Buyers Guide 2002 206 GTi
  • Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    mlb
    mlb is offline
    Voted Most Popular mlb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Devonport, Tasmania
    Posts
    1,103

    Default Buyers Guide 2002 206 GTi

    Hi Guys,

    I'm looking at getting another car for work and am serious considering a 206. There's a 2002 GTI for sale locally for under $7,000 that looks like it'll do the job nicely, with 126,000 on the clock.

    With these cars now getting on a bit, is there anything I need to keep an eye on. Obviously I'll make sure the timing belt has been done - is it 100,000 or 80,000 kms with these now? I forget...

    I'm planning on taking it for a run today just to check it out, but any assistance on potential problems would be greatly appreciated.

    Advertisement


    Thanks

    Matt
    Fight for your opinions, but do not believe that they contain the whole truth, or the only truth.

  2. #2
    Contented Peugeot Driver addo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Don't remind me!
    Posts
    16,609

    Default

    Gti180?

  3. #3
    mlb
    mlb is offline
    Voted Most Popular mlb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Devonport, Tasmania
    Posts
    1,103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    Gti180?
    I don't think so addo, just a normal old GTi. Will have more details today hopefully
    Fight for your opinions, but do not believe that they contain the whole truth, or the only truth.

  4. #4
    mlb
    mlb is offline
    Voted Most Popular mlb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Devonport, Tasmania
    Posts
    1,103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    Gti180?
    I don't think so addo, just a normal old GTi. Will have more details today hopefully
    Fight for your opinions, but do not believe that they contain the whole truth, or the only truth.

  5. #5
    1000+ Posts driven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,493

    Default

    Based on my daughter's 206GTi
    The door locking mechanism will fail, cheap fix
    The seat slide and tilt will fail, cheapish
    The air cond will fail, medium expensive,
    The auto heating / cooling will fail, disaster pull out all dashboard
    The centre dashboard display will stop working
    Clearcoat is not great on some of them leading to base coat discolor

    Reckon about $3500 max for those km's and age

    Car gets a bit soft in the body as they age, recommend you get a Holden Astra for that money

  6. #6
    Contented Peugeot Driver addo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Don't remind me!
    Posts
    16,609

    Default

    What went wrong with your aircon? The 206 A/C I sorted for a car yard, retail on the fix would have been probably a thou with gas, vac down and wiring repairs. It had lost the ability to pull in the compressor clutch due to burning out a small circuit component in the BSI.

    If it's not a 180, it has rear beam shafts to wear.

    Planet/Diagbox is getting so cheap now (pirate versions), it should be acquired at time of purchase to economise on repair.

  7. #7
    1000+ Posts cav91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Romsey, VIC
    Posts
    2,337

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by driven View Post
    Based on my daughter's 206GTi
    The door locking mechanism will fail, cheap fix
    The seat slide and tilt will fail, cheapish
    The air cond will fail, medium expensive,
    The auto heating / cooling will fail, disaster pull out all dashboard
    The centre dashboard display will stop working
    Clearcoat is not great on some of them leading to base coat discolor

    Reckon about $3500 max for those km's and age

    Car gets a bit soft in the body as they age, recommend you get a Holden Astra for that money
    Why would anyone recommend an astra over a gti? My girlfriend owned an astra of the same vintage and has now sold it because it was getting too expensive to maintain. I've owned a 206 gti 2001 model and it was fantastic so much better to drive and heaps more fun than the astra. I'd pick it any day. The 206 was even cheaper for parts! Now I Dont think the 206 gti is the best car buy no means (that's Why I drive the 406) but it's certainly better than an astra. Personally I'd prefer a Clio sport!

    Via the aussiefrogs App
    2011 Renault Koleos manual petrol, yes it's boring, but not as boring as:
    2017 Renault Koleos auto

  8. #8
    1000+ Posts lion5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    sydney
    Posts
    1,675

    Default

    i have a 2002 206 gti, air con is perfect. But yeah my seat is buggered completely.

    Only thing to keep mind of is that you'll hear a rattley sound during throttle - that's a common problem on the 2.0s it doesn't affect performance anything, just a superficial issue. Only thing though is I dont know if I could tell the difference between the exhaust manifold rattle and an actual bad CAT. maybe someone here would know. But a bad cat and loose heatshield sound the same as well so who the hell knows.

  9. #9
    sans witticism SLC206's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    North Parramatta
    Posts
    3,997

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    If it's not a 180, it has rear beam shafts to wear.
    Do the extra diagonal braces prevent the rear beam from failing on the 180?
    Regards,

    Simon

    2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

    www.peugeotclub.asn.au

  10. #10
    Tadpole
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    6

    Default

    I've just bought a MY1.5 206 GTI 138 for $4k - 140,000KM. Runs ok so far, but I've had to get the rear muffler changed as it was pretty much burnt through ($400), new battery ($160), and I'm still chasing an O2 sensor error code ($?) & aircon re-gass (quoted $189).

    Timing belts should've been done every 80,000, but check the service history (if there is one) and see how it's been tracking. Try to make sure that a new water pump has been put in also - this is *hopefully* done at the timing belt service out of convenience/access.

    The one I bought had lower control arms (front suspension), engine mounts, water pump & timing belt replaced at ~120-130,000 (read 'expensive service'), and a new clutch ~ the same time. The control arms failures are (from other forum posts) quite common around this time.

    I'm no car expert but probably don't pay $7k for it, I wouldn't step over 4k5 or 5k for something over 10 years old. Stuff is bound to break on an older car, so the higher your initial investment, the more sense it makes just to buy a newer one. The way I thought about buying mine was $4k capital, and expect to put in about #1k-1k5 more making for a ~5k driveable car.

    Hope that helps!

  11. #11
    mlb
    mlb is offline
    Voted Most Popular mlb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Devonport, Tasmania
    Posts
    1,103

    Default

    Thanks guys, certainly some food for thought. Sounds like the normal things you can expect from a car that age. I'm just looking at getting rid of my '05 Liberty that's done nearly 300,000kms and is starting to show a few signs of wear. Driving 200kms along highways most days is starting to add up fuel wise. So I'm wanting to reduce fuel consumption a bit, and hopefully with something just a bit smaller.

    I'm not looking at spending too much as the car will get a lot of use and will become a high mileage car pretty quickly. Having said that it needs to be comfortable and a reasonably enjoyable car to drive. So the GTi may fir the bill.

    Having said that there's also a '02 206 XR manual for under $5,000 with 160,000 kms on the clock, but I think it may just be a bit too gutless for highway driving.

    Matt
    Fight for your opinions, but do not believe that they contain the whole truth, or the only truth.

  12. #12
    1000+ Posts cav91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Romsey, VIC
    Posts
    2,337

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mlb View Post
    Thanks guys, certainly some food for thought. Sounds like the normal things you can expect from a car that age. I'm just looking at getting rid of my '05 Liberty that's done nearly 300,000kms and is starting to show a few signs of wear. Driving 200kms along highways most days is starting to add up fuel wise. So I'm wanting to reduce fuel consumption a bit, and hopefully with something just a bit smaller.

    I'm not looking at spending too much as the car will get a lot of use and will become a high mileage car pretty quickly. Having said that it needs to be comfortable and a reasonably enjoyable car to drive. So the GTi may fir the bill.

    Having said that there's also a '02 206 XR manual for under $5,000 with 160,000 kms on the clock, but I think it may just be a bit too gutless for highway driving.

    Matt
    Here's something to note the 1.6 206 xr has 110 horse power while the gti has 138 so there's not that much in it. I've also has an xr manual and to be honest prefered it for the high way cruise. If I drove it really nice I could get the average down to under 6 liters to the hundred. However you get a more fun car in the gti. Better suspension (firmer) better seats etc.

    Via the aussiefrogs App
    2011 Renault Koleos manual petrol, yes it's boring, but not as boring as:
    2017 Renault Koleos auto

  13. #13
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    187

    Default

    When looking for a car I was looking at Astra's and 306s. Got a 306 and that was a great decision purely based on driving pleasure!

    Fiancee has a 206cc with the same 2l engine as the Gti and she has had it since new. Seat rail mechanism has gone once, rattle from the exhaust manifold pipes has been welded up, clutch has been changed once, both lower control arms have been replaced but thats about it. Not bad for an 11 yr old car!
    1998 N5 306 XSi

  14. #14
    mlb
    mlb is offline
    Voted Most Popular mlb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Devonport, Tasmania
    Posts
    1,103

    Default

    Thanks for the tips guys.

    Just out of interest what fuel economy are people getting from the GTi on the highway?

    I'm yet to check it out, work's got me a busy. Maybe this weekend.

    Maybe...
    Fight for your opinions, but do not believe that they contain the whole truth, or the only truth.

  15. #15
    Abs
    Abs is offline
    Tadpole
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Melbourne, VIC
    Posts
    7

    Default

    I've got an 03 GTi. It's more go cart than grand tourer so might not be best for the highway runs. No cruise control is a bit annoying.

    I've had mine from 140k to 210k and has needed air con service, door lock, comms 2000 unit, centre muffler and control arms (plus standard consumables).

    My driving is a good mix and best economy has been 6.9L/100km. The instantaneous readout on the freeway hovers around 4-5 L/100km.

    I agree with jamesfox. Don't pay $7k. Even if it's amazing.

  16. #16
    sans witticism SLC206's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    North Parramatta
    Posts
    3,997

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mlb View Post
    Thanks for the tips guys.

    Just out of interest what fuel economy are people getting from the GTi on the highway?
    The "later" version brochure lists the fuel economy as 8.0l/100km city and 5.6l/100km hwy. Back then there was no requirement for a combined figure.

    I had the earlier (2000) model which was listed as 8.9l/100km city and 5.9l/100km hwy. I used to get around 7.2l/100km in what could only be described as combined travel. I used to do 25k km a year in it and not that much of it was pure city driving.

    I think it's a great touring car for two people, though the absence of cruise control is annoying, yes.
    Regards,

    Simon

    2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

    www.peugeotclub.asn.au

  17. #17
    mlb
    mlb is offline
    Voted Most Popular mlb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Devonport, Tasmania
    Posts
    1,103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SLC206 View Post
    The "later" version brochure lists the fuel economy as 8.0l/100km city and 5.6l/100km hwy. Back then there was no requirement for a combined figure.

    I had the earlier (2000) model which was listed as 8.9l/100km city and 5.9l/100km hwy. I used to get around 7.2l/100km in what could only be described as combined travel. I used to do 25k km a year in it and not that much of it was pure city driving.

    I think it's a great touring car for two people, though the absence of cruise control is annoying, yes.
    Thanks Simon,

    That's a bit better than what I'm currently getting, so that's something.

    The car looks pretty tidy upon closer inspection tonight - although I agree not $7,000 worth.

    I did also notice they had a 2005 Ford Fiesta Zetec with about the same amount of kms on the clock for $1,000 more. It's sacrilege I know, but it may be a better option. Not a fan of the lack of cruise control though....
    Fight for your opinions, but do not believe that they contain the whole truth, or the only truth.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •