205 / 306 Clutches - Push V's Pull
  • Register
  • Help

Default 205 / 306 Clutches - Push V's Pull

I'm trying a Gti6 box in my 205 and I have a choice of the two clutch types.

Advertisement

Pull clutch is 215mm dia from the 306
    Push clutch is from the 405, still 215mm dia

And I still have the original 205 200mm clutch which is almost brand new with balanced flywheel & pressure plate.

Never had a pull clutch before - are they anything special?

I'm presuming they are all going to fit with maybe a swap of the clutch fork to suit the two styles?
    ....now watch a Peugeot turn into a corner!

I'm sure they'll be more knowledgeable people commenting, but I always preferred the feel of the push type over the pull type.

Via the aussiefrogs App
    2011 Renault Koleos manual petrol, yes it's boring, but not as boring as:
    2017 Renault Koleos auto

The pull type cable is different, it has an extra piece on it to make the pull motion. If you change the cable and have all the correct 306 fixtures on the box it should work fine.

The gearboxes have a different primary shaft covers depending on whether they are push or pull. The push type has a machined steel cover, the pull type a pressed tin. The pressed tin type isn't designed to have the throwout bearing slide back and forth on it but it does work. Changing over the covers isn't simple either because it is used to set the endfloat on the primary shaft, therefore if you swapped it you would need a range of shims to set the correct end float.

If you are going to use a pull type flywheel (gti6), use the pull type clutch and vice versa.

Default 205 / 306 Clutches - Push V's Pull

You need the 1.9L Mi16 push clutch. The pull clutches lack feel and don't always auto adjust properly.

You will need to swap throw out arm and bearings.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Thank you all. Good information.

Via the aussiefrogs App

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
    You need the 1.9L Mi16 push clutch. The pull clutches lack feel and don't always auto adjust properly.

You will need to swap throw out arm and bearings.
    Still looking to get this done one of these days!
    2000 306 GTi6 'Josie'

Hi,

I have recently (in the past 3 months) replaced the clutch on both of our 405's. I replaced the cables on both cars at the same time.

Biggest issue we had doing the pull type was getting the fork to clip under the throw out bearing as we slid the box on.

All in all I can't really notice that much difference between them.
    1989 Peugeot 405 Mi16
    1990 Peugeot 505 GTD Turbo Wagon
    2000 Peugeot 306 XSI
    1973 Peugeot 504 GL

Yeah I read they are a bit tricky to install. I will post up a new thread when I change the box but this is the way I have gone. I have taken note of PeterT's reply but I am going to use the 205 Flywheel & PP based on the reduced weight as it's 400 grams lighter to start with (the friction area is smaller in diameter). The 205 clutch as Peter has mentioned before, is well capable of handling up to 200hp (approx) and this is well within my range.

Flywheel - 405 = 6.7kg
    205 = 6.3kg

I have also sent the 205 flywheel to be lightened a tad more - I'm expecting final weight to be between 5 - 5.3kg. In combination with the 6 speed, I recon this is gunna hoot!

I have a GTI6 gearbox in my 205... I must warn you the reduced Right hand turning circle is horrible. This is due to the gti6 be3 gearbox being longer than the 5 speed be3. I dont know how this will effect the car on a race track but on the road I have been stuck in traffic scenarios and it wasnt preety... Quite dangerous really?

Im swapping it back to the 5 speed ASAP!
    205 GTi T16

205 CTi

Thank mate, I have heard of that. What's it like through the gears though? I'm expecting it to be a ripper.

Via the aussiefrogs App

Yea it goes the the gears like a motorbike, there is a gear for every situation. Third and forth is all you need thou once your at speed thru the corners. I am not savvy with ratios and all but froma feel point of view it feels like the 5 speed but there is better choice in the 3-4-5 range. In the 5 speed 2 gear is too revvy, but third may bog you down when you exit the corner etc etc with this gearbox i enter and get out in third and it gets out fast.

ps my engine is turbo tho so i guess this will affect alot...
    205 GTi T16

205 CTi

Thread Information