Bit of work on the 505 GTi
  • Register
  • Help

Default Bit of work on the 505 GTi

The head gasket has been blown for a while now, had it on the do list and finally got around to this week. The car has been on the road, mainly city driving but it has done three or four country trips in the last year. When I got the head off and saw the state of things, couldn't believe that the car was still going.

.Bit of work on the 505 GTi-505-block.jpgBit of work on the 505 GTi-505-head-valves.jpg

Head cleaned up OK thanks to Head2Head in Clayton South.

Advertisement

Bit of work on the 505 GTi-505-clean-head-3.jpgBit of work on the 505 GTi-505-inlet-side.jpg

Got the head torqued up, new timing belt on and tappets set

.Bit of work on the 505 GTi-505-new-t-belt.jpg

I can't finish the job due to a technical concern regarding the timing belt. I have asked a question in the technical section, would appreciate anyone who has been down this road a few times giving me their thoughts. I'm a nuts and bolt type DIY, I know little about timing etc, just enough to know how important it is.

From my experience it is best to put white marks on the old belt and pulleys before it is taken off ,then put the same marks on the new belt the same number of cogs apart so it can be put on with the timing being the same as original.

Quote Originally Posted by julian b View Post
    From my experience it is best to put white marks on the old belt and pulleys before it is taken off ,then put the same marks on the new belt the same number of cogs apart so it can be put on with the timing being the same as original.
    Did that Julian, belt lined up fine, all rotating happily, tappets set and nothing colliding, but just not sure why the marks never seem to line up again.

VIP Sponsor

They will eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by tomb View Post
    Did that Julian, belt lined up fine, all rotating happily, tappets set and nothing colliding, but just not sure why the marks never seem to line up again.

Thread Information