wobbly fan on a 79 504 GL
  • Register
  • Help

Default wobbly fan on a 79 504 GL

About 2 years ago my car (1979 504 GL) started to make weird noises, and when i investigated it turned out to be a wobbly fan, caused by a mangled water pump which i then replaced.

just the other day my car started to make those same noises, and i checked the fan and it is wobbly.. so im thinking it might be the pump again..

does anyone have any idea why this might be the case? is it common to have to replace the water pump 2 years after it has been replaced? could my fan belt be too tight?

Advertisement

im happy to pull out the pump and put a new one in, but i thought it'd be a good idea to see if there is some underlying problem that is causing it to play up..

thanks

The belt is too tight.

Doing the Daffyduck dance via the AussieFrogs app. With a cane! gimp quack quack ow ow ow.

1000+ Posts

As Daffyduck said, check the fan belt tightness. From memory you should have about a finger thickness deflection on the longer section between pulleys.

If this is the case it's probably caused by overtension on the pump bearings.

Some of the water pumps available these days aren't as robust as they were when the car was new, you get what you pay for.

I have quite a number of second hand water pumps, but would prefer to use a new one if I need to.
    1998 Peugeot 406 D8SV Manual
    1999 Peugeot 406 D8ST Auto
    2002 Peugeot 406 D9SV Manual
    1994 Peuegot 306 N3 Cabriolet Manual
    1994 Peugeot 306 XR N3 Hatch
    1995 Peugeot 505 GTI executive
    1976 Peugeot 504 Sedan - Now sold

Over 60 Pugs in my time
    Gerry Mullock

Hang on a tic....isn't there a bearing in the hub, which is mounted outside the water pump ? The fan is mounted on THAT, isn't it ?
    Wobble it by hand and see if it's the shaft coming out of the pump which is moving..

Thread Information