Clutch Cable - 205 GTi (BE1 Gearbox)
  • Register
  • Help

Default Clutch Cable - 205 GTi (BE1 Gearbox)

HI,

Just a quick question to anyone that has replaced one of these.

I'm noticing that when I depress the clutch, the pedal has a real gritty feel to it.

So.. I preparations of replacing it.. how is it done?? The Haynes manual talks about doing it for a left hand drive / BE3 gearbox.

Will I need to get the car in the air? or is it all done from the footwell / engine bay when the cable ends.

Advertisement

thanks
    Justin

P.s what $$$ am I looking at?
    Pugsley The 1987 205 GTi Peugeot

Quote Originally Posted by Justin B
    HI,

Just a quick question to anyone that has replaced one of these.

I'm noticing that when I depress the clutch, the pedal has a real gritty feel to it.

So.. I preparations of replacing it.. how is it done?? The Haynes manual talks about doing it for a left hand drive / BE3 gearbox.

Will I need to get the car in the air? or is it all done from the footwell / engine bay when the cable ends.

thanks
    Justin

P.s what $$$ am I looking at?
    You can do it with the car on the ground if you can fit your head under the sump Ramps would be easier though. Really is quite simple to do. Difficult with a 16V head in the way Haynes books are usually wrong anyway. Only useful for rebuilding motors - those Chaper 2 sections are invaluable.

I built my 16V 205 and fit a BE1 system to a late model BE3 as standard car so I could run a '87 BE1 close-ratio box with the 16V motor.

Anyway, you need to get into the footwell...
    1. Remove the lower plastic panel in the drivers footwell.
    2. Undo the bolt and nut holding the clutch pedal to the pedal bracket and lower the pedal (there is a spring you will need to un-catch from the metal bracket - just twist the spring by the coil upwards with dry fingers.
    3. Remove the circlip on the end of the clutch pedal pin. Remove the pin and release the cable.
    4. From under the car (hence ramps helps), rotate the white cable end (going into the pedal bracket) 90 degrees (either way) and the cable will release.
    5. The gearbox end you should be able to reach from under the car.
    6. Refitting is reverse procedure (funny that)
    Just make sure you thread the new cable back through the same obstacles in the engine bay to avoid sharp turns and pedal feel of cable "binding".

Tadpole

i am also looking for a clutch cable for my GTI1.6 with a BE1 box, would you have the right part number by any chance

cheers

Thread Information