RCZ Coolant use
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: RCZ Coolant use

Tadpole

Default RCZ Coolant use

Hi Guys, i have a 2011 RCZ Auto and recently have been getting Topup coolant message.
    Coolant level has been low but no obvious leaks and not running hot.
    Anybody having similar issues or any idea would be appreciated.

Advertisement

If the coolant is disappearing, check your sump oil. Some of the more recent PSA motors have self-corroding oil/water heat exchangers on the front of the block. Next check inside the cabin, in case the heater is leaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy61 View Post
    Hi Guys, i have a 2011 RCZ Auto and recently have been getting Topup coolant message.
    Coolant level has been low but no obvious leaks and not running hot.
    Anybody having similar issues or any idea would be appreciated.
    Can you smell coolant anywhere at all when it is hot?

Agree re sump check...
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

The coolant has to be going 'somewhere'. But don't panic, well not yet.
    Add the correct coolant to the system up to the correct level and do it STONE COLD. This is the best and the easiest/most consistent way to ever add coolant. Modern cars run very high pressure systems and even running the engine for a short time brings the temp up quickly. My best example is 4 litre Ford motors; 1996 EF had 16 litres of coolant with a 15 psi/100kpa radiator cap...the BF has 9.5 litres but at 210kpa(?) and with a greater power output ie more heat to reject.
    As your RCZ is not running hot or dripping coolant then just maintain it until something obvious goes wrong. The less scrupulous repairer will have your engine in bits before you can ask for a second opinion. I'm more than happy to run a car with a minimal amount of coolant 'usage' than spend thousands of dollars trying to fix a problem that actually doesn't exist as it is within the normal operating range.
    Best change the coolant when it is due, maybe replace the thermostat and pressure test the system to see if it is actually leak tight. When the timing belt is due to be replaced do the full monty and replace the water pump, tensioners etc as to current best practice. Just ask and the AF brains trust will spring to action, it may not be what the factory or the repairer suggests but the best end result.
    Brendan.

Tadpole

I topped it up yesterday and i did smell coolant in the cabin but only for short time.The car is still under warranty top so il do as suggested and just top up as needed as its not running hot.Thanks for your help

Puff a fair quantity of talcum powder in and around the heater core and the adjacent area. The powder will suck up any stray fluid and as it's white the colour additive shows up.
    Smelling coolant until it's warmed up seems to me to be a failure on a pressurised hose joint, the higher temp the greater the clamping force available. Heat causes things to swell and coolant is a tricky animal as it's mostly water and weird chemicals that basically fight against everything else.
    Not so long ago it was 'Green' and had a fair whack of alcohol derived additives and chemicals...pretty much like this Aussie/Irish bloke back many years ago. There is a statute of limitations so legally I'm safe...medically I'm sitting next to Keef.

Still do the talcum powder test but she shouldn't smell coolant inside a car in normal circumstances. My bet is as suggested a leak from heater core / hoses and if the car is under warranty they can fix it for nothing : )

Fellow Frogger!

THP engines as in your RCZ have been know to have water pump faults which causes lose of coolant. Best to check the car under cold start - check underneath and see if there are any puddles.

QUOTE=Andrew Ch;1271429]Still do the talcum powder test but she shouldn't smell coolant inside a car in normal circumstances. My bet is as suggested a leak from heater core / hoses and if the car is under warranty they can fix it for nothing : )[/QUOTE]

Fellow Frogger! young 4 old pug's Avatar

Drop your auto oil...

If it comes out looking like a strawberry milkshake color start saving. ...

If it does then It will need an auto cooler and depending on how long it has been leaking for it may need an auto rebuild ( water and valve bodies/torque converters do not get along well)

Another reason to ignore the sealed for life garbage on PSA gearboxes.

Via the aussiefrogs App
    Current stash
    too many.

Passed over stash
    lots.

Thread Information