307 HDi timing belt change questions.
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default 307 HDi timing belt change questions.

Hi all,
    I've been lurking around the forum for a while and have found some very useful info.

My 2008 307 has 170,000 Km on the clock and it's time for a timing belt change.

I've lined up the cam sprocket and put an 8mm bolt in to hold it in place (about 4 o clock) but the flywheel won't line up with the hole above the starter. (It's about 2 teeth on the flywheel out?)

I'm presuming the belt is stretched but this seems a lot. (I've done a few belt changes over the years and never seen this much discrepancy on dis-assembly.)

Any advice would be appreciated.

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

Someone will complain about my French, but it's all I have (Cit version) (a bit blurred, but I had to jpeg shrink them from Postscript)--
    307 HDi timing belt change questions.-113.jpg307 HDi timing belt change questions.-114.jpg

Tadpole

Thanks for the reply Seasink,
    Unfortunately this looks like a different motor. My belt doesn't run around a fuel pump.
    All I have is Cam, idler, crank, water pump and tensioner.

1000+ Posts

What motor is it? 2.0?

Tadpole

Yeah 2.0
    DW10BTED4

1000+ Posts

Sorry to have taken so long - I converted a set of the A series diesel in error.

You can pick up all the gen, in French again, for the 2008 C4 which uses the same DW10BTED4 motor, at http://service.citroen.com/dtt/CDP/d...C4/2008_c4.zip. There's a pdf enclosed. Look up "distribution" for motor RHR from p179 on.

PS https://translate.google.com.au/ can do a reasonable if odd translation.
    Last edited by seasink; 3rd July 2014 at 09:31 PM. Reason: ps

Tadpole

Thanks seasink,

This is a big help, looks a lot more like what's in the car.
    Page 187 shows a different method to lock the crank, (as apposed to a pin through the hole.) It's freezing out in the shed so I'll wait till the morning before continuing, but more marking and counting teeth is in order.
    I think you've saved me from making a big mistake....

1000+ Posts

Just to confirm, the letters RHR are in your VIN. Read up on the balancer/pulley.

PS p187 (as printed) is a different motor, RHZ. p187 of the pdf is motor RHR.
    Last edited by seasink; 3rd July 2014 at 10:15 PM.

Tadpole

Yep, RHR in the VIN.
    Going through the translation process now..

1000+ Posts

Probably too late now, but there are quick ways to get the text out of a large pdf file. In Linux, the command is:
    pdftotext -f <1st page> -l <last page> -layout source.pdf destination.txt (NB only one hyphen at -layout)

You can get software for Windows as well, including Acrobat.

There was a time when you could pipe text into translate.google.com, but there is now a fee for this service, so you'll probably have to paste it in chunks into their web page.

Hi, not long done a belt change on 2007 2lt HDi. I fabricated a ring gear locking device to hold the c.shaft when undoing the c/shaft pulley bolt. Can send If you promise to send back. I am near Bendigo. Other than a tight squeeze around the engine it went ok. There were some hidden cable clamps on the timing belt cover which were hard to get at.

Tadpole

Thanks for the offer Lockwwod, I ended up going out in the cold last night and made one up.

Your right about the cable clips on the back of the top cover. A real pain..

Jobs finished, it went back together easier than it came apart. And runs fine

Thanks again to Seasink. Without the manual I would have put it back together with the crank lined up to the pin and had the timing one tooth out. That would have been rather embarrassing.

1000+ Posts

Heck there's no flies on you! Next time I'll send mine down to Bacchus Marsh.

Thread Information