GTI 180 - Fixed Anti-Pollution Fault! Car runs fine but Engine Light still on! Help!
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default GTI 180 - Fixed Anti-Pollution Fault! Car runs fine but Engine Light still on! Help!

Around 2 weeks ago the car was running rough, screen says "anti-pollution fault" so I Googled the symptoms and the overwhelming response was coil pack.

Took the car to the Local Pug dealer (Wollongong, NSW).

Scan the ECU and they confirmed it was the coil pack.

So I bought one from the UK and after installation and waiting over an hour (something about advanced mapping) I started the car and it runs and drives perfect.

However the engine light is still on. Can it reset it myself or do I need to go and pay another $120 or so at the dealership just to clear the light?

Thanks in advance guys! (and girls too!)

Advertisement

There may be another fault. The engine light can be triggered by a bunch of things, and it's possible the car, during its misfiring phase, has prematurely aged one of your oxygen sensors or your catalytic converter.

Can you find anyone who has Diagbox or Peugeot Planet and can look at your car, other than a dealer?

Tadpole

No I don't know anyone with that kind of stuff. So I'm guessing my only hope is to go back to the dealership and re-scan the ECU.

The reason why I ask is because when I took the car to the dealer's the first time, they cleared the fault and said it would be back in a day or so (actually came back on during the drive home). Cheers for the fast reply!

The pirated diagnostic gear costs about $300, including a secondhand laptop. Use it less than five times, and you're ahead.

If you're not that type of hands-on, why not post in the "Parts" classifieds asking who has the diagnostic gear, in your area? I've nothing against the dealers personally, but the car is probably of an age where they are not so familiar with them and therefore less interested. Sometimes you get further with a like-minded enthusiast.

Icon6

G'day,
    one of the ways to fix recalcitrant dash lights is to disconnect the battery for about 5 minutes, then reconnect and wait another minute or so and then turn the key to on and wait until all the lights extinguish.
    Do a search of the forum, the correct procedure is here, somewhere. It has been a while since I did this, but it usually works.
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

Tadpole

Hey guys, I drove the car today and the light was off and there didn't seem to be any other problems. If it returns I'll try the above instructions. Thanks heaps for the info guys!

Icon6

G'day,
    there you go, welcome to Peugeot eccentricities.
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

Most anti-pollution faults require 2-3 good starts without the fault before the message disappears, AFAIK.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Thread Information