My first Peugeot, am I doing the right thing? :-)
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 68 404

Thread: My first Peugeot, am I doing the right thing? :-)

Tadpole

Default My first Peugeot, am I doing the right thing? :-)

Hi all,
    I am picking up my new car on Saturday, a 2009 Peugeot 308 CC 2.0 Ltr HDI with 54,000 Km on the clock with full service history (only brake pads, battery and tyres replaced).
    why? Cos I was fed up with running a boring Toyota Camry and wanted something a bit different!

have I made a good choice, only time will tell.
    m
    the main reason for posting though is because the dealer is offering an extended warranty for 2 years, an extension to the manufacturers warranty for $1400. This seemed expensive to me especially as it does not cover the folding roof mechanism, oil/carbon choked turbos and the particulate filter .... Some of the things I would guess that I may have issues with.
    The question I would like to put out there is how reliable is the HDI 308 and should I consider the extended warranty on offer.

cheers
    Peter

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

Is it an auto?

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Tadpole

Yes it is a 6 speed automatic.

I wouldn't bother with the extended warranty. If things were going to go bung they would have by now. Also remember that the mechanic will quibble with any claims you may make anyway.

At 54K km, this Pug diesel is barely run in and the 6 speed is a nice box. Make sure you do plenty of freeway/country runs to keep everything happy inside.

A nice car, enjoy!

Dave
    BIGRR likes this.
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

Tadpole

Thanks for your thoughts Dave.
    I must say that I am with you on the comment re the warranty company finding anything to escape paying the costs. It didn't surprise me that the folding roof, particulate filter and turbo, if it failed due to lack of oil, would not be covered. These are the things I thought would possibly give problems and was looking for cover for.

How is the general reliability of the 308's?

1000+ Posts

The DW10B motor (I presume that's the one) is reliable, provided you use the correct oil and change it as required. The wrong oils can lead to $ trouble (EGR, turbo, particulate filter).

You'll very quickly get attached to the torque available.

1000+ Posts

That does sound pricey. I got the extended warranty on my wife's Mondeo (doubled, Ford factory warranty) and it was 'only' $900.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Fellow Frogger!

The 308 HDi is a great car. Mine is the hatch, but I'm sure it's much the same car besides body shape. With that many K's it will probably need a new set of front discs soon. But that's no big deal.
    Welcome to Peugeot. They are addictive you know?!😁

Tadpole

Hi tonch, spot on re the brake pads. A note from the last sevice stated that they would need replaced!
    As I still have to wait until saturday to seal the deal I thought I'd test drive another cc that was being sold privately. This one drove very well, smoother accelerationnand no sign of the minor vibration I felt on the first car until it warmed up. It is a 2010 model, same engine, full leather spec, 15000km less but $10000 more on the asking price.
    Shame about the price difference cos I would have snapped the new car up!

Thread Information