406 Diesel
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By WLB

Thread: 406 Diesel

Default 406 Diesel

Dose anybody know other than the peugeot 406 diesel what other car/brand had the 2.1 TD engine?

Advertisement

Garry

Citroen xm used it. And some Citroen xantia over seas.

Via the aussiefrogs App
    2011 Renault Koleos manual petrol, yes it's boring, but not as boring as:
    2017 Renault Koleos auto

1000+ Posts

Are you having trouble with a 2.1 td?

WLB

I seem to recall being told by a Lada Niva owner that it powered the diesel version in Europe. I think it's also used in various machinery such as Bobcats and forklifts.

Your right about the bobcat but it was the 405 1.9 that JCB used in there skid-steer and they used a non turbo 1.9. I know this because i sold my local sparkie a 405 diesel turbo for his JCB and after a bit of retro work it is up and running great.

The problem I'm having with mine is that the car is hard to start and now it is also staling each time i put my foot on the clutch. i have found out that the hose that goes from the block to the rocker cover has a crack in it, so I'm thinking that could be why it is stalling and hard to start. If anybody else has any idea what it could be i would love to know any thoughts. Also just for more info i have done the conversion from that crappy Lucas pump to a 405 bosh pump.

WLB

Ah yes, you're right of course. It's all starting to come back to me.

My '98 406 (now my son's car) is still running on the 2nd-hand low-km Lucas Epic pump I got from England 7 years ago when the Lucas blight struck it down, before the Bosch conversion emerged as an option. It's done another 200,000km since then and, fingers crossed, it won't give trouble. The pump from England had only ever seen ultra-low sulphur diesel, so it's clearly the change from our earlier fuel that is the main culprit. The 405 Bosch pump I bought soon after, is still sitting on the shelf along with Julian's conversion instructions.

The main problems with the car now include a clutch approaching its end of life, oil consumption of about 1 litre per tank of diesel, central locking and door locks that refuse to work, clonks (again) from the rear end, and door trim fabric that in many places is no longer attached to the underlying substrate.

I can't wait to get my 505 SRDT back on the road, and get the brakes and thermo-fan fixed on my late father's 504 TI so I can take it for a spin.

Follow this link, and the one it contains.
    406-STDT diesel pump project in Adelaide
    Last edited by WLB; 25th August 2014 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Add link
    markb2501 likes this.

Thread Information