306 N5 GTi6 Windscreen
  • Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Member Cookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    31

    Default 306GTi6 Windscreen

    Does anyone have or know a good place to get a 306 GTi6 windscreen from.
    A not so friendly rock paid an untimely visit to mine.
    I am located in Sydney.

    Advertisement

  2. #2
    Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Parkes - N.S.W - Australia - Earth
    Posts
    12,266

    Default

    shop around and sit down for prices

    i noticed that the prices have near doubled in the last 2 years for them
    i got mine supplied and fitted for $300

    O'briens will do it for you for near $600 and tell you that the screens have to be sourced from peugeot and hence the price but don't believe them

    if you were out this way i'd give you the blokes number in town here to get one but it may be a bit too far to travel for a screen

    but then again if it's 1/2 the price i doubt you would use $300 worth of fuel
    3 x '78 604 SL

    1 x 2018 3008

    1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

    1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

    1 x secret project

    1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

    1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

    1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

  3. #3
    1000+ Posts cam85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Bondi
    Posts
    3,370

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cookie
    Does anyone have or know a good place to get a 306 GTi6 windscreen from.
    A not so friendly rock paid an untimely visit to mine.
    I am located in Sydney.


    I had my drivers window smashed the first night i bought my 205 and the bext day a place near me in bowral had one and fitted it. It cost 257$
    So maby just do the ring around to a few places
    Cheers Cam

  4. #4
    Member Cookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    31

    Default

    Thank's guy's, I will do the ask around thing and see where it leads me.
    Unfortunately I didn't tick the optional windscreen cover on my insurance policy
    (in 24 years of driving I have never broken a windscreen.....go figure).
    Steve.

  5. #5
    Member Cookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    31

    Default

    I ended up going with Windscreens Obrien. They are charging $454 fitted at my workplace. An extra $110 for the moulding if required. It certainly beats the first quote of $1000.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    102

    Default

    Are all 306 windscreens this expensive, or is there something special about the GTi6? I'm selling my S16 soon, and will no doubt have to get a new screen for a RWC. But man I don't wanna spend $600 for a screen!

    Down here in Victoria the government is as anal about windscreens as it is about speed. Obviously someone in the windscreen industry was givin out free blow***s to the pollies at some point in history!

    Damien


    Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    shop around and sit down for prices

    i noticed that the prices have near doubled in the last 2 years for them
    i got mine supplied and fitted for $300

    O'briens will do it for you for near $600 and tell you that the screens have to be sourced from peugeot and hence the price but don't believe them

    if you were out this way i'd give you the blokes number in town here to get one but it may be a bit too far to travel for a screen

    but then again if it's 1/2 the price i doubt you would use $300 worth of fuel

  7. #7
    Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Parkes - N.S.W - Australia - Earth
    Posts
    12,266

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cookie
    I ended up going with Windscreens Obrien. They are charging $454 fitted at my workplace. An extra $110 for the moulding if required. It certainly beats the first quote of $1000.

    go out to the car and run around the seal and make sure it is still supple
    the other things that you may notice that is weird is the the seal only goes around 3 edges of the glass
    there is nothing on the bottom edge
    if the seal is still supple then you save having to pay the extra $110
    3 x '78 604 SL

    1 x 2018 3008

    1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

    1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

    1 x secret project

    1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

    1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

    1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

  8. #8
    Member Cookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    31

    Default

    The only reason I can see for the added cost of the GTi6 screen is the provision for the rain sensor for the auto wipers. This is really only a larger blacked out area at the top of the screen with a small clear slot for the sensor. I don't know if the S16 has the rain sensor but if it hasn't the screen should be a bit cheaper.
    The moulding that they say might need replacing is separate to the seal (as I found out today), so the seal can pretty much always be reused but the moulding needs to be replaced. The moulding runs across the top under the seal.
    Anyway they came to replace the screen but the new one was scratched so I have to wait until tomorrow.

  9. #9
    Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Parkes - N.S.W - Australia - Earth
    Posts
    12,266

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cookie
    The only reason I can see for the added cost of the GTi6 screen is the provision for the rain sensor for the auto wipers. This is really only a larger blacked out area at the top of the screen with a small clear slot for the sensor. I don't know if the S16 has the rain sensor but if it hasn't the screen should be a bit cheaper.
    The moulding that they say might need replacing is separate to the seal (as I found out today), so the seal can pretty much always be reused but the moulding needs to be replaced. The moulding runs across the top under the seal.
    Anyway they came to replace the screen but the new one was scratched so I have to wait until tomorrow.

    actually the sceens without the black for the sensor are more expensive then the ones with for windscreen places to buy as trade would you believe
    3 x '78 604 SL

    1 x 2018 3008

    1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

    1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

    1 x secret project

    1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

    1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

    1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

  10. #10
    Member Cookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    31

    Default

    I don't know who sets the pricing for things like these but I would love to delve into their brain patterns.
    I looked at the new screen and am almost certain I read "Pilkington Glass". Dunno if it's an Aussie company or what.

  11. #11
    who? when? huh? GTI124's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Gordon, NSW
    Posts
    4,527

    Default

    Pilkington is as UK based copmany with operations in Australia. However, the moulds for the GTi6 screen are probably in the UK...

  12. #12
    Member Cookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    31

    Default

    That makes sense. The screen is still imported and hence the price.
    I guess compremises have to be made to own this type of car.

  13. #13
    Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Parkes - N.S.W - Australia - Earth
    Posts
    12,266

    Default

    and yet i still only paid $300 fitted for mine and thats out here in the bush
    3 x '78 604 SL

    1 x 2018 3008

    1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

    1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

    1 x secret project

    1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

    1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

    1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    102

    Default

    Must be the rain sensor that makes the difference, cause I rang Novus Windscreens for a quote for my S16 and they quoted $195 fitted. Dunno if that includes replacing the mould, I suspect not.

    Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    and yet i still only paid $300 fitted for mine and thats out here in the bush

  15. #15
    Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Parkes - N.S.W - Australia - Earth
    Posts
    12,266

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pugrat
    Must be the rain sensor that makes the difference, cause I rang Novus Windscreens for a quote for my S16 and they quoted $195 fitted. Dunno if that includes replacing the mould, I suspect not.

    how long ago was that ?
    prices seem to have gone wacko in the last 12 months with screens

    BTW i was quoted $390 without rain sensor from the same bloke that did mine with rain sensor for $300 work that one out
    3 x '78 604 SL

    1 x 2018 3008

    1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

    1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

    1 x secret project

    1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

    1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

    1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

  16. #16
    1000+ Posts kermit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Inner city, Brisbane
    Posts
    2,335

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    how long ago was that ?
    prices seem to have gone wacko in the last 12 months with screens

    BTW i was quoted $390 without rain sensor from the same bloke that did mine with rain sensor for $300 work that one out :confused:
    My mum recently got her Cooper screen replaced with a genuine BMW/Mini one and the screen was less than $300.

    It is advisable to replace any moldings that get pulled off as the originals usually never fit properly when replaced.
    Cheers Simon
    >8-]

    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

    Polo Green '01 406 Coupe (5spd Man)
    Tuscany Green '00 206 GTi (Croaked!)

    My Flickr Photos

    206gti.net
    peugeot-206gti
    peugeot-307
    peugeot-407
    peugeotclub.asn.au

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •