GTI Seat Care tips
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default GTI Seat Care tips

Hey People

I have noticed that the seats on gti 180's (and I'm guessing they are the same as those on a 206 gti) have velour type material (is that the alcantara material?) and seem to be leather around the edges (correct me if I am wrong). What I want to know is, what would be the best way to look after these seats?

Seat covers are a bit naff, so I wanna avoid em. So will the seat materials wear out after a few years of use? And how do you best prevent that, apart from not sitting in the seat itself

Advertisement

Thanks for any feedback
    Bad_Karma

"The great philisopher Bashra once said... A flute without holes is not a flute, a donut without a hole is a danish" Ty Webb, Pro Golfer, CaddyShack

XTC

Sorry can't suggest much, there is scotch guard products, but for the Alcantera material on my GTi I've just been very very careful. Rule number 1 - no eating in the car. Rule number 2 - if your hot and sweaty - put a towel down first. There is also suede products on the market that might help.

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

the dealer should have scotch guarded the seats in pre inspection

they did with my car anyway and i was told it was general practice for all new pugs throughout the dealerships
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Quote Originally Posted by bad_karma
    Hey People

I have noticed that the seats on gti 180's (and I'm guessing they are the same as those on a 206 gti) have velour type material (is that the alcantara material?) and seem to be leather around the edges (correct me if I am wrong). What I want to know is, what would be the best way to look after these seats?

Seat covers are a bit naff, so I wanna avoid em. So will the seat materials wear out after a few years of use? And how do you best prevent that, apart from not sitting in the seat itself :)

Thanks for any feedback
    Kermit is nearly 4yrs old (May '00 delivery) with 65k on the clock. The cloth is Alcantara and ours shows no sign of wear. I have seen younger 206 GTi's with alot less ks and the seats have been in very poor condition.

I treat the leather with lanolin (by-product of lambs wool grease). The leather has developed wear lines from consistantly getting in and out of the car but it remains supple so it won't crack or tear.
    Cheers Simon
    >8-]

Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Polo Green '01 406 Coupe (5spd Man)
    Tuscany Green '00 206 GTi (Croaked!)

My Flickr Photos

206gti.net
    peugeot-206gti
    peugeot-307
    peugeot-407
    peugeotclub.asn.au

Alcantara is a synthetic suede and is very very expensive, but is that way because it's hard wearing. I'd just recommend a suede brush that you can get for shoes and jackets to ensure that dirt doesn't set into it.l Apart from that I don't think there is much else you can do to protect it.

Type Alcantara into a search on www.autopia.org

Quote Originally Posted by bad_karma
    Hey People

Seat covers are a bit naff, so I wanna avoid em. So will the seat materials wear out after a few years of use? And how do you best prevent that, apart from not sitting in the seat itself

Thanks for any feedback
    Hey Jim,

I wouldn't worry about it too much since the seats in your house get much more useage and they don't wear out. The biggest killer is dirt, so make sure you vacuum it once a fortnight or so. Use a gentle brush head on the vacuum, or one of those portable car vacuums. Don't use the vacuum cleaners you get at the Car lovers places etc, they have huge suction and are great for carpet, but their plastic heads can be abrasive on the seats.

Dunno what you'd use on the alcantra. I know it feels like suede but I'm not if it is suede. If it is suede, dunno maybe someone here can help. But if it isn't, just use a 303 or meguiars citric based apholstery cleaner. Spray it on lightly, leave on for 5 mins then wipe off using warm water. I have cloth seats with leather surrounds/bolsters so I use the meguiars stuff, making sure I wipe the leather with the warm water too to make sure any accidently apholstery spray on the leather is removed. Then I condition the leather with stuff I got from a saddlery, it's called GE WY or something, just go into a saddlery and ask for car leather conditioner. Trust me, it's better than any 'car leather product' you get from an autoshop. The one I got cost $30 for a decent tub that'll last probably 6 months for my car since it's not full leather, and it's the same product Rolls royce use on their connolly leather.

I think 303 makes an excellent scotchguard product to protect cloth, but I dunno if you can use it on suede. Check!

btw the bloody gti180 seats hold you in place better than that bird you met on that Greek island So my point is, since your arse won't be sliding all over the shop, there'd be bugger all abrasion on the seat unless you get in and out of your car 20 times a day.

cheers,
    Jude
    Take the long way home....

- 306 gti6

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks for the advice ppl! Man this place is a gem for info!
    Bad_Karma

"The great philisopher Bashra once said... A flute without holes is not a flute, a donut without a hole is a danish" Ty Webb, Pro Golfer, CaddyShack

Quote Originally Posted by GTI124
    Alcantara is a synthetic suede and is very very expensive, but is that way because it's hard wearing. I'd just recommend a suede brush that you can get for shoes and jackets to ensure that dirt doesn't set into it.l Apart from that I don't think there is much else you can do to protect it.

Type Alcantara into a search on www.autopia.org
    Ahh so it isn't suede afterall. There's a suede brush!? I've got a light coloured suede jacket that gets dirty so easily and I've spent a fortune on drycleaning it!

btw Lincoln, what'd you think of the Port? You probably saw more of it in today than I did in 2 yrs here. Sorry I couldn't make it for a drive or lunch today..won't even start about the amount of work at the moment..which probably leads you to the question, what am I doing typing on AF..

adios..have a great trip to Melb' and F1! lucky bastard
    Take the long way home....

- 306 gti6

Yep, there are suede brushes. Any good shoe repair or shoe store will have them. Midas (the shoe company) make a spray to protect suede, but it's for suede not alcantara, and I doubt that such a spray would help Alcantara...actually I think it'd harm it!

Port is gorgeous! It really is going to kick on in the next few years. The exhibition was really good, you should head down there for lunch, if you can. I shot a few photos, but being the middle of the day, the light wasn't very good. It's gone all overcast so this evening won't work that well either. See how it goes early tomorrow as I might head up again to get some more shots. Not to worry about not joining me, you chat on the phone was good enough!

Thread Information