amp wiring in a 205
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

amp wiring in a 205

Has anyone wired up an amp in a 205? where did you poke the power cable through?

Advertisement

thanks

Phasis and myself could answer that, but answer this first, were are you putting the amp? whats the total RMS power and what size cable are you using?
    Have you upgraded the Earth strap between the Body and negative of the Battery and the again to the egine block. They are too small on a old 205. this earth should be as big if not bigger than the big wire for the 12+ to the amp.
    Wat earth for the amp are you using? and lastly how will you secure the amp. Dont fasten it to the car. Mount some wood first, like on the back seat or on the sub box(if you have one) then screw the amp to the wood.
    make the earth short and dirrect to a nice big bolt or carefully drill a hole(dont forget the fuel tank is under the back seats) and sandpaper the paint so there is good metal to metal on all joints and connections.
    when you lift the carpet look for were the cars power wires run, follow these with the power wire only. Run the signal RCA leads away from these porbably on the other side of the car, between the head unit to the amp.
    When you get to the fire wall you will probaly need to drill a hole, carefully look from inside and engine bay so as not to pierce ANY wires, brake lines, fuel ETC!!!!!, drill a hole and use a Rubber grommet (from dick smith, Jaycar) on the hole then with a bit of oil slowly insert the cable through. it must be a snug but not too tight fit. get a budy to help.
    Lastly cable tie the power wire so it dosn;t flop around and put a main power fuse very close to the 12+ post of the batery to save your car from burning down. Clamp it all nice and tight, also consider a bette batery, ie like an Oddisie.
    cheers Xq

ps, anything u not sure reply here.
    ... ptui!

Fellow Frogger!
    Qhasis and myself could answer that, but answer this first, were are you putting the amp?

ANS: I haven't had a careful look yet..hopefully underthe drivers seat but unsure if i can fix it properly there...if not then most likely fixed to the back of the rear seat.

Q:whats the total RMS power and what size cable are you using?

A:amp is just a 2 channel, sony 222w one..unsure the exact power..but i'm just going to use a skinny power cable, i was assured thats enough for a small amp.

Q:Have you upgraded the Earth strap between the Body and negative of the Battery and the again to the egine block. They are too small on a old 205. this earth should be as big if not bigger than the big wire for the 12+ to the amp.

Ans: I just got the car less than 2 weeks ago, haven't checke out the earth,i'd assume its the original one.

A:Wat earth for the amp are you using?
    Of course depends on where i put the amp..normally i use the one ofhe nuts that holds down the rear seat, safety issue??

and i was hoping not to hav eto drill...but i've done it b4..and used a grommet etc so iguess i will be fine.

thanks for all that!! =)

Youre right mate, good luck, thelast 205 i did was a s1 (bout 98) and i did find original grommets but were to close to hot areas.
    good luck. Xq

ps,id buy nice big cable as when anf if you apugrade the same cable will feed a bigger/more amps.
    ... ptui!

Fellow Frogger!
    nah i doubt very much iwill upgrade to more powerful amps...just want onefor the sub, run the rest off the deck..thats how i ran it in my old car and it was fine enough =)

got to go shopping for some 4.5 speakers now....bought 2 sets of sony 5" splits for myold car and they don't fit the pug! =(

There are 4 spare holes in the large grommet, which the hood release cable passes. Just remove one (or more) of the plastic plugs.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Fellow Frogger!
    I have a 92 205 GTi, if you look in the engine bay at the firewall on the passenger side there is a rubber grommet there, with a little modification to this grommet you can fit a nice fat power cable, I think mine was 8 gauge, don't worry about mounting under your seat, there's no room and any passengers in the back seat are likely to tread on it or kick it.Under the passenger seat the jack is located there any way. I then ran the power cable down the passenger side of the car under the carpet. I have my amp currently mounted on the back of my sub box and have used a bolt that holds the rear backrest in as an earth. If you are running a sub don't forget to regualry check the bolts that hold the latch on the hatch in, mine keep coming loose!
    05' Megane 225 Cup

Fellow Frogger!
    thanks pugsy!! exactly what i wanted!! =)

Fellow Frogger!
    No prob!!
    05' Megane 225 Cup

Thread Information