Bit the bullet and bought a Peugeot 3008!
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By french-car-newb

Thread: Bit the bullet and bought a Peugeot 3008!

Icon12 Bit the bullet and bought a Peugeot 3008!

Went to a used car dealer and test drove the Peugeot 3008. Wow! What a car and just loved the way it handles. It was a petrol version XSE 1.6 Turbo. It feels and drives like a Car or hatch rather than an SUV, the higher seat position provides great all round visibility. Just loved the HUD! You can view the speed, and distance to the car in front without taking your eyes off the road. The seats are really comfortable though a bit small. Took a few minutes to get used to the indicator levers being on the wrong side of the steering column. The air con seemed powerful and the sound system pretty much up there. The central storage opens from the other side (obviously these are designed for LHD) but not a big issue. There are illuminating lights everywhere! One even under the rear view mirrors (there is a term for this just don't remember) which switch off after a few minutes. The rear parking sensors, electrical mirrors, electric mirror adjustments, seatbelt indicators (ok I am missing a few standard features) is all there. Now the "pièce de résistance" (pias de resistance as the french would say it), the panaromic roof! I don't know how to describe this experience. The whole cabin suddenly feels so much bigger. I am looking forward to the night time moon roof experience. The rear boot design is really clever. Adjustable floor, the 12v camping socket, the rechargeable torch (now why don't Japanese cars have these features?). Fold the back seats and you can fit a baby elephant inside! The split trunk is a clever design and allows you to slide heavy gear without having to negotiate the cargo lip.

I am not sure the Peugeots deserve the bad publicity they get in Australia and without saying too much I will stop there and not tempt the devil. I will review the car a month down the track as I get to know it a bit more.

Advertisement

Oh yes and for the record I also drove a Honda Jazz. After driving the Peugeot it felt like driving a 1960s truck!

Thanks for listening.
    Last edited by french-car-newb; 13th September 2014 at 02:20 PM.
    addo and pugnut1 like this.

Welcome to the club. I bought an 8 year old Renault for $1800 almost three years ago, my first French car. It was supposed to be temporary, but it proved to be such a good car, I've still got it. I've just bought my second Frenchie, a 1985 Citroen CX, a dream car since I was six.

One of my work colleagues described it as over-engineered European excessiveness. Which I think French cars sort of are. Like you I was absolutely amazed at the little things about my Clio when I first got it. So many things that have been cost cut out of other cars, or just never developed. There weren't too many light cars in that era with 4 airbags and ABS. Sure they were priced at the upper end of the light car segment, but when you added similar features (air, CD, remote locking) to competitors, many were dearer.

I think part of the reason for their reputation is that they are quite advanced cars, and therefore more complex than say a Toyota (but no different to other advanced cars, particularly Europeans), and their limited presence in Australia means importers only stock a limited suply of parts, meaning that sometimes people can be waiting a while. Along with many mechanic's reluctance to work on them (much like a Mercedes), these factors all combine to push down resale. Which is a shame.

I think French makers are slowly turning the tide in Australia, helped along by two of the most generous warranties in Australia from Renault and Citroen, and hopefully this will improve sales, and smash the stereotypes.

Quote Originally Posted by DanielBendigo View Post
    Welcome to the club.

I think French makers are slowly turning the tide in Australia, helped along by two of the most generous warranties in Australia from Renault and Citroen, and hopefully this will improve sales, and smash the stereotypes.
    I did a fair bit of research and came to the same conclusion every time. French cars are well ahead in technology than the Japanese counterparts. For example the panoramic roof feature has been a feature of the Peugeot 207 and 307 for many years. It is only now I see in on the Mitsubishi ASX. Yes you will have the naysayers telling you it heats up the car which is a topic for another discussion. Anyway I am keeping tight lipped for now.

You're on the slippery slope now; a car decision made with passion is your new benchmark. Make sure to try it out on some longer drives where the Jizz would be just too cramped or jiggly.

Tadpole

Well done matey, welcome to the French Revolution! haha

My LOVE for French cars all started with my first car a Peugeot 205GTI then a 206GTI then now a 308XSE THP... People often ask me why 'French' cars??? (including my loving Partner, shes a BMW girl) I tell them all the same thing:

1. Look at them to start with So much design and thought go into their cars they just look great! IMO
    2. Standard features are longggg, tell me what car in 2008 had Auto headlights/Wipers/Dimming Rear View/Heated door mirrors/Auto retracting side mirrors/Seat Heaters/Panoramic sunroof just to name a few and all for under $35k?
    3. Legendary French car comfort and handling... Maybe they got a bit soft over the years, but i much prefer a long stint in my 308 then in my partner 1-series!

Like anything, Treat them well and they will LOVE you back in return!

Well done, french-car-newb

I hope it gives you years of motoring pleasure.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Thread Information