• Register
  • Help
Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By lachlanjacob
  • 1 Post By PugMonkey

Thread: New 205 GTI owner

Tadpole

Default New 205 GTI owner

Hi everyone I Lach full time Industrial Design student.

Iím new to the forum and was wanting some opinions on my new car.

Ive just bought a 205gti 89

Advertisement

What common problems should I be looking out for ?

And do many people out there have much experience of using a 205gti as a daily driver, Iím considering selling my currently daily since I seem to be falling further in love with the little thing

cheers everyone !

Congratulations on your purchase! I'm rather unqualified to answer your questions about the daily driving as mine is a dedicated track car, but plenty of forum members use their little Pugs as often as possible and I'm sure you'll get plenty of answers/advice.

The one thing I do know is every car you buy from now on you will compare to the 205, they are very addictive.

Yiew good stuff man. I use mine as a daily (at least 4-5 times a week) and I still froth on it everyday!
    How many k's has she done?
    From personal experience and my opinion, I'd hold onto that other car until you know the 205 is solid enough. But you never know, she might be good to go!
    The only thing I can think of is to check all of your hoses and connections because they might be brittle and need replacing.
    Upload some pictures, and enjoy
    1990 205 GTI

Fellow Frogger!

Congrats on joining the 205 club. Having owned my fair share of cars, both weekenders and dailys, the wow factor does wear off when it's driven daily. The extra noise, rattles, all the fun stuff for a nice drive on a Sunday morning, may be too much to handle day to day.

As long as it is our and about, I cannot stand garage queens, that never see the light of day.
    Michael

1987 Peugeot 205 GTI
    Build Thread:
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...ti6-build.html

How far away are you from finishing your degree? If you're not far from finish, you've had it. If you just started, try to find out if you can change degrees to say, dentistry or prime ministership. That way you'll have enough money to afford the repairs.

Failing that, I hope your daily is a Veyron. Sell it now and start buying everything you find for the pug.

Either way, dump your girlfriend, move in with your parents and start saving.

Otherwise it's all peachy keen, you can download the internet and start reading.

Just try to not go crazy with the modifications/repairs and you might just manage it.
    How was the car used? Serviced? History? Timing belt done when? And so on.

If it's a working car and the timing belt doesn't need doing, just drive it and it'll tell you what it needs.

Oh, and have a good insurance policy and RAC cover.

Welcome, by the way.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Tadpole

Thanks everyone for the replies !

The car has just past Rwc and all the major things have previously been done. 220k on the clock and I haven't found any faults with it as yet

as for myself I only have a year of my 4 year degree to go so I'll have a full time job to sustain the pug soon haha.

I'll upload some pics soon thanks again everyone

Tadpole

New 205 GTI owner-10564852_10152241863455418_55417659_n.jpg my new Gti
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New 205 GTI owner-10585577_10152241863450418_1246268545_n.jpg  
    BIGRR, pug-life and lion5 like this.

Very nice.

"Major work previously done" don't cut it. You need to know exactly when the timing belt was done and/or how many k's it has done since then. This is very important and I recommend you find and keep a record of it, else you risk snapping the belt and that's the end of your engine.
    If you can't find clear and reliable info about this, you should consider changing the belt right now.

Once you've done that, drive it. That's how you find out what's wrong with it.
    Last edited by schlitzaugen; 30th July 2014 at 01:56 AM.

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

That looks like the car that was on eBay recently, I was tempted myself! Enjoy.

the Gti is a special car and absolutely special as a daily driver.
    I spent most of my youth on motorbikes so my idea
    of a car is something that's quick, noisy and small.
    I did 80,000 km in mine in 4 years and it cost about $1,000 a year in
    repairs and maintenance, plus rego and petrol.
    very best wishes with yours, the more you drive it the better.
    regards, Lo.

Good choice mate - as we all know, the red ones go faster!

Welcome...
    BIGRR likes this.
    ....now watch a Peugeot turn into a corner!

Tadpole

Thanks again for the replies everyone !

in terms of major work that has been done,

in the last 30,000ks its had new gaskits, new belts through out, water pump, front discs and pads, rear drums, new tires, re build head, new plugs, hoses and clutch.

including servicing and regular fluid changes.

all with the documents.

and yep hopefully once i drive it some more all the kinks (which aren’t currently apparent) will show them selves or never submerge haha.

cheers guys continued info is always helpful

Well, you're one lucky bastard.

Drive the damn thing.

To maximise enjoyment, drive it like you stole it. Then get a 2S licence and bring it out on the track with us. Looks like a nice example too - well done!
    racing 405
    1:59:09 last time at Phillip Island - less than standard Mi16.

Tadpole

Thanks again for the welcome !

I fully intend to enjoy this little rocket and bring it back to full original condition (isn't much to do really)

im in sure I'll be asking many questions in the near future

Thread Information