306 idle problems.
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default 306 idle problems.

Hi guys, sorry to make my first post a request for help. But I'm pulling my hair out with this one. I have a 1998 306 xsi automatic that has an idle that intermittently bounces around and sometimes stalls. It mostly happens after slowly coming to a stop.
    It has a new idle control solenoid/stepper motor and the connector and pins were also replaced. I have checked the pins at the ecu connector and they look clean and dry. I've had a look over any vacuum lines I can find and they seem ok?

i noticed the sucking noise coming from the charcoal canister inside the rh quarter panel while the car is running. I wasn't sure if it was suppose to be sucking air in so I temporarily blocked the hole with gasket sealer. After a short couple of drives I noticed the fuel gauge had increased. I figure this is because the vacuum is now transferred through to the fuel tank. This is confirmed when removing the fuel filler cap and the vacuum is released. I have since disconnected the purge solenoid to prevent damaging the fuel tank.

So in summary, does anyone have any ideas regarding the idle problem and is the sucking noise from the charcoal canister normal?

i will try an upload a pic of where I blocked the canister.

Advertisement

Thanks in advance for any ideas, cheers josh.

Tadpole

1000+ Posts

I don't know about the vacuum, but the stalling when idling to a halt occurs in 405s, and is often wrongly attributed to the stepper motor.

In manual models the cause can be a rotation sensor mounted on the gearbox speedo drive gears which informs the ECU that the car is moving. I've never looked at the back of an auto box for it, but there may be a similar sensor - there are wires attached to the drive connection as well as the thick speedo drive cable.

Tadpole

Thanks seasink, I really appreciate your feedback. I'll check it out. I wasn't aware of that sensor but definitely worth checking out

Thread Information