• Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Specnut727

Thread: Peugeot 208 GTi 30th Anniversary special edition

Default Peugeot 208 GTi 30th Anniversary special edition

I like the two tone color.

Advertisement

from press release:
    PEUGEOT unveils the 208 GTi 30th anniversary edition on the occasion of the Goodwood Festival of Speed. 30 years after the 205 GTi, PEUGEOT reinterprets the legend in a more radical version of the 208 GTi. The 208 GTi 30th delivers more intense driving sensations with its new Euro 6 1.6-litre THP petrol engine developing 208 hp and torque increased to 300 Nm. It is mated to a six-speed manual gearbox, with exceptional traction and efficiency assured through the specification of a Torsen differential and specific suspension and steering settings. Its sporty and assertive temperament can also been seen in its stance and look, in particularly by its two-material livery, separated by a sharp dividing line. It will be presented to the public at the forthcoming 2014 Paris Motor Show, with sales starting in November 2014.

2 pictures and full press release

Looks daft!!

1990 Renault 5 GT turbo
    ####current rides####
    1994 205 gti 1.9 sorento green
    1988 205 gti 1.9 uk import grey
    2001 clio 172 sport ph1 #44/85
    1998 306 gti6. Blaze yellow
    1992 Honda Fireblade
    2013 Yamaha fzs sho Jetski
    1998 Supra RZ twin turbo white
    1999 Wrx classic gc8 sonic blue

Fellow Frogger!

I like it, looks suitably aggressive compared to the current GTi. Not coming to Australia though, shame.
    2000 306 GTi6 'Josie'

Yep, I agree it looks odd. And the extra 6 kW seems a bit pointless. I don't understand why they wouldn't go for more per the RCZ-R. But I'd love to have the Torsen diff in my GTi !!!!

Tadpole

Reminds me of the Baboons with a red bum...

The black wheels would look nice on my white GTI

Love the color combo.

It should have had a tweaked version of the RCZ-R engine making 208Kw, not hp.
    Track car-Steel Grey 405 Mi16 2.2 litre

405 Track car build thread moved to-
    http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index...ic=143279&st=0

Lap times-
    Sandown 1 27.9
    Phillip Island 1 53.8

Previous Frenchies-
    1988 205Gti
    1998 306 GTi6
    1997 306 N5 sedan
    1996 306 N3 XT hatch
    1976 Renault R16TS manual in Avocado
    1976 Renault R16TS manual in Trak Yellow
    1975 Renault 5 Guernsey, Channel Islands
    1972 Renault 4 Guernsey, Channel Islands

Quote Originally Posted by TrinityJayOne View Post
    I like it, looks suitably aggressive compared to the current GTi. Not coming to Australia though, shame.
    The importers won't bring it in. Wouldn't suit the image of Peugeots that my adult son & daughter say that they're known for, being "..cars that old men drive", hence auto-only diesels which, thankfully, this 208 GTI model wouldn't be produced in.

And yes, why only 6kw more over the standard model?

C'mon Mr Tavares, you gave the world performance CLIOs & MEGANEs whilst at Renault. Lift PSA out of its beige cardigan image & give your shareholders - & buyers - value for the bizillions spent on WRC & general rallying, Pikes Peak ventures, Le Mans runs, Dakar, to name a few motor sport genres.

PSA H.O. & buyers might then be able to pressure PSA importers to broaden the range of cars to include performance vehicles. It's working for Merc, VW, Renault, Audi, BMW, VF Commodore V8s, Skoda.

Quote Originally Posted by TrinityJayOne View Post
    According to the dealer in Hobart, it IS coming to Oz, and can be on the road for about $44k. Dunno if it's worth the extra $$, but I do like how it looks.

Simon in Tassie

GTi6, 207GTi, 308 Touring

The list of improvements over the GTi is impressive. Diff, wheels, brakes, suspension etc. would definitely make it manage the power better. Maybe worth the $.

Always preferred the look of the Fiesta ST but now I'm not so sure. The red baboon's arse aside, I think that looks epic. $44k is a bit steep though, isn't the whole point of a hot hatch cheap performance?

Quote Originally Posted by Edd205 View Post
    $44k is a bit steep though, isn't the whole point of a hot hatch cheap performance?
    That would tend to disregard the prevalence of the Golf GTI, wouldn't it?
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

I would level the same criticism at the Golf GTI. If I were in the market for a VW, I'd take the Polo GTI every time.

Quote Originally Posted by SLC206 View Post
    That would tend to disregard the prevalence of the Golf GTI, wouldn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Edd205 View Post
    I would level the same criticism at the Golf GTI. If I were in the market for a VW, I'd take the Polo GTI every time.
    No chance - it only comes in sluggomatic.

At least with the Golf you can get a manual.
    Regards,

Simon

----

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Not sure if that's a valid criticism these days. Heaps of improvement in auto boxes, almost nil in manual boxes (except for one or two extra ratios), you now get better performance AND better fuel economy out of the autos. Sad but true.

Simon in Tassie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuT0-CZtKmU#t=8m40
    loved this scene in cowboy bebop, where this tech nerd asks the old school mechanic why he isn't using such and such fuel injectors and such and such steering

the oldie responds "kikai ni tsukawarete noka, kikai wo tsukaitai no ka, dochi da?"

Do you want to use the machine or do you want the machine to use you

Quote Originally Posted by Simon_Tassie View Post
    Not sure if that's a valid criticism these days. Heaps of improvement in auto boxes, almost nil in manual boxes (except for one or two extra ratios), you now get better performance AND better fuel economy out of the autos. Sad but true.
    No I don't think that's true. Sure automated manuals produce better fuel economy figures than autos, but I don't think they produce a better driving experience or ownership experience.

When thinking of the Polo DSG and the Renault Clio box, for example, it's the lack of choice that is the issue for me. I don't really care how many other people choose not to drive a manual. While I still can, I shall choose a manual.
    Regards,

Simon

----

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Tadpole

$44K for it just proves that the standard 208 GTI is great value!

It amazes me so many people buy Golf GTI's. I had one and sold it, the DSG like most autos now was programmed for fuel economy and got a bit frustrating after a while, the launch control was fun

I also has an Audi A1 with DSG, it went into 7th gear at 56 kph! not much fun but great fuel economy

Give me a real manual any day

Quote Originally Posted by SLC206 View Post
    No I don't think that's true. Sure automated manuals produce better fuel economy figures than autos, but I don't think they produce a better driving experience or ownership experience.

When thinking of the Polo DSG and the Renault Clio box, for example, it's the lack of choice that is the issue for me. I don't really care how many other people choose not to drive a manual. While I still can, I shall choose a manual.
    I agree with you - I prefer to drive a manual. But current figures, from what I can tell, are that current autos produce better fuel economy than manuals in the same vehicle. Maybe that is the manufacturer's trying to influence the market, but I don't think so. I'm happy to be corrected, but I've heard it from a few respected motoring sources.

Simon in Tassie

You'd probably believe you can get 1.9L/100 km in a Mitsubishi truck, too, hybrid or no ...

I'm so over bang-boxes being "driven" by rev-heads who might as well be driving full autos. They're just this year's answer to show-off valves ...
    MY15 208GTi

previously:
    MY10 Sportium HDi6 and 1.6L auto
    MY99 206GTi
    MY96 306XSi auto
    MY02 Clio 1.4L auto

1ére grenouille:
    MY5? Simca Aronde 90A

QUICK! MORE BREAD, MORE CIRCUSES!!

G'day Simon_Tassie, you need to read the 'fine print' about what car manufacturer's are calling 'automatic'. A conventional Slush Box with torque converter (AKA transmission oil heater) is unlikely to be as ecomomical as a proper manual, even with lock up torque converter and 7, 8, or 9 speeds, but they come close. Some car manufacturers are calling CVTs and twin clutch automated manuals 'automatic', and they can be more economical than a manual. And the vast majority of 'put in petrol and turn the key MOTORISTS' wouldn't know the difference, as long as they can put it in 'D' and forget about it. Then they probably wouldn't know if their bum as on fire either.
    Simon_Tassie likes this.

Thread Information