Intermittent Indicators - 205 gti
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By addo
  • 1 Post By Hicho

Thread: Intermittent Indicators - 205 gti

Default Intermittent Indicators - 205 gti

Hey everyone. For a long time now my indicators have been playing up. I took it to an auto-electrician (Gradys Auto electrical in Brookvale, Sydney) Do not go there, he is useless and charged me for something I had already done.

Anyway, basically most of the time the indicators flash ridiculously quickly, sometimes they flash at regular speed, and sometimes they will flash at a combination of speeds before stopping entirely! Then it is a case of reaching for the fuse box and fiddling with the relay to find the "sweet spot".

I think the cable inside is loose from the contact point. So I'm wondering if it is a case of soldering it back on, or if the relay needs replacing, or if it might be something else.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? I do not believe the stalk is faulty but I guess that is also an option.

Cheers!

Max

Advertisement
    1990 205 GTI

Check your earths, too.

One thing you can almost certainly rule out is the flasher can, when they die the usual symptom is one flick, and then nothing.
    Hotrodelectric likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

I had some intermittent indicators recently. Turns out, like a lot of others, that the hazard switch was the culprit. I fully disassembled my switch and cleaned the contacts and put some dielectric grease on the contact points and it fixed the problem.

Be careful if you pull yours apart as a new one is a few hundred bucks!
    BIGRR likes this.

Ive also had this problem. Was also the hazard switch! If its not that, the earth points, even the actual stalk can play up!
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    91 205 Si
    87 205 GTi Race Car
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

My indicators have been intermittent since I have had the car. I flick the switch and the go on, off, on, off, on, off.... Still can't find a fix for it!

....now watch a Peugeot turn into a corner!

Cheers for the replies. I'll try all things suggested. I have heard of the hazard switch being the cause a lot of the time.

This is what is currently going on in my fuse board. Pretty ridiculous! Could someone with a proper system please upload a photo of theirs so I can get an idea of how its supposed to be?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Intermittent Indicators - 205 gti-1407219069836.jpg  
    1990 205 GTI

Fellow Frogger!

If it turns out to be your relay (unlikely) I have a new spare if you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteKnightGTI View Post
    Cheers for the replies. I'll try all things suggested. I have heard of the hazard switch being the cause a lot of the time.

This is what is currently going on in my fuse board. Pretty ridiculous! Could someone with a proper system please upload a photo of theirs so I can get an idea of how its supposed to be?
    Is that red wire with the inline fuse attached to the relay? If yes, that's not how it should be.
    But in this case, maybe there is a more serious problem. Like an internal track in the fuseboard burned out/corroded, dead at any rate. Maybe that is why the previous owner (or one of them) put that wire there. I have found one in one of my fuseboards, and it's not repairable. You will need a new fuseboard if that's it.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post
    Is that red wire with the inline fuse attached to the relay? If yes, that's not how it should be.
    But in this case, maybe there is a more serious problem. Like an internal track in the fuseboard burned out/corroded, dead at any rate. Maybe that is why the previous owner (or one of them) put that wire there. I have found one in one of my fuseboards, and it's not repairable. You will need a new fuseboard if that's it.
    Yeah it is. They won't work unless there is contact there.
    Crap, I think I know what you mean. Someone has used the red wire to connect it to a live point in the board which actually works?
    So a new fuse board may be the fix and I could ditch the red wire?
    1990 205 GTI

For your reference...Narrabeen auto electrics. Mark is a guru.

Jo

If one of the tracks is kaputt, yep. That's the only way you'll get rid of the red wire.

Just make sure that is the actual problem. The Haynes manual has a diagram of the fuse board you can use to track the problem.

Well, if you're lucky, you might find another point on the board where you can pick a contact to the same track and put another wire through one of the existing connectors if there is one plugged into it, who knows? You need patience with these things and take your time. Take the board out, don't try to check it place, it'll drive you crazy in no time flat.

Mine was a bastard to figure out, but I did it in the end, replaced it, and voila! No more problem.
    Last edited by schlitzaugen; 7th August 2014 at 01:02 AM.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    For your reference...Narrabeen auto electrics. Mark is a guru.

Jo
    Thanks Jo - I'll keep it in mind!
    1990 205 GTI

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post
    If one of the tracks is kaputt, yep. That's the only way you'll get rid of the red wire.

Just make sure that is the actual problem. The Haynes manual has a diagram of the fuse board you can use to track the problem.

Well, if you're lucky, you might find another point on the board where you can pick a contact to the same track and put another wire through one of the existing connectors if there is one plugged into it, who knows? You need patience with these things and take your time. Take the board out, don't try to check it place, it'll drive you crazy in no time flat.

Mine was a bastard to figure out, but I did it in the end, replaced it, and voila! No more problem.
    Okay cheers for all this. I'll tackle it tomorrow and start with the hazard switch, then pull out the Haynes manual and see if I can get my head around any of it.
    1990 205 GTI

Thread Information