The Bus
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: The Bus

Tadpole

Default The Bus

Well, having successfully escaped the "clutches" of the French a number of years back, they trap me again with an "auto"... (bad pun, but that's me)

Half way through putting another Subaru on the road for myself, a better offer came up, as they do. A reasonably local guy was selling his family's 505 Familiale as they'd been given a smaller wagon (Camry) by friends and the grownup kids didn't want "dad's old car". I gave him more than he was willing to accept because he was so helpful and friendly (put fuel in it for me, offered to post the workshop manual when he found it).

The only things it needed for safety certificate were tyres, small rust hole in C pillar, tie rod end and leaky gasket on tappet cover fixed. I did a few more things than required at the time, like making new rear outer door handles from stainless and completely rebuilding the power steering rack.

Advertisement

Since being back on the road a few more things have been added/improved...
    - reversing camera built in overhead
    - reversing sensors with graphic readout in dash
    - shortened door pockets and fitted 6"x9" Fly speakers in front doors with 4" in the rear (all 3 way).
    - shifted things around behind the glove box to mount a 400w Pioneer amplifier to drive the front speakers
    - Installed new horns
    - fitted remote control unit to operate headlights, horn, and start the car, as well as the central locking
    - fitted 14x7 wheels and massaged wheel arches to accommodate them
    - installed 100 amp alternator

Other things to come include LED headlight clusters putting out over 12,000 Lumens, heavy nudge bar and stipes on bonnet and D pillars extending forward in French colours...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Bus-1407797979961.jpg  

The thing is a beast!

Tadpole

Here's the modified door trim for the big FLI speakers...
    The Bus-1407914924138.jpg
    The Bus-1407914910342.jpg

Tadpole

More pics...
    The Bus-1407655768546.jpg
    The Bus-1407655733231.jpg

And when I first brought it home.
    The Bus-20140109_155238.jpg
    The Bus-20140109_155259.jpg

I'm looking at the Sunraysia wheels and trying to figure out what bolt pattern they are. Seem to be holes all over the shop?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Bus-wheelbolt-pattern.jpg  
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Tadpole

Yeah, the wheels are originally from a Nissan ute and therefore had the standard 6 stud pattern for most 4WDs. Since the PCD is the same as the earlier Subaru 4 stud diameter, and since Subaru and Peugeot share the same stud pattern, then two of the holes will be right. You then drill and countersink two new holes (only on rims suited to it). On my Subaru though, I converted the hubs to 6 stud as that car is heavier, more powerful and more robust than original. With the track width, this offset just happened to increase the Peugeot's track width by the allowable 1".

Quote Originally Posted by CelticWarrior71 View Post
    - fitted remote control unit to operate headlights, horn, and start the car, as well as the central locking.
    A remote starter is a gizmo I'd like .

Jo

Thread Information