Orientation B6's rear MI16 405
  • Register
  • Help

Default Orientation B6's rear MI16 405

As per pic, I don't think the 25 year old original (!) OEM struts are working anymore. Nevermind - some new B6's will fix that!

Orientation B6's rear MI16 405-stuts.jpg

Advertisement

So - which way do they go in? On the black plastic boot, there is an 'Up' arrow pointing towards the yellow end (assuming 'up' means higher up than the black end), but if I put the yellow end at the highest mounting location (i.e just under the boot floor), the black plastic cup will be facing up and get dirt/water/rubbish stuck in it.

I would have thought that the black end would be mounted at the highest point - i.e closest to the boot floor.

Thoughts?

Dont know anything about pugs...
    But recognised your shocks in this image..
    RuudsRacePaleis

Good work! That it how I thought they should be installed.
    GT

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    Dont know anything about pugs...
    But recognised your shocks in this image..
    RuudsRacePaleis

Aren't the bolt diameters different?

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

1000+ Posts

quote...

With the internal design of the Bilstein monotube gas shocks, it does not matter whether the shocks are mounted with the shock rod side up or down. There are some minor advantages in longevity and overall suspension effectiveness with the shock rod pointed down, and there are many instances where Bilstein has changed the orientation to take advantage of these minor improvements where there are no clearance problems. If there is an option, we recommend mounting the shock with the shock rod and boot pointing down, but in the grand scheme of things, there is no noticeable difference.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Nope - same bolt shaft diameter.
    GT
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
    Aren't the bolt diameters different?

This would indicate why the arrow on the dust boot and the words 'up' show towards the yellow end - i guess indicating that the cylinder end of the strut is mounted at the highest point.

Still find it strange why you would mount a dust cap effectively upside down allowing crap to collect in there.
    GT

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey View Post
    quote...

With the internal design of the Bilstein monotube gas shocks, it does not matter whether the shocks are mounted with the shock rod side up or down. There are some minor advantages in longevity and overall suspension effectiveness with the shock rod pointed down, and there are many instances where Bilstein has changed the orientation to take advantage of these minor improvements where there are no clearance problems. If there is an option, we recommend mounting the shock with the shock rod and boot pointing down, but in the grand scheme of things, there is no noticeable difference.

It is actually a 'stone guard', Germany is a little too moist/damp to actually have proper dust.
    Inspect carefully and you might find a very small hole in the boot near the shaft, point this downwards as it acts as the drain tube for the water/road grime/stray hamsters etc.
    Brendan.

Thread Information