Ideas for cold start problems 405mi16 series 1
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Stuey

Thread: Ideas for cold start problems 405mi16 series 1

Fellow Frogger!

Default Ideas for cold start problems 405mi16 series 1

I am having problems with the first start in the morning . Head was replaced by alpine affaire a few months ago and since then sometimes the first start in the morning can be a problem . The starter was replaced before the head as was the battery so there shouldnt be a problem there . It seems to be worse when it is cold in the morning . It sounds like a flat battery but that is fully charged . I replaced the battery leads just recently so it gets a good battery feed . The rest of the day it tuns over perfectly and only some of the time misbehaves . The cars runs very well otherwise .
    Any ideas appreciated , its got me stuffed but is really annoying

Advertisement

Does it run a bit hot?

1000+ Posts

Crank angle sensor?
    1998 Peugeot 406 D8SV Manual
    1999 Peugeot 406 D8ST Auto
    2002 Peugeot 406 D9SV Manual
    1994 Peuegot 306 N3 Cabriolet Manual
    1994 Peugeot 306 XR N3 Hatch
    1995 Peugeot 505 GTI executive
    1976 Peugeot 504 Sedan - Now sold

Over 60 Pugs in my time
    Gerry Mullock

I have a very vague recollection that there is a function that provides injection of additional fuel when the temperature is between a certain low temp range perhaps check the air inlet temp sensor - I think its a positive temp coefficient that is higher resistance with lower temp - don't know what the values are though
    Meggsy
    Current - 4007HDi
    Had - 407 HDI 406 SV 404, 504, 505 GR and STI. 405 GR ( carbie version) STI, MI16
    And an Austin 1800
    Learnt to drive in 203 Convertible and a 403 SW

Is it spinning over properly and not catching? Or not spinning over like a flat battery?

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

1000+ Posts

If it's spinning over fine, it could be the ECU coolant temperature sensor on the side of the metal part of the thermostat housing. I seem to remember if it goes, the ECU defaults to a notional temp of 80C, so cold starting suffers because the ECU thinks it's a warm engine.
    TrinityJayOne likes this.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

I had the same problem when I first got mine. I had to put a relay on to the starter solenoid wire (the thin wire). The wire was breaking down and causing to much resistance.

When the solenoid fires across to engage the starter, it then closes a connection (switch) that allows greater current to flow to the starter. The solenoid was not being thrown far enough to engage this switch as it was only receiving about 10 volts. Sounded like a dead battery and like you, I had replaced batteries & starters - still to have the same effect.
    ....now watch a Peugeot turn into a corner!

1000+ Posts

Yes, I've done the same on my 405 - using a horn type relay over behind the LH headlight, and decent gauge wires to the starter.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey View Post
    Yes, I've done the same on my 405 - using a horn type relay over behind the LH headlight, and decent gauge wires to the starter.
    It turns over slow like a flat battery but I know that is fine . There is a relay to the solenoid but I have wondered if it hasnt been connected properly after the head work was done . It is damn tight down there but from what is being said it could be symptomatic of the connection not being made to the solenoid . Is it any easier if I get the car up on ramps and come from underneath

Not sure on a 405 but no on a mi16 in a 205

Via the aussiefrogs App
    ....now watch a Peugeot turn into a corner!

1000+ Posts

Same as above; not really. When I rebuilt my starter I took the inlet manifold off.

By the way, I remembered I didn't upgrade the wire to the solenoid - I used the existing wires, but the relay avoids having the solenoid current travelling all the way from the ignition switch (and through the ignition switch contacts).

This is the problem, not the gauge of the wires. Apologies for the memory lapse. So there may not be new wires on the starter anyway. As the starter solenoid wires go to the wiring block near the headlight this is the favourite place for the relay.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Might sound obvious, but have you checked all the earths - including the battery earth to motor or chassis?

1000+ Posts

Good point.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey View Post
    Good point.
    I thought of earthing too . Replaced cables with 2 gauge to block and another to body . The fault is intermittent ( once or twice a week) but I think I will be loosing some skin soon tracing the wire down to the solenoid . I don't really want to remove the inlet manifold to push a quick connect back on

You can just get to it from underneath, but it stays filthy around the area. Original starter will probably have a quarter spade on the solenoid. Fish the wire out from the harness further "upstream", splice in a relay and run a separate new wire down to the starter.

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Addo , i hoped someone would say that . Already has a relay but think connection to solenoid is suspect . I will probably replace the wire from the relay to the solenoid as long a can get to it . Do I remove any guards or do I just feed my arm in towards the starter ?

Get the front on ramps or chassis stands, start fondling about. Treat yourself to a $40 USB borescope if you like.

Fellow Frogger!

sounds good to me , thanks . Advice like this is invaluable

You'll be right, I worked blind when refitting my alternator and the only cock-up was plugging its dash telltale into the back of an unused oil pressure sender - soon as it got oil pressure, the battery warning light came on!

1000+ Posts

Yeah, that's a weird policy of Peugeot's; using a pressure sender to block the hole, to save them thinking too hard about which block is used for which model...
    Last edited by Stuey; 20th August 2014 at 10:51 PM.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

1000+ Posts

Default Try

Quote Originally Posted by stuey View Post
    yeah, that's a weird policy of peugeot's; using a pressure sender to block the hole, to save them thinking too hard about which block is used for which model...
    connecting a spade conn
    ector to a piece of wire ,connect to the starter ,first start in the morning hold other end of wire on positive terminal on battery , [make sure its in heu
    tral ]if it starts ok at least you have eliminated the starter as a problem, pugs

1000+ Posts

It's still a weird policy.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Thread Information