• Register
  • Help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Kaza1
  • 1 Post By addo
  • 1 Post By addo

Thread: Peugeot 308 replacement key options

Default Peugeot 308 replacement key options

Have done quite a bit of research and appreciate help with confirming or correcting my understanding. The 2009 308 has one remote no blade and one separate key. I want 2 fully functioning remotes.
    If I understand it correctly each key has a unique Id that is programmed into the immobiliser. If you have 2 they have separate id.
    I can buy one shell and blade, get it cut and move the internals across giving me one good key. For the second Peugeot price @ $500 or an locksmith @ Homebush for $300 are a bit rich. Picked up a used second hand key from the UK for $11 and another shell blade for $5. Would it work getting this cut and immobiliser programmed to recognise it? Understand they cannot be reprogrammed. Alternative is a virgin blank from aliexpress ($50) and cloning the original or getting it programmed. What would work, what other costs might be involved and who might do it? I live on the northern beaches of Sydney. Thanks
    Bazzan
    PS I have the pin card

Via the aussiefrogs App

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

Had the locksmith guy at paddys market on Saturdays clone a key for me. It's not a remote key, but is fine for a spare. Cost $100 include key, cutting and cloning. Have one remote key and one clone key.
    Bazzan likes this.

You can probably order just a blade, or "clé taillée" from any competent locksmith who can cut from a code or measurement. That should get your remote fob sorted, for the other why not buy off an overseas dealer? You might have to send a scan of your registration papers and licence as they have to satisfy themselves you are the registered owner (which calls for sighting of the V5c in the UK, or carte grise in France).

In Sydney, Warrens seem to come up cheaper than Trivett's quite often - they tend not to hit you with a special order surcharge. Did they quote you on a 6490R9? All the 308 remote keys are sub €100 in France, even with 20%TVA.
    Bazzan likes this.

Thanks Kaza1 and addo. Places to shop around. Noticed overseas prices were considerably cheaper but everything I read suggested they needed the car to program a new remote to the Immobilizer. Did i get that wrong?
    The $500 price i got was from Alec Mildren Peugeot in Artarmon. It was a phone estimate so not sure what a 6490R9 is. There is a Trivetts sticker on the car. Did not understand what that signified. Guess they have this car on file which might effect the cost.
    Thanks
    Bazzan
    Last edited by Bazzan; 24th August 2014 at 06:37 AM. Reason: typo

If you can look on the front hinge pillars one side will have a sticker, the first line of which is XXXXXCC where the X represents a number and the C a character

The five numbers are your RPO, or as the French confusingly call it, OPR. It decodes to the exact date of logging the vehicle's upcoming "birth" in the system. This number is often the determinant for changes to model details or specification. It doesn't allow any knowledge of secure details specific to a car such as a key's actual tooth profile or wheel locknut code.

With the RPO and knowledge of the body type (wagon, hatch, cabriolet) it's possible to determine the specific remote you need - the part number I cited was an educated guess.

Coding in a new (virginal) remote key requires plugging in with a diagnostic tool and knowledge of the 4 character secure code on your card. It then takes only a very few minutes. You generally need to hand, all keys you will use with the car as they are all programmed in at once.
    Bazzan likes this.

OK. So if they need all keys at once, it cannot be done overseas. I can purchase a virgin blank from o/s but need to find someone willing to program and forgo the Aussie tax.
    Bazzan

Sent from my GT-I8730 using aussiefrogs mobile app

For anyone looking at refurbing their remote, managed to get a blank from ebay for $5. Mr Minit cut the blank (no guarantee) for $40. At least I have 2 functional keys.
    Bazzan

Great result, under $50.

Thread Information