Peugeot 207 1.6 VTI EP6 Engine Cooling Issues
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Icon7 Peugeot 207 1.6 VTI EP6 Engine Cooling Issues

I have an 07' Peugeot 207 1.6VTI EP6 (5FW) petrol engine (auto) and am experiencing what may be slight over heating issues.
    Upon replacing the water pump and friction wheel, I had replaced and flushed the coolant with only loosening off the screw cap bleed valve at the bulkhead. Once coolant flowed through the bleed valve in a decent stream I tightened it back and continued to fill the cooling system. Is there another bleed screw I missed somewhere?

Filling to the 'MIN' mark on the header tank, I started the car, turned the heater on and let it idle with the cap off the header tank until the thermo's kicked in just once. Haynes manual states that thermo's should kick in twice, but waiting for 25mins, I was happy that all air had purged out.

Advertisement

Now, driving the car on a daily basis, the temperature steadily reaches 90-95 deg Celsius and sometimes climbs to under 100deg C, but never over. Prior to replacing the water pump/friction wheel, the temp never got to 90deg and stayed around 85deg.

An OEM replacement thermostat states an opening temp anywhere from 91deg (1336.z8) or 105deg (1336.z6)

Im confused as to the normal operating temperature of this model 207. Is 95 deg too high?...or have I not bled the system correctly and missed out another bleed screw somewhere else? Someone had mentioned that there is a bolt type screw with an allen key hole on the thermostat plate that bolts to the side of the engine.

Without losing any coolant, I can also faintly smell warm coolant whilst driving under operating temp...perhaps a leak somewhere??

Sorry for the long post, as I'd rather describe the situation as correctly and closely as possible.

Cheers in advance for any advice guys. Would be appreciated!!

yeah the thermostat housing, look down beside the head and you will see a black plastic outlet from the head. grab a long and thick flat blade screw driver to undo the screw about 3 turns. thats what I used. shouldnt have to take off anything i.e. wiring harness brackets etc. the allen key is found on engines from 206, 307 etc

dont overtighten this screw!
    The wrong oil is better than no oil at all.

Tadpole

Great!! That's exactly the answer ive been searching for a long time!

Much appreciated

Cheers

Tadpole

Is this the plastic screw on the thermostat housing you were referring to? Just want to be sure that it is the correct one.

CheersPeugeot 207 1.6 VTI EP6 Engine Cooling Issues-peugeot-207-bleed-screw.jpg

Yep, got him right there.

Tadpole

Thanks for confirming

Tadpole

Got the job of properly bleeding the cooling system..success!

However, the temp sits on just above 90deg...should it be cooler or is this normal??

Temp sits there steadily and doesn't move up or down.

Cheers!!

If I'm not mistaken, the gauge will read 90 while a diag computer will show correct temp in parameters. It's 102 or 108 something it can actually get to, once it goes 1 degree over the gauge will rocket up. So the gauges aren't a true representation

Thread Information