205 steering rack interchangability
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default 205 steering rack interchangability

Hi everyone

I am wondering if a 1992 205 Si power assisted rack would bolt into my 1989 205 GTi? I won't be using/connecting the power assist parts but would the rack fit in without issues?

Cheers

Advertisement

Yes it fits. You will need the lower part of the steering column to join it all together. A great upgrade, do the full power assist conversion if you can!!
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    91 205 Si
    87 205 GTi Race Car
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

Yes the rack will fit straight in without a problem. You will probably need to unbolt the subframe to slide it in but it will all bolt up exactly the same.

Just for full disclosure, keep in mind that non-PS cars had a lower ratio (more turns lock-to-lock) than PS cars. If your car was non-PS, you'll get some serious arm muscles or back pain changing to a PS rack but without the power assistance. Other than that, looking at my early GTI and '92 Si wreck I would say it's all plain sailing.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Tadpole

Thanks guys. I will be pulling the rack off a parts car so might attempt to do the whole PS-assist conversion while I'm at it.

You'll need to move the alternator up too with the bracket off the donor car.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

That's a good point. I have this bracket as well if for some reason your donor car doesn't.

Via the aussiefrogs App

Dont need that much muscle Schultz! 2.75 turns lock to lock with an 8v alloy motor! Easy!

I have a plate diff, 2.6 turns and a boat anchor j4r motor! Im just an idiot though...

In all seriousness, do the extra and plumb the power assist in. Its worth the hassle and better for future upgrade.

Cam
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    91 205 Si
    87 205 GTi Race Car

Fellow Frogger!

If you run the power rack without power you will have built in delay,the torsion will have to twist to its full amount so that it can drive on the fail safe splines.

Quote Originally Posted by cam85 View Post
    Yes it fits. You will need the lower part of the steering column to join it all together. A great upgrade, do the full power assist conversion if you can!!

Wow wow, whats this about the lower part of the steering column??? When i wrecked the SI (it was smashed biiiiggg time) i didnt keep anything from the steering column!
    205 GTi T16

205 CTi

The Power racks have a different connection on the steering rack itself. The early cars without power have a small spline and the Power racks have a larger spline.

You therefore need the later lower part of the steering column to make it possible!

Cam
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    91 205 Si
    87 205 GTi Race Car

That said just try it. I did a power to manual steering conversion and the splines were the same.

Via the aussiefrogs App

VIP Sponsor

The power steering fitting fits above the rack in line with the column so the column must be shorter.
    Amazing how many people forget to keep this part of the column.

Quote Originally Posted by deltone View Post
    Wow wow, whats this about the lower part of the steering column??? When i wrecked the SI (it was smashed biiiiggg time) i didnt keep anything from the steering column!

Tadpole

Thanks for the tips. I've got a complete SI so I will just swap everything from it over.

Interesting stuff. Im always learning everyday!!

well, if anyone has the power steering column please let me know.
    205 GTi T16

205 CTi

Tadpole

Does the conversion require any wiring mods?

Nope.
    2006 Peugeot 206 Xt
    1991 Toyota mx83 grande 1jzgte

Tadpole

Hi all, I'd like to ask a follow up question, apologies if this should have been obvious to me.

From the above posts it is clear the part will physically fit, but is the gear ratio within the rack the same for all power steering models, ie can I use part or all of a 205si rack to rebuild my 92 205gti, without being concerned that I'm going to loose the sharp turn-in I would expect?

Thanks.

VIP Sponsor

The Si rack is slightly quicker than the GTi one, 2.75 turns C/W 2.9 for the GTi.
    People say the Gti is 3.2 but I've tried two recently and they are less than 3.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesh997 View Post
    Hi all, I'd like to ask a follow up question, apologies if this should have been obvious to me.

From the above posts it is clear the part will physically fit, but is the gear ratio within the rack the same for all power steering models, ie can I use part or all of a 205si rack to rebuild my 92 205gti, without being concerned that I'm going to loose the sharp turn-in I would expect?

Thanks.

Thread Information