New 208GTi
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: New 208GTi

Default New 208GTi

Hi Everyone,

This is really just an excuse to say "look at me - I just bought a new car". But what ever it takes...😀

Advertisement

My lease has just ended and knowing this was coming I've been heavily 'researching' for months. In the last few weeks I've had the carsales app constantly on with an ever changing short list of about twenty cars. I bought a new 208GTi yesterday - and it had never made the list...

Being a lurking Aussiefrogger and Peugeot loving club member, I wanted to like the 208GTi but just wasn't doing it for me. Had decided to buy a near new Scirocco R but just before signing, decided to pop round the corner to the pug dealer just to make sure I wasn't missing something.

As it turned out - and this is probably the only interesting point on this post! - it looks so much better in the metal than in pictures! I've even chosen the shark grey which I wouldn't usually. (Though it does match the 205Si I once had...)

For the record, the Fiesta ST must be a great drive but it looks and feels too cheap/bogan for me. And the Clio RS feels (slightly) cheaper inside than the Pug.

Originally drove the RenaultSport Megane 265 RB which turned out to be the opposite to the 208 - I really wanted one until I saw and drove it. I'm sure that flat out it'll be brilliant - but we so rarely get to do that. So (like my wife's MX5 that we got rid of) the rest of the time its a cheap feeling pov pack that's not that comfortable or, really, all that tasteful. The chicky babe that they magically produced to sit in the passenger seat (wtf?!) actually sunk it by asking "So how's it feel after your Mazda (SP25)?" Disappointingly, for just pottering around town: no nicer but less comfortable.

Anyway, the 208GTi was a very pleasant surprise inside and out and a great thing to drive (on test drive at least...). I saved a lot of money over the contenders I had been considering and for losing out on very little - if anything.

Cheers,

Tony.
    Via the aussiefrogs App
    2014 Peugeot 208GTi
    2015 Peugeot 308 Allure Premium Touring
    1982 Alfa Romeo GTV

Previous Frogs: 1999 Peugeot 306 Cabriolet; 1996 Peugeot 406ST, 1991 Peugeot 205Si, 2005 Citroen C2 VTR, 1984 Renault Fuego GTX, 1985 Renault Fuego GTX.

(Previous Bulldogs: 1974 Jaguar XJ6; 1988 Jaguar XJ-S, 1974 Jaguar XJ6, Rover P6 (X6))

Congrats!
    1966 Peugeot 404 Coupé Injection post-restoration reassembly underway!
    Register your 404: https://recensement.leclub404.com/submit.php

Well done, Tony. I must say I'm a bit surprised - but I quite liked it when I test drove one too.

One of the reasons I bought a 207 GTi instead of the Fiesta XR4 was the Ford's very cheap interior. It may have gone alright but it looked awful inside. I haven't sat inside or driven a new Fiesta ST, but it seems like they haven't lifted their game much in the interior stakes. The regular Fiesta looks very "plasticy" inside and that centre console is just awful.

The Clio loses without even trying as it only comes in sluggomatic.

I'm not a huge fan of digital speedos - do you know if you can turn that bit off?
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Congrats mate. Great cars. Enjoy.

Love the shark grey also. My favourite! Look forward to seeing some pics.
    Lotus Evora
    Peugeot 308 GTi
    1966 Volvo 122s
    Clio Sport Cup 182

Previous
    Lotus Sport 111, C4 VTS, RCZ, 205 GTi, Volvo C30 T5-R, Honda S2000, 206 GTi180, Lotus Elise 111R, 205 GTi 6, Manual 406 coupe, 306 GTi 6, 405 MI16 (twice!), 505 GR

never been inside an ST but i've heard so many good things about them, from people here and reviews.

simon, the interiors of both look quite similar

Quote Originally Posted by lion5 View Post
    never been inside an ST but i've heard so many good things about them, from people here and reviews.

simon, the interiors of both look quite similar

Our Fiesta's don't have that big screen in the centre. And those publicity shots demonstrate the point. There's a bigger difference in reality. Even looking at the photos on carsales gives a better idea.

Cheers,

Tony.

Via the aussiefrogs App
    2014 Peugeot 208GTi
    1982 Alfa Romeo GTV

Previous Frogs: 1999 Peugeot 306 Cabriolet; 1996 Peugeot 406ST, 1991 Peugeot 205Si, 2005 Citroen C2 VTR, 1984 Renault Fuego GTX, 1985 Renault Fuego GTX.

(Previous Bulldogs: 1974 Jaguar XJ6; 1988 Jaguar XJ-S, 1974 Jaguar XJ6, Rover P6 (X6))

Quote Originally Posted by SLC206 View Post
    Well done, Tony. I must say I'm a bit surprised - but I quite liked it when I test drove one too.

One of the reasons I bought a 207 GTi instead of the Fiesta XR4 was the Ford's very cheap interior. It may have gone alright but it looked awful inside. I haven't sat inside or driven a new Fiesta ST, but it seems like they haven't lifted their game much in the interior stakes. The regular Fiesta looks very "plasticy" inside and that centre console is just awful.

The Clio loses without even trying as it only comes in sluggomatic.

I'm not a huge fan of digital speedos - do you know if you can turn that bit off?
    It looks like things haven't changed then. That's how I'd sum up the current versions. Agree re the Clio too.

I think you can get rid of the digital speedo because I think its part of a cycle of different info. Not sure though.

The other I interesting thing I didn't realize until after I got home - and perhaps indicates I'm too old for the intended demographic: there's no CD player!! My wife thinks its hilarious that I can't cope with that...
    (But to be fair I've been to officeworks and got a tiny chrome with red trim USB for ma toons...)

Cheers,

Tony.

Via the aussiefrogs App
    2014 Peugeot 208GTi
    1982 Alfa Romeo GTV

Congrats on the purchase Tony.I hope you won't be dissappointed.
    I've had my 208 GTi for 9 months now and has not missed a beat.
    Recently done a 5000km trip and was brilliant over some ordinary roads,
    and made me smile on a number of twisty roads.
    Only complaint,got a bit sore in the shoulders after doing a 1300km drive
    one day,due to small steering wheel.But that's insignificant.
    I prefer a cd also,but,I deal with it.
    Simon,you can turn off the digital display,button on wiper stalk. Display
    goes through a sequence of GPS,music playing or blank.Looks funny though
    with no display.
    I just had my 20,000km service and two things replaced under warranty.
    Battery cables were re-routed and a coolant sensor.
    I love this car,better than the 207GTi. I missed my 306S16,but not anymore
    since I've had the 208.
    Totally agree about interiors in the Renault and Ford.
    Still not used the GPS,(not a fan of them anyway)but I'm sure it works.
    And the girls like the 208GTi,but,your married.
    Enjoy your new car!!

Cheers
    Andrew

Tadpole

Congrats on your GTI, I have had mine a week and I'm really happy with it.

I looked at a lot of cars as well and i was really impressed with the GTI when I took it for a drive The GPS is a challenge, I think I need a teenager to make it work...

Icon6

G'day,
    you could try a GPS speedo, more accurate, plus over speed warnings.
    Hummingbird Electronics Pty Limited - GPS Speedometers
    saved me more than twice.
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

G'day Black C2. Welcome to the club ! I've had my GTi 10 months and really love it. Agree with all the comments on the interiors, but nobody's mentioned the 'over the wheel' instruments. My favourite feature of the layout and just fell into place for me despite all the negative press comments.
    Yes, the wiper stalk button is the trick for changing the central display. About 7 to choose from and one has odo and trip but no digital speed. I love the cruise control and use it all the time. The 5 settable preset speeds work great. The satnav works OK, but not as user friendly as my old Garmin. But it's easier to use it than have the Garmin, cable, etc hanging around the dash.

I wasn't at all concerned with the over the small wheel speedo thing - it was fine for me.

Since I bought the DS3, I haven't used a CD in the car. It streams music of my phone via bluetooth quite well. In fact, I'm not entirely certain it's ever had a music CD in there.

I didn't try this on my test drive, but I'm sure it will be just as good on the 208.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Congrats on the new pug ride Tony.

Looking forward to seeing some pics!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2006 Peugeot 206 GTi 180

Thread Information