• Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By addo

Thread: Peugeot 206 replacement key

Tadpole

Default Peugeot 206 replacement key

Hi,

I bought a 206 a couple of years ago second hand with only one key. I'm getting it ready to sell but I've managed to break the key. It can still be used manually but not remotely. I've heard replacement keys are expensive through Peugeot, but is there anywhere else I could get one? I'm in Brisbane.

Thanks

Advertisement

Hi,

I have just bought a 206 GTi with only one key which is slightly annoying as this car will be used by both myself and my girlfriend.

We asked our local Mr. Minit who advised that because the keys are coded they are quite expensive to replace. He quoted $130. I am not sure if this includes remote locking though as currently the key we are using doesn't work remotely.

I would ask around and see if there is a common pattern to the pricing.

Andy

1000+ Posts

The dealers have us by the short and curlies with these immobiliser keys. Blank cases are cheap (eg French Connection). Cutting is cheap at a range of local locksmiths. The trap is the immobiliser chip inside. Fleabay dealers can supply complete units which may or may not need cutting. You will then need the PSA software to code the chip to the car, which can be done for $$$ at a dealer or by someone here who may be able to help.

Do a Google search on the forum, as it comes up regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by andy_roo_187 View Post
    Hi,

I have just bought a 206 GTi with only one key which is slightly annoying as this car will be used by both myself and my girlfriend.

We asked our local Mr. Minit who advised that because the keys are coded they are quite expensive to replace. He quoted $130. I am not sure if this includes remote locking though as currently the key we are using doesn't work remotely.

I would ask around and see if there is a common pattern to the pricing.

Andy
    Some Mr Minut franchises can cut the key and duplicate the immobilizer chip. I paid about $100 a few years ago to duplicate a Honda key + chip.

So I would suggest the price you were quoted is key and chip. The chip can be duplicated by reading the data off your existing, working key and then writing to another chip.The chip is enclosed within the top section of the duplicated mechanical key.

I'd suggest Mr Minit represents value - but check and get a price from a D(st)ealer (make sure it includes the key, chip plus reprogramming the car to accept the new key)

The price will be for the key and chip only imo.
    The less one interacts with rude, ignorant, critical and argumentative members. The more peaceful life becomes.

Fellow Frogger!

^ Agreed 100%. I got a spare for my 306 just as a backup and it was a smidge under $100 for the key to be provided, cut and the immobilizer code copied across. Getting a key that does the central locking as well is what costs the big bucks. Peugeot quoted me somewhere around $300-400.
    2000 306 GTi6 'Josie'

It seems as if all you need is something like: Carprog Full V6 8 With Software'S Activated AND 21 Items Adapters Tool | eBay

or Original X 100 X100 Plus Auto Programmer English Version Cheap Price | eBay

Not sure which but the second one looks like it will work. So judging by the price, after the 3rd/4th customer, they've paid for the price of the tool

Fellow Frogger!

You can pair multiple remote locking fobs with each car (if they have the removable transponder), buy a second hand one of teh 'bay and put the coded insert and cut blade into it. If the cut blade isnt compatible with the fob you can always take the blade and coded insert out of it and just have a dangly remote opener along with the key.

good clarification addo
    Last edited by hypermiler; 2nd July 2014 at 09:41 AM.
    406 HDi

You CANNOT use (as in, reassign) mismatched secondhand transmitters ("fobs") on may newer PSA product. Do not believe the internet - this misinformation is recycled endlessly.

The ability to re-assign chipped keys went with the change to transmitter boards that incorporated the transponder chip.

As the OP's key still opens and de-immobilises, it may be just a surface mount contact switch to replace.
    hypermiler likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Just bought a key from ebay for $49 from a local locksmith, reprogramming is done with PP2000 and pay 15 odd to have it cut, cheap and simple.
    PUG 206 GTI 180
    AEGEAN BLUE
    OZ RACING ULTRALEGGERAS
    BREMBOS
    ACHILLIES 123S TRACK RUBBER
    AST SPORTLINE I
    AST SOLID TOP MOUNTS
    EMS EXHAUST
    EMS TUNED
    AP CLUTCH
    PHILLIPS HIDS
    GENUINE MORETTES
    IPOD CABLE
    DYNAMAT

107 fwkW DYNO'D 2012

Tadpole

I can do both the keys and the transponder if you have the code and the chip.. I am in BrisVegas. I have PP2000

rooddog

Tadpole

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your replies, I just want to clarify something (sorry I'm not techno savvy). When I said that I broke the key, I broke the bit inside the black fob. There's a green bit (chip?) with a big silver bit and two small silver bits and the two small silver bits have broken off the green bit (are you following? ) So when you talk about getting chips duplicated/coded I'm assuming I can't do this as the chip is broken (I think?) Any ideas? Thanks L

You've broken off the microswitches by sounds of it. Easy fix for someone who can solder repair SMDs.

No mean to Roodog: my spare 206 key looks like this - where is the chip on that? It feels like solid PC/ABS Is it inside that plastic?moulding?

Tadpole

Default 206 key quote

Quote Originally Posted by rooddog View Post
    I can do both the keys and the transponder if you have the code and the chip.. I am in BrisVegas. I have PP2000

rooddog
    Hi,

I have the key with a broken chip. I'm not sure what you mean by the code so I guess I don't have it. I went to a Mr Minit who said he could only do a key that worked manually and I'd have to go back to Peugeot for a remote locking key.

Would you be able to do a replacement remote key for me and if so, what sort of price would I be looking at?

Thanks

Tadpole

5 mm chip inside the plastic

Thread Information