405 Mi16 Timing Belt tension question
  • Register
  • Help
    1000+ Posts

Default 405 Mi16 Timing Belt tension question

Howdy guys,

Advertisement

I've done this job before, and found the same issue. Belt whine, ostensibly due to over tensioning.

I meticulously tensioned this belt by alternately tightening each tensioner until the camshaft pulley pins are a perfect and easy slip-fit into their respective holes in the pulley and head. So all three pins fit spot on. My pins are made for the job so are a close fit.

But what I find is the belt whines while driving.

The twist test shows the belt to be tensioned correctly; a 45 degree twist on the front run without trying too hard. I'm aware most inexperienced people over tighten cam belts.

Now, if I loosen the rear (exhaust side) tensioner at all, the rear pin binds, and same for the front tensioner/front pin. So what I've found the times I've done the job is that tensioning the belt essentially pulls the cam pulleys apart, loading up the belt, until the pins become a slip fit. At this point the belt is the right tension, according to the twist test. At least, the two times I've done the job.

Last time, I left the whine and it was fine, but it's annoying.

So, the quandary; do I loosen the two tensioners equally, enough so that the belt doesn't whine and ignore the pins' slight binding, OR do I assume the whine is just a function of the belt construction and keep the sliding fit of the pins?

FWIW, it's a new belt kit from EAI which contained SKF tensioners and an AE/Federal Mogul belt. I used a Dayco belt last time, but I know local, well regarded mech Euromotive used to use these AE belts so I assume they're OK. I cleaned everything spotless with Shellite, and the water pump is not new but has only done 6,000km. Pump bearings are smooth, firm and silent. None of the oil seals are leaking.

Any comments would be most welcome...

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

1000+ Posts

Peter T advises to loosen the exhaust side slightly, so that's what I'll do. FYI. Thanks Peter.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Thread Information