Battery light in 405
  • Register
  • Help

Default Battery light in 405

Gday all

a few times last week my battery light has been illuminated about 10%, it does fully turn it self on. This only seems to happen when i have my driving lights on.

Advertisement

Tonight it went up to about 25% illuminated for a short period of time and possibly some flairing or flickering of driving lights..

1 driving light stopped working for about a year, along with the inside illuminated switch, untill i replaced a blown 5am fuse with a 25am fuse and they worked again to my surprize..

Im just wondering if this is a sign of a short, or perhaps a failing alternator, or much worse? i did check the battery with a multimeater and it was charging at 13-14v...

Cheers
    Nathan
    oh yeah 91 405 mi16, and after market 55w halo slim line driving lights..
    ===============
    1991 Peugeot 405 Mi16
    1994 Toyota Camry CSI
    2002 Honda CBR600F4i
    1989 Honda CD250U
    www.mad-biker.com
    ===============

Quote Originally Posted by MadBiker
    Gday all

a few times last week my battery light has been illuminated about 10%, it does fully turn it self on. This only seems to happen when i have my driving lights on.

Tonight it went up to about 25% illuminated for a short period of time and possibly some flairing or flickering of driving lights..

1 driving light stopped working for about a year, along with the inside illuminated switch, untill i replaced a blown 5am fuse with a 25am fuse and they worked again to my surprize..

Im just wondering if this is a sign of a short, or perhaps a failing alternator, or much worse? i did check the battery with a multimeater and it was charging at 13-14v...

Cheers
    Nathan
    oh yeah 91 405 mi16, and after market 55w halo slim line driving lights..
    Nathan. I had a similar problem on the way to the sydney test, Steve waughs last test, 6 am, braidwood, full load of brothers in law and the [email protected]#$#@$# thing stops. Im still wearing the disgrace.It turned out to be the alternator brushes and wasnt a terribly expensive fix but the real problem was as the battery discharges the ABL brakes started to play up with the pedal jumping around. Not a nice feeling so get your alternator serviced. Cheers greg

So it could be the death of the alternator..

How much did it cost to get new brushes in the alternator?

cheers
    Nathan
    ===============
    1991 Peugeot 405 Mi16
    1994 Toyota Camry CSI
    2002 Honda CBR600F4i
    1989 Honda CD250U
    www.mad-biker.com
    ===============

I had it fixed by the fantastic NRMA guy in Braidwood. He couldnt believe that anyone could design a car with the alternator in that spot, but managed to get it out without dismantling the inlet manifold. Cost was around $90 and no problems since. I thought later it would be a good idea to change alternator brushes when working on the starter as it would be easily accessible. greg

If the Mi16 is the same as the BX 16V you can make life a bit simpler for yourself if you jack the car up, remove the front drivers side road wheel & remove the black plastic inner guard.
    Everyone always seem to have this phobia about accessing everything from the top but in this instance it improves access by about 50%. Mind you, still hard to get at. Starter motor; take the radiator out.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Thread Information