407wipers
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: 407wipers

Default 407wipers

My 407 wipers often tangle up and break when I open the door. Replacing driver side motor with a second hand one did not help. Is this a very common problem?

Advertisement

Say what? Send pictures as this sounds very odd
    Citroen C5 II manual '05; C4 Exculsive '07; Citroen CX2200 Pallas '76; CX2400 C-matic Pallas '78

Which door are you opening?
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Mostly drivers door but today even r h rear. Also just using the remote will make the wipers do a couple of random wipes, and not in unison.

Say what?

Dave
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

I think I have worked out what he is trying to say, but I could be wrong.
    When he activates the remote to unlock the car, the wipers start to wipe but are not synchronised to each other and so they mesh and clash and subsequently smash.
    Have I got it right? Or should I too go" Say what?"

Have you tried unlocking the door with the key, not the remote, to see what happens?

Yes you have got it. I will try the key in the lock, but the problem only occurs about once a week.

The wipers are powered by a single motor, connected by rods. They should never come into contact with each other unless someone has changed their positions on the splines?

Why are the wipers coming on when you unlock the car??

Dave
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

Fellow Frogger!

Are you sure they are single motor / connected by rods?

Some cars now have a stepper motor for each wiper, the (independent) movement of each wiper is co-ordinated by the car's computer. It allows for clever and efficient wiping patterns that could not possibly be achieved with purely mechanical linkages. Current shape Ford Focus is one example. Maybe the 407 does the same?

as an aside - my partner had a new Focus for a year as a work car. The wipers had the new system and you could move the wipers up and down the screen by hand - they weren't rigidly locked to linkages like most cars. When parked they sat stacked on top of each other with the drivers side blade on top, like the 407. If, when washing the car, you put them the wrong way up (passenger side on top) then when you re-started the car, both wipers would move to vertical, then it would re-stack them the right way up. It was like it was telling you off for putting them wrong way round.

I have almost no knowledge of the 407 so seek a second opinion, but it seems a common thing on this generation of Pugs and Cits that when the battery starts getting old and dodgy, weird things happen due to unstable voltages appearing to be (false) signals to the computer.

I wonder if a new battery might make the weirdness disappear?

Fellow Frogger!

and another thing....

Do the wipers work normally when the engine is running? (If so then it isn't wiper motor problems.)

Do you know about the "blade change" position? - After you turn off the ignition, you have about 30 seconds to press the wiper switch down to the single wipe position. This will move the blades half way up the screen to facilitate changing the blades. (well that's what happens on 307s, any way.) If you accidentally bump the wiper switch when getting out of the car, the damn wipers jump up to that position. I've had my 307 since new in 2007 and I still do it occasionally...

maybe some fault (again, dodgy battery??? other bad connection?) is triggering the "change blades" position when you open the doors? Though it sounds like your car is getting the change blades thing wrong, they shouldn't clash.

do 407s have the com2000 faults that plagued early 307s? Is this a symptom?

Fellow Frogger! young 4 old pug's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 68 404 View Post
    The wipers are powered by a single motor, connected by rods. They should never come into contact with each other unless someone has changed their positions on the splines?

Why are the wipers coming on when you unlock the car??

Dave
    No no no no

On a 407 they are TWO separate motors operated over a LIN network. Replacing one motor will do absolutely nothing. They MUST be replaced as A PAIR.

They are Coming on when the door is opened due to a fault in the wiper motor whereby the can bus wake up signal is triggering a sole wiper movement.

Via the aussiefrogs App
    Current stash
    too many.

Passed over stash
    lots.

I didn't realise the pairing was so critical. Never played with them but would've assumed they were like (say) HVAC flap servomotors where they self-calibrated from a rest stop position.

Fellow Frogger! young 4 old pug's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    I didn't realise the pairing was so critical. Never played with them but would've assumed they were like (say) HVAC flap servomotors where they self-calibrated from a rest stop position.
    Me too when I first had this issue years ago.

The wipers will still work even if you replace both, but if each wiper motor is from a different car - the fault will remain.

I get them in at work occasionally where another workshop has replaced one wiper motor, then the other (but from different donor cars) and then run out of ideas as the problem still remains.

Via the aussiefrogs App
    Current stash
    too many.

Passed over stash
    lots.

I have the same problem in my 407. So the fix is replacing both motors at the same time with new motors or will motors from the same donor car work? Why do both need to be replaced? Is it an easy diy job?

Via the aussiefrogs App

Thanks for all that chat. I will now replace the other motor to make a matched pair. And yes Rob it is an easy diy job. Hardest part is getting the blades off the splines. A lot of WD 40 and lots of wriggling the blade.

all fixed

Thread Information