Advice Requested - O2 sensor cost?
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By addo

Thread: Advice Requested - O2 sensor cost?

Tadpole

Icon7 Advice Requested - O2 sensor cost?

Hey Guys!

I've got my pug in at the mechanics at the moment and he told me the O2 sensor is shot (not reporting any output whatsoever).

He told me it will cost $325.00 to replace (parts and labour). Is that a decent price? Could I get it done cheaper elsewhere, or could I do it myself (considering I'm not really that skilled mechanically - I've changed the oil, that's about it!).

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement

-Dave.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by higherdestiny View Post
    Hey Guys!

I've got my pug in at the mechanics at the moment and he told me the O2 sensor is shot (not reporting any output whatsoever).

He told me it will cost $325.00 to replace (parts and labour). Is that a decent price? Could I get it done cheaper elsewhere, or could I do it myself (considering I'm not really that skilled mechanically - I've changed the oil, that's about it!).

Thanks in advance!

-Dave.
    The O2 Sensor could cost in the region of $80-120.00. Try your local Bosch outlet or Ebay (which would be cheaper but slower to get)

Usually you can fit these yourself. It's just a matter of access under the car usually The sensors normally just plug in. I dont know the specifics for your car -a manual would be helpful. Maybe others have done this anyway.
    1998 Peugeot 406 D8SV Manual
    1999 Peugeot 406 D8ST Auto
    2002 Peugeot 406 D9SV Manual
    1994 Peuegot 306 N3 Cabriolet Manual
    1994 Peugeot 306 XR N3 Hatch
    1995 Peugeot 505 GTI executive
    1976 Peugeot 504 Sedan - Now sold

Over 60 Pugs in my time
    Gerry Mullock

1000+ Posts

As Pugnut1 said. Sensors are attached to a very hot part of the exhaust and can weld themselves on extremely tightly. You can get an oxygen sensor socket, with a cut-out down the side for the cable, that makes this job much easier.
    Name:  sensor1.jpeg
Views: 190
Size:  2.2 KBName:  sensor2.jpeg
Views: 170
Size:  1.6 KB

1000+ Posts

Its not difficult,located in the exhaust ,it may help if you tell us what car it is ,it will be either 2 wire or 3 wire ,plugs into a socket ,i go to my local auto spark ,orders it in same day, about $ 80 for a 405 .pugs

There's a margin on parts, a labour fee, and if the garage has any sense, a surcharge for work undertaken on a lift. Diagnosis has to be added to the R&R costs if the mechanic is to warrant their decision to replace.
    cjl likes this.

The tools Seasink suggested do the job well.
    With the 205 Si I have found that a large crank ring spanner does the job without having to purchase special tools.
    The two connector plugs (which you have to undo anyway) fit through the centre of the ring spanner.
    Paul.

Thread Information