406 Air vent
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: 406 Air vent

Default 406 Air vent

I replaced the "Valeo" air vent activating, electric switch, May 2013 and it has suffered the same fate 406 Air vent-dsc00874.jpgas most of them do, by stripping the 14 teeth/10mm plastic gears off. Does anyone know if there is a "metal" replacement part for this one and possibly for the other gears?
    Cheers.

Advertisement

Why not address the root cause? Heater flaps need dressing inside the box.

Is this why the air always comes out of the face-level vents regardless of how the switch is set? How hard is it to get at the control box?
    Stephen
    '03 P406 HDI
    '16 Renault Master

You have to split the housing on most PSA of that ear, leave the condenser portion hanging off the firewall and extract the piece with heater core and directional flaps. Dismantle carefully and check operation of each flap - ideally they will have a side clearance of half a mil when you're done. Cut/scrape/sand the flap edges where necessary, and reassemble with fresh long life grease.

Hi Addo
    I did just that before I replaced the switch last time but this gears is just not up to the job, it is not strong enough to constantly open and close the vent flap.
    I am thinking that I might be able to liquid weld a metal cog (10mm wide at the teeth and 9 mm long. 14 teeth in all) all I have to do is find one of the same configuration and drill 2 holes through the larger side of plastic cog (25mm 47 teeth) into the metal cog and insert pins with the weld.

Hi sfrawley
    That is why the air still comes in when the switch shows that the vent is closed, it is because all of the 14 tooth cog have broken off.
    If you turn on your ignition (don't start the car) turn off the radio etc then activate the switch you should hear a clicking sound as the cog turns on the broken sprocket.
    I got my replacement one from a place in Queensland for $147.00 and it lasted about 13 months!!
    cheers

WLB

Rob C (OddfireV6) found a replacement gear several years ago.

Anyone who has a faint whirring noise coming from the dashboard has this problem. (Sounds like it's coming from the left hand end).

405 Heater flap motor

Thread Information