rear brake pressure regulating value adjustment
  • Register
  • Help

Default rear brake pressure regulating value adjustment

Hi, haynes manual says that the rear brake pressure regulating value adjustment must be performed by a 'qualified Peugeot mechanic' for a 405 with disk brakes.

Advertisement

Any comments from people in the know to how to check this in the home garage/workshop?

Geoff

Yes, park on a hill, facing downwards. On rear wheels on car ramps. Very special techniques indeed!

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

It is supposed to register certain standing pressures for rated loads over the rear axle. You'll need to cook up a gauge with bleeder, to read off one rear caliper feed pipe.

The effect in a nutshell, is bugger-all rear braking under light loads, and full flow at maximum load. Driving with it hardwired for full flow, produces some interesting effects if you have to attempt a crash stop.

Is it that you're trying to bleed the rear brakes & having problems that you think the proportioning valve is faulty? If so, you need to jack up the right hand trailing arm to activate the valve, then bleeding can go ahead.
    Track car-Steel Grey 405 Mi16 2.2 litre

405 Track car build thread moved to-
    http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index...ic=143279&st=0

Lap times-
    Sandown 1 27.9
    Phillip Island 1 53.8

Previous Frenchies-
    1988 205Gti
    1998 306 GTi6
    1997 306 N5 sedan
    1996 306 N3 XT hatch
    1976 Renault R16TS manual in Avocado
    1976 Renault R16TS manual in Trak Yellow
    1975 Renault 5 Guernsey, Channel Islands
    1972 Renault 4 Guernsey, Channel Islands

Fellow Frogger!

Fitted valves to both mi s never adjusted one always bleed them with all wheels on ground the rears can take a bit of bleeding time but My rear pads on both mi wear down slowly so are working

Do not think it has a problem - just changing all hubs, rotors, lines, rear struts, etc and wondered if it needs adjustment or just leave as-is.

Do they have a habit of failing? How would you test?

You could test for full pressure at maximum simulated load (say 580kg occupants, 120kg luggage) by comparing to front line pressures. Then check pressure drops away sharply at the rear when just one 80k dummy weight in the car's front seats.

Quote Originally Posted by mi16pug View Post
    How would you test?
    If I had lots of time and a brake pressure gauge, a manual with the thresholds vs ride height and a 4 post hoist.....I'd do it by the book (at least thats the renault book way), but as I dont have any of those things I'd simply get my tyre pressures sorted, do an emergency stop at 30km/h on white concrete and get out and look at the skid marks. Dont go too fast or the front skid marks and rear skid marks join up and confuse the issue.

That is how I check mine and diagnose a faulty valve.

Jo

Sounds good to me - i'll give this a go when back on the road and out of the workshop. Thanks.
    GT

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    If I had lots of time and a brake pressure gauge, a manual with the thresholds vs ride height and a 4 post hoist.....I'd do it by the book (at least thats the renault book way), but as I dont have any of those things I'd simply get my tyre pressures sorted, do an emergency stop at 30km/h on white concrete and get out and look at the skid marks. Dont go too fast or the front skid marks and rear skid marks join up and confuse the issue.

That is how I check mine and diagnose a faulty valve.

Jo

Thread Information