505 automatic speedometer cable
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default 505 automatic speedometer cable

hi
    how do i remove the cable from the speedo end?
    is the green thing an integral part of it?
    505 automatic speedometer cable-7777.jpg

Advertisement

i have a spare cable which looks different in the speedo end:
    505 automatic speedometer cable-88888.jpg

Fellow Frogger!

hey 2pac

I've done this a couple of times for my STI

your cable has to be a match in terms of fitting at the speedo end, profile of the plug at the other end and has to be long enough to reach between to the two points

from memory replacing the cable is difficult because of the small opening in the back of the dash through which which the cable must pass

if you aren't going to salvage the old cable then just cut it and pull it out from both ends.

The hard part is putting in the new cable and from memory the easier thing is to feed it through from the dash side

but different cables have differently shaped ends which will make it easier/harder to feed through

cheers

JR

Fellow Frogger!

Thx robjer
    but how do i disconnect it from the dash?

Fellow Frogger!

I might be corrected here but I think you cut the cable down below (assuming you aren't keeping it) and then you can pull it forward of the dash and out

if you are keeping it - disconnect it from the gear box and that should give slack enough for you to work it forward of the dash and out of that slot

then it's a matter of wriggling it out the back of the speedo cavity - I remember reaching up from below the dash to push it through a hole in the fire wall

tricky job - especially when installing the new one! can't say I remember which end I put in first - but mine was a manual

Fellow Frogger!

and the green and white parts stay in place or come with the cable?

Fellow Frogger!

the whole thing comes out - the rubber outer and the plastic inner bit

it all is attached at the end of the cable

Fellow Frogger!

thx.
    are there cables in two parts?
    i saw in some french supllier there are cables for tranny side and dash side.

Fellow Frogger!

not that I know of 2pac

important too make sure your new cable isn't too short

Fellow Frogger!

i got this 504 cable, is it going to fit?
    505 automatic speedometer cable-445.jpg505 automatic speedometer cable-446.jpg

Not sure about the cable but don't think a 504 will fit, to gain access to the speedo cable at the top, simply remove the steering wheel and then the instrument cluster, the rest is fairly obvious.

Regards
    Neil

From memory 504s have a screw in termination on the speedo whereas 505s have a clip.if memory correct then theyre diiferent.

Fellow Frogger!

if you mean a screw on the dash end then this cable doesn't have a screw, it's a push fit type.
    it seems to me that the difference is just that when you remove the cluster the cable has to be pulled far enough until you can insert your hand and disconnect it, so you may have to disconnect it first from the tranny. i hope so, because i bought it 50 miles from home

No you don't have to unscrew it from behind the speedo, as you remove the speedo along with the other instruments, the speedo cable just unplugs, very difficult to do this job without removing the speedo first.
    Regards
    Neil

Fellow Frogger!

Is there a difference in cables for manual and automatic models?

Almost certainly yes, there definitely is in the STi series, but I'm sure there will be someone who can give a definite answer
    Regards
    Neil

The speedo drive in your first photo 7777.jpg, with the coloured wires showing, looks the same as the speedo drive in my 1988 505 Gti. As you've no doubt discovered, pulling the blue plastic terminated cable toward you and out of the way enables you to lever out the black rubber socket.

As you drive on the right hand side of the road, removing the cable may be different. In Australia, the engine is in the way a bit and the cable seems to almost go behind the brake booster. On the other hand, with left hand drive, it may be even more difficult than with right hand drive.

On the basis that they must have installed the cable in the first place with both ends attached, it must be possible to take it out with both ends attached. I don't think the blue plastic part is meant to be removeable. I also don't know how big the hole in the firewall is, but whichever end of the speedo cable has the smaller diameter end should fit through the firewall hole.

I've never done this but, as robjer says, it's not going to be a very easy job. At least it's something you don't have to do frequently.

At the speedo end, and from memory, 504s had at least 2 different cables. I think, one a screw in, and one a clip on type. The one in your photo 445.jpg looks like a late 504 clip on type.

Fellow Frogger!

it's not hard at all to remove the cable, i've done that already and fitted the 504 cable, the gearbox end passes through the grommet. but since it doesn't clip on i had to wrap the flange of the speedo with adhesif tape in order to hold the cable in place.
    anyway it makes noise and flickers so i want to go for the real part, but no one stocks it.
    Last edited by 2pac; 16th February 2015 at 01:36 AM.

It's not good that no one stocks it. Not even on Ebay?

Fellow Frogger!

there are some on ebay, but i'm not sure if they fit.
    there are also different cables for pre and post 7/83, go figure...

Thread Information