engine overhaul
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: engine overhaul

Default engine overhaul

I am a recently signed up on Aussie frogs. I am pug petrolhead who recently bought a 504 pickup body and 2 litre engine. I know what to do with the body but what about the engine. Its seized,rust allover,the block and cylinder head is intact however. Should I go all out to completely strip engine and send parts for remanufacture? Or buy an new parts-cylinder head and block included?

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

Rust on the block is no issue. It's cast iron and should clean up OK.
    The internal condition could be interesting, depends if the crank moves or not.
    Pick-ups (we call them utes) are usually diesel, I understand, though there's no reason a petrol motor wouldn't be used. There would only be a handful in Australia - all private imports.
    It wouldn't hurt to get another motor, as quite often you can pick the best parts out of two motors.
    I would suggest that a complete dismantling and rebuild would be essential if the motor's been sitting outside.
    Good luck with your project. I would have loved to have had a 504 ute.
    1998 Peugeot 406 D8SV Manual
    1999 Peugeot 406 D8ST Auto
    2002 Peugeot 406 D9SV Manual
    1994 Peuegot 306 N3 Cabriolet Manual
    1994 Peugeot 306 XR N3 Hatch
    1995 Peugeot 505 GTI executive
    1976 Peugeot 504 Sedan - Now sold

Over 60 Pugs in my time
    Gerry Mullock

Thanks bro! That's the engine that needs to be redone
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails engine overhaul-uploadfromtaptalk1418236366101.jpg  

Was it sitting outside in the rain ? If so, water has probably got inside and rusted the bores.

If not, then you may be surprised by the good condition when you take off the cylinder head and sump.

Don't worry about the external appearance. Can you turn the engine over ?

Its seized. Can't turn the flywheel. Its probably rusted in the bores as you suggested.

Funds permitted, l will be opening up the engine on January 2015.Can't wait to see the insides though

Fellow Frogger!

That is a1.8 litre engine so your first job is go and find a 2 litre engine from an early 505 or a very late 504
    The later crankshafts do not have sludge plugs in the crank and are stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by ianrobbo View Post
    That is a1.8 litre engine so your first job is go and find a 2 litre engine from an early 505 or a very late 504
    The later crankshafts do not have sludge plugs in the crank and are stronger.
    How did you tell its a 1,8 liter?I thought it was 2 liter. So maybe I have to increase the bore to standard 2 liter by machining processes?

Fellow Frogger!

The carby manifold in your picture is a 4 bolt to the head and 2 studs to take a single throat 38 mm carby
    The 2 litre engine is totally different crank, block, pistons and head.

Quote Originally Posted by ianrobbo View Post
    The carby manifold in your picture is a 4 bolt to the head and 2 studs to take a single throat 38 mm carby
    The 2 litre engine is totally different crank, block, pistons and head.
    Thanx bro. I will have to do with what I have. That engine will be placed into a pug truck body after being redone. I will have to mod it to compensate for the 200 cc decrease from standard 2 liter then?

VIP Sponsor

It could well be a 2litre or likely a later 1.8 with the same block as the two litre, I've even seen a square port engine with an adaptor to fit a single carb.
    Open up the engine and report back.

Quote Originally Posted by sithabisoandrew View Post
    Thanx bro. I will have to do with what I have. That engine will be placed into a pug truck body after being redone. I will have to mod it to compensate for the 200 cc decrease from standard 2 liter then?

OK thanx for the info. I will open up the engine on January 2015.Will keep posting any findings online

I am back. Not opened the engine yet, some other commitments took over. However, will open anytime from now. I have seen this engine takes a 38 mm solex carby single barrel. Its a 1.8 liter. I want to send the block and head for rebore. Standard bore of 2 liter is 88 mm vs the current one of 84 mm,correct? Obviously, l will have to fit new pistons to match the new bore, right? After lam done which carby do l fit on the common plenum chamber. Do l also need to increase the diameter of the plenum chamber to make up for the increased engine capacity? Iam a weber carb enthusiast ,which carby do you recommend for optimum performance? Seriously I intend to go the Weber route, help me people.

VIP Sponsor

You won't be able to rebore to 88mm you will need to fit the 2 litre liners and pistons, assuming this is an XM7 not an XM.
    The Solex will be 34 mm not 38.
    We need photos please.

Fellow Frogger!

by the shape of the inlet manifold it's an 8.8 compression 1800 XM7 (there's also a 7.5 version, and maybe something in between too).
    if you convert to 2000 don't forget to find a suitable dizzy as well.
    Last edited by 2pac; 19th March 2015 at 02:39 PM.

Pardon me for the slang "dizzy" but I think your refer to the distributor, right? I am from southern Africa you know. Anyway, if you refer to the distributor l have no problem there, lam fitting the magneti marrelli distributor as the one factory fitted in the 505.Incidentally,the 505 is the other car that I own.

505 lam talking about. Its got magneti marrelli distributor as a factory fitted item.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails engine overhaul-uploadfromtaptalk1426752196736.jpg  

A Weber from a Renault Fuego or Renault 20 fits straight on. The jets will be the correct size. Are there any of them at wreckers in your area ? I'm not sure if you will need to extend the throttle spindle to fit the drum which the accelerator cable winds around. You do need to do this if you fit a Weber from a Ford....and you need to fit different jets for a Ford one too.

I'm getting a Fuego carburettor for my 505 in the next few days, so I'll let you know.

Fellow Frogger!

Hi there ,
    peugeot parts new and s/h should be available in sth Africa ,
    contact Mtippet on this forum , he has some contacts in SA
    Good luck

Good for me, thanks. It seems l have everything l need on this forum. I'll contact him.

Fellow Frogger!

what type of weber is there in fuego/r20, and why is it better than the solex?

All l know is that weber is the carb of choice for those wishing to maximize their engine's fullest potential. An added plus, lam told weber has a conversion kit for a 504 xm7 engine. I don't even need to modify the plenum chamber. Its already got an adapter base that bolts directly on top of the plenum chamber of the engine that I will upgrade to 2 liters. Its a double barrel Weber 32/36 DGV complete with all the necessary attachments and air filter. I am definitely gunning for that one for my xm 7 engine.

And its already prejetted so its simply fit on, kick and go

Thread Information