1970 Peugeot 504 in U.S.A with 1800 engine Which head gasket and where to find it ?
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By GRAHAM WALLIS

Thread: 1970 Peugeot 504 in U.S.A with 1800 engine Which head gasket and where to find it ?

Tadpole

Default 1970 Peugeot 504 in U.S.A with 1800 engine Which head gasket and where to find it ?

Hello my mechanic keeps getting sent the wrong head gasket for this 1970 504 with believed to be original engine. Has the twin carb set-up and 4 speed column shift. Anybody have ideas. Should I go by and get photos? I would like to start driving this car. Thank You John

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

504 with twin carb sounds like a 2ltr motor .(the original 2l carbs were mounted across the engine bay, not inline with head)
    photos would help

the 1800 motors use the 1600 404 head gasket , different bore and a closed block (not open like 504)

Try Western Hemispheres in USA for gaskets

Tadpole

Thanks for the info. Western Hemispheres is quite close to my place out in Monterey. Hopefully I will be driving the car soon. I will drop by my mechanic's shop and add pics. Thanks again

It is possible the twin carbs were used on US spec cars long before they were used here because the US had strict emission controls before the rest of the world

VIP Sponsor

Yes, that is correct, we got the US engine when emission controls came in in 1976.
    The 404 wagon came out with a twin carb 2 litre fairly early on in the US.
    Also, being a 1970 model it is possibly an XM7 engine not an XM and will have the open top block, same as our 2 litre.

Quote Originally Posted by julian b View Post
    It is possible the twin carbs were used on US spec cars long before they were used here because the US had strict emission controls before the rest of the world

Tadpole

Hello again I have #s here stamp on block A12355P Cast # on block 100055. Cast #s on head are 100063.Also E70 and a 25 bracketed by circle slash looking castings. Does any of this help with the gasket fitment puzzle? Thanks John

Quote Originally Posted by johnny crappits View Post
    Hello again I have #s here stamp on block A12355P Cast # on block 100055. Cast #s on head are 100063.Also E70 and a 25 bracketed by circle slash looking castings. Does any of this help with the gasket fitment puzzle? Thanks John
    If the block has a closed head (ie you can't see down into the water jackets around the cylinders) it's an 1800. If you can see down around the cylinders it's a 2 litre. This will be very obvious.

A head gasket for an 1800 has an opening for each cylinder of about 87.5 mm diameter. 2 litre head gaskets have openings of about 90 mm for each cylinder.

VIP Sponsor

As I said previously in this thread it may be an XM7 engine which will be 1800 and have the open top block.
    There are far more of these engines around than the XM we got here.
    Even the 1600s after 1970 had the open top block, XC7.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Chisholm View Post
    If the block has a closed head (ie you can't see down into the water jackets around the cylinders) it's an 1800. If you can see down around the cylinders it's a 2 litre. This will be very obvious.

A head gasket for an 1800 has an opening for each cylinder of about 87.5 mm diameter. 2 litre head gaskets have openings of about 90 mm for each cylinder.

Noted. So does the XM7 use the same head gasket as an XM?

VIP Sponsor

No, needs the one with waterproofing on the face as per the XN, so you would need a special one for an XM7 or XC7.
    Maybe this is the problem with getting a gasket.
    Possibly a 2 litre one would do the job.
    Wildebeest likes this.

John,
    I don't think I'm adding anything new here, confusion perhaps?

My Peugeot Factory Manual has it that there are 3 head gaskets for the 504....
    XM Engine 1800cc = 86.5mm bore.
    XN1 and XN2. 2 litre = 90 mm bore.
    XM7 engine 1800 = 86.5 mm bore.

The factory manuals refer to Free Expanding Liners. We refer to them as Closed Block. [XM engine with rubber liner seals].

The factory........refer to Compressed Liners. We refer to them as Open Block. [XN1/XN2 and XM7].

Among my notations I found the part number for the XM7 head gasket to suit an 1800 open liner 404 I owned, P/N 0209 F8.

Among my collection I had a head with XM7 embossed on the top face [between rocker posts]. I understand that this head was OK on a 2 litre block ?
    Last edited by Wildebeest; 5th July 2014 at 05:12 PM. Reason: tipo

Unless one was aware of all this it would sorta make ordering a new head gasket a bit tricky, as per the original post.

Fellow Frogger!

as usual, the problem with old pugs is not to find the parts but to identify the exact one-out-of-million sub-version of your car and know what part you need...

John needs to determine what engine he has [obviously].
    The 2 litre engine has a 90mm bore. With that out of the way we need to determine if it is one of the 1800cc engines.
    Presumably the head is off the engine. The blocks can then be identified as XM = closed type. These were fitted to the very early 504 with 1800cc 86.5 bore.
    The XM7 block is the open type. 1800cc 86.5 bore. These were fitted to some 504's. These were called "Administration" models for Government use ?

On the 1800cc models the cylinder heads/gaskets are not interchangeable.

Hope this helps John.

Cheers,
    John

2pac.
    I believe your Peugeot is an 1800 model, you may be able to add some details here?

Fellow Frogger!

Mine is 505 xm7, probably with 7.5 compression ratio (75hp?), i'm not sure as the sticker on the engine is gone, but i still didn't have to remove the head...
    Another 505 i dismantled was xm7 with 8.8 compression (82hp?) and it sure had an open block.

Thread Information