Just picked up my 206 gti 180 Woo Hoo
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Just picked up my 206 gti 180 Woo Hoo

Hey People

Just picked up my silver gti 180 on the weekend and have been loving it ever since. Having driven a clapped out honda civic for 5 years I have seen the light! It's amazing the difference that a good car puts on dial even if you are doing something mundane like driving to work. To all pug owners out there... I SALUTE YOU!!!

Being my first post n'all, got a few questions,

Advertisement

1) I heard rumors that there is a gti 180 club in nsw, is there any truth in that?

2) What car care cleaning products do you recommend (i.e car wash, wheel cleaner)

Catch ya later people!

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by bad_karma
    2) What car care cleaning products do you recommend (i.e car wash, wheel cleaner) Catch ya later people!
    Welcome ... watch out there are people who don't think your car is NOT that hot ... but we know better

As for products .. Autoglym is the "bees knees*", although Maguires (spelling?) Gold Class is a resonable (much cheaper) alternative.

- XTC206 -

Anyone ever seen a bees knees ?
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

1) I heard rumors that there is a gti 180 club in nsw, is there any truth in that?
    Congrats! I test drove one on the weekend and I love it too!

check out www.206gti.net for a lot more 206 GTi 138/180 and a bit of CC related discussions.

The seats in the rc180 are well cool too

Also, i'd have probably shot myself if i'd bought a gti just before the rc180 shipped. I've seen a few new gti's kicking around and they must hate themselves. :p

Congrats mate,

I also picked mine up on friday, got an Aegean Blue one and are absoluletly loving it.

Yeah you should check out 206gti.net, great site they have for info.

Simon
    2002 Peugeot 206 XT 1.6 16v sold
    2004 Aegean Blue 206 GTI 180

1983 Peugeot 505 STI

Congatulations on your new purchase, I guarantee you will have hours of fun throwing that car into and out of corners!!

P.S. I changed my login from GTi180killer to Gak306, it appeared that I was ruffling too many feathers. All is good!!

XTC206......

Fellow Frogger!

Congrats! A member at the golf club I work at has just got one and it's the first time i have seen one in the flesh, very very nice, as for car care there was a thread going on such a topic it's in the performance section!!
    Last edited by pugsy; 2nd March 2004 at 09:54 AM.
    05' Megane 225 Cup

Quote Originally Posted by Gak306
    P.S. I changed my login from GTi180killer to Gak306, it appeared that I was ruffling too many feathers. All is good!!
    Gak! I think that you will still to a fine job of ruffling feathers regardless of your username! Keep up the good work!

I used to be a detailer for some years so here we go!

Autoglym is pretty good. It creates a great finish, but in my opinion it creates too much polish dust. So that means if you want to keep up the showroom look for a while, you will need to go over the car with a spray bottle of windex, or water and polish it again with a clean lint free towel.

If you can get your hands on some of the towels that are used for babies nappies (The old school ones, not disposable) these are perfect for polishing. Use one (damp and folded up into a rectangle about 20cm x 10cm) and use another (dry) to polish it of. These cloths are non abrasive, leave very little lint behind and are pretty good at picking up dust.
    Make sure that you only do a section at a time and that you only polish in the shade.

I've generally used Meguiars for about 8 years. It's not too expensive and gives a good finish
    For a metallic silver finish, try Meguiars Mirror Image. (I think that's what it's called) There are a few wheel cleaners by Meguiars that are pretty good too. Although if you regularly clean your car, you can't beat a bit of warm soapy water a soft toothbrush and an old rag for cleaning your wheels. If it's done frequntly, cleaning the wheels will not be too much of a problem.
    All wheel cleaners have a corrosive agent in them, even the ones that say they are non-corrosive have some chemical in there that strip back all the crap on your wheels. So I only recommend using these products if your wheels are really dirty, not when they have a bit of fresh brake dust on them. (When saying really dirty, I mean baked on brake dust, road grime, tar, e.t.c. which normally comes after neglecting to clean your wheels after quite some time)

Don't forget about your windows either. If a car has clean wheels and windows, it makes it look all the better!

Go out and get a really fine grade packet of steel wool. Not the stuff you buy at the supermarket to scub your pots with. Always clean the outside windows of your car after you have washed dried and polished your car.

Get some windex, and again two nappies, one for polishing and one for drying, but don't use the same ones you used for polishing the paintwork.
    Spray the window to be cleaned, give it a light rub down with the steel wool, then follow with the polishing cloth and then the drying cloth. Do this all around the car on the outside and then on the inside, even on the rear window over the defrosting strips. (The fine grade steel wool will not harm the strips)
    DON"T USE STEEL WOOL ON THE INSIDE IF YOU HAVE HAD YOUR WINDOWS TINTED!

Let me know if you need to know anything else!

Cheers,
    Chris

PS, Welcome to and I hope your new car brings you a life time of enjoyment!
    Les hurlements de lion.
    504 GL (gone)
    205 GTI Classic (gone)
    505 STI (gone)
    I can feel a GTI 180 coming on!

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by Gak306
    XTC206......
    How sweet - A liitle Frogge Love ... group hug time hehehehehe All is good.

- XTC206 -

Now this is a .sig

Fellow Frogger!

Wow thanks for the info people, look forward to washing it this weekend!
    Bad_Karma

"The great philisopher Bashra once said... A flute without holes is not a flute, a donut without a hole is a danish" Ty Webb, Pro Golfer, CaddyShack

I wish I had a gti180

XTC

Wow thanks for the info people, look forward to washing it this weekend!
    What city are you in .. look out for the next 206GTi drive day.

- XTC206 -

Now this is a .sig

Fellow Frogger!

I live in sydney, so I look forward to meeting other pug owners around the area
    Bad_Karma

"The great philisopher Bashra once said... A flute without holes is not a flute, a donut without a hole is a danish" Ty Webb, Pro Golfer, CaddyShack

Zen

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you screw the dealer down to? I'm asking 'cos I'm negotiating one at the moment... PM or email me if you want.

Rich

codito ergo sum == code monkey

'04 206 GTi 180
    '95 306 S16

Hey People

Just picked up my silver gti 180 on the weekend and have been loving it ever since. Having driven a clapped out honda civic for 5 years I have seen the light! It's amazing the difference that a good car puts on dial even if you are doing something mundane like driving to work. To all pug owners out there... I SALUTE YOU!!!

Being my first post n'all, got a few questions,

2) What car care cleaning products do you recommend (i.e car wash, wheel cleaner)

Catch ya later people!
    That's you Jimmy isn't it!? So whatcha doing with the civic?

Come down here mate, I'll organise another drive day..you won't believe some of the roads here. Made for cars like ours! btw i haven't forgotten that you promised to let me take it for a good drive

There's a great Car Care thread here already Car Care Products . The search facility on this forum is pretty good.

From my experience only, the Meguiars paint wash, paint cleaner, polish/polymer sealent is quite good. Meguiars tyre black is fantastic, it lasts a month even in rain and longer in the dry if you don't drive on gravel everyday. There are 2 types, shiny and matt finish. Get the shiny one and use a special tyre dressing applicator (repco, autobarn $3) which is basically a curved bit of foam for the tyre and using only a tiny amount of the meguiars stuff on it and wipe on. It won't be too shiny. The advantage with the shiny one as opposed to the matt is you only have to use a tiny amount and seems to last longer than the matt which dulls faster.

I can't remember whether the gti180 has leather in it, but don't use the meguiars gold class leather cleaner/conditioner, it's crap. Go to a saddlery, the conditioner they sell for soft connolly leather is amazing.

Also get an electric orbital buffer thing with lambswool, about $40 from supercheapauto. I got one earlier, and it took me only 1.5 hrs to both paint clean, and polish the entire car. Usually takes me over 4 hrs by hand!

I'll be up in Sydney around June I hope. You still owe me a trip down here, and get Pete and Dave to come along as well (with his R1 of course!).

Talk to you soon mate.

Jude
    Last edited by jastanis; 2nd March 2004 at 01:21 PM.
    Take the long way home....

- 306 gti6

Quote Originally Posted by seesully
    Don't forget about your windows either. If a car has clean wheels and windows, it makes it look all the better!

Go out and get a really fine grade packet of steel wool. Not the stuff you buy at the supermarket to scub your pots with. Always clean the outside windows of your car after you have washed dried and polished your car.
    Chris,

The blade came off mid wipe when I was using the wipers and now I've got a stupid thin scratch that goes in an arc on my windscreen. I used toothpaste and a cloth to try and polish it out but that didn't do crap.Do you know the best way to polish it out?

Thanks,
    Jude

- 306 gti6

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jastanis
    Chris,

The blade came off mid wipe when I was using the wipers and now I've got a stupid thin scratch that goes in an arc on my windscreen. I used toothpaste and a cloth to try and polish it out but that didn't do crap.Do you know the best way to polish it out?

Thanks,
    Jude

try brasso
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    try brasso

I was just about to suggest brasso.

I tried it on my screen as someone decided it would be fun to try cleaning it with a brillo pad.
    Keep in mind that this will only get out very fine scatches. Otherwise you can try getting it buffed out by a pro. No idea how much that would cost or where to get that done. Pugrambo?
    Les hurlements de lion.
    504 GL (gone)
    205 GTI Classic (gone)
    505 STI (gone)

I live in sydney, so I look forward to meeting other pug owners around the area
    Where abouts in Sydney are you??

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by seesully
    I was just about to suggest brasso.

I tried it on my screen as someone decided it would be fun to try cleaning it with a brillo pad.
    Keep in mind that this will only get out very fine scatches. Otherwise you can try getting it buffed out by a pro. No idea how much that would cost or where to get that done. Pugrambo?

no idea on cost
    i generally use brasso on the screen once a year all over to keep it close to new
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Brasso eh, thanks guys. Will try that, though I think the scratch may be a little too deep. Will let you know.

Vic,
    Jim's a Canterbury boy! He'll be posing at the nearest Macca's!

- 306 gti6

Congrats on your new gti180! Give it heaps!
    Using suggestions from some ofthe guys I've tried Meguirs Paint Cleaner and Deep CrystalPolish and found them to be a pretty good product. Although the Carnauba wax was also recommended I didnt try it as it was a bit pricey and I had a bit of Turtle wax left (not the colour wax, which was not recommended by many). Car came up a treat. I got the stuff from the local K-mart with some applicators as well which are really easy on the hands to use.

Lucky the 306 is a small car, imagine a car wash, then paint cleaner, then polish, then wax, then armoral, then vacuum the interior, then clean the windscreens and glass....makes for several hours and very stuffed guy with huge waxon-wax off arms and shoulders. Eat your heart out daniel-san!

How do you pronounce Meguirs? (as Mc Guirs?)
    2007 VW Jetta 2.0 TDi 6sp manual

2001 VW Bora 4-Motion - flooded away
    1998 Peugeot 406 SV manual - Gone to Hail Heaven
    1994 Silver S16 - Gone
    1983 505 Sti - Gone to good home

I have used AUTOSOL with some success on windscreen scratches.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by jastanis
    That's you Jimmy isn't it!? So whatcha doing with the civic?

Come down here mate, I'll organise another drive day..you won't believe some of the roads here. Made for cars like ours! btw i haven't forgotten that you promised to let me take it for a good drive

There's a great Car Care thread here already Car Care Products . The search facility on this forum is pretty good.

From my experience only, the Meguiars paint wash, paint cleaner, polish/polymer sealent is quite good. Meguiars tyre black is fantastic, it lasts a month even in rain and longer in the dry if you don't drive on gravel everyday. There are 2 types, shiny and matt finish. Get the shiny one and use a special tyre dressing applicator (repco, autobarn $3) which is basically a curved bit of foam for the tyre and using only a tiny amount of the meguiars stuff on it and wipe on. It won't be too shiny. The advantage with the shiny one as opposed to the matt is you only have to use a tiny amount and seems to last longer than the matt which dulls faster.

I can't remember whether the gti180 has leather in it, but don't use the meguiars gold class leather cleaner/conditioner, it's crap. Go to a saddlery, the conditioner they sell for soft connolly leather is amazing.

Also get an electric orbital buffer thing with lambswool, about $40 from supercheapauto. I got one earlier, and it took me only 1.5 hrs to both paint clean, and polish the entire car. Usually takes me over 4 hrs by hand!

I'll be up in Sydney around June I hope. You still owe me a trip down here, and get Pete and Dave to come along as well (with his R1 of course!).

Talk to you soon mate.

Jude
    Mate the civic has it's duties as a shopping hack and transportation to crappy areas
    Bad_Karma

Quote Originally Posted by Atan
    How do you pronounce Meguirs? (as Mc Guirs?)
    Meguiars is pronounced, Megwires.

Quote Originally Posted by Warwick2
    I have used AUTOSOL with some success on windscreen scratches.
    I thought AUTOSOL was like a solvent? What is the consistency of this stuff? Is it a polish? Is it a cream? Details please!
    Les hurlements de lion.
    504 GL (gone)
    205 GTI Classic (gone)
    505 STI (gone)

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information