Exporting a 205 to Perth
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Exporting a 205 to Perth

Hi all,

Advertisement

Im considering migrating with my Australian girlfriend from England to Perth WA. I will of course want to take my beloved 205 GTi with me. Could anyone give me any advise / opinions / warnings about doing this? Particularly what i should do to the (non-air con) car in order to make it perform ok in the Perth climate.

thanks all..

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by Rob S
    Hi all,

Im considering migrating with my Australian girlfriend from England to Perth WA. I will of course want to take my beloved 205 GTi with me. Could anyone give me any advise / opinions / warnings about doing this? Particularly what i should do to the (non-air con) car in order to make it perform ok in the Perth climate.

thanks all..
    Hey Rob,

if your 205 is greater than 15yrs old to the month that you're planning on importing it then it shouldn't be a problem bringing in to the country. The main costs are transport and registration. If its not yet 15 yrs old then you may be up for anywhere between $2000 - $5000 in compliance fees.

The following site will have more info: http://www.dotars.gov.au/
    Basically there are two ways you can import a car into AUS. The first is the 15yr rule under DOTARS which states if a car is greater than 15yrs old then you can basically import it without too much diffuculty (this rule may change any time now as they're wanting to change it to 20 or 30 yrs). The 2nd method is via SEVS which is for cars younger than 15yrs - this method has more strict compliance costing for more as mentioned above and can only be imported by registered workshops not individuals. Each workshop can only register 100 cars per yr (hence making it harder to locate one that hasn't reach its limit yet).

Hope this helps - good luck

XTC

Hi Rob,

While I don't know about the ins and outs of importing cars, no A/C, you will melt here ! Seriously, yes people live without it, but not by choice, the sun here is harsh, very harsh (so OK QLD'ers will recon it's hotter there - at least it rains!). So if you have the opportunity to fit A/C in the UK as parts will be cheaper, do so.

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Quote Originally Posted by XTC206
    Hi Rob,

While I don't know about the ins and outs of importing cars, no A/C, you will melt here ! Seriously, yes people live without it, but not by choice, the sun here is harsh, very harsh (so OK QLD'ers will recon it's hotter there - at least it rains!). So if you have the opportunity to fit A/C in the UK as parts will be cheaper, do so.

- XTC206 -
    Guy, the worst thing about the heat in Qld is the humidity. Dry heat is ok, but wet heat just knocks you about to much. A/C is a must.
    Cheers Simon
    >8-]

Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Polo Green '01 406 Coupe (5spd Man)
    Tuscany Green '00 206 GTi (Croaked!)

My Flickr Photos

206gti.net
    peugeot-206gti
    peugeot-307
    peugeot-407
    peugeotclub.asn.au

Tadpole

thanks people. That takes care of importing (will be 15 years old when i come over next year time).

Are there any 205 GTi owners out there that can tell me a thing or two about running my car in Australia. I notice cars have carpets on the dash and rear window sun deflectors - How to 205s stand up to the heat?

cheers all!

thanks people. That takes care of importing (will be 15 years old when i come over next year time).

Are there any 205 GTi owners out there that can tell me a thing or two about running my car in Australia. I notice cars have carpets on the dash and rear window sun deflectors - How to 205s stand up to the heat?

cheers all!

the main reason for haveing carpets on the dash and rear window sun deflectors is to stop them from cracking in the heat as it is much hoter in australia then in england. other then that you will need to keep your car clean so as the salt air doesn't cause unwanted rust and out of the sun when your not driveing so the paint doesn't fade

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by Rob S
    Are there any 205 GTi owners out there that can tell me a thing or two about running my car in Australia. I notice cars have carpets on the dash and rear window sun deflectors - How to 205s stand up to the heat?cheers all!
    There is a few of them .... I can ask the local Peugeot GTi group ... - www.206gti.net/wa , as for carpet ... it helps cut glare and protects the dash.

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Thread Information