Auto Wipers Behaviour
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Meggsy

Thread: Auto Wipers Behaviour

Default Auto Wipers Behaviour

Had my windscreen replaced recently and now th auto wipers behave differently. They tend to be overly sensitive, reluctant to go in to intermittent mode and won't go on to fast wipe at all, in aust mode. They will go in to fast mode manually, so there's no problem with the motor,

Any ideas out there?

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

It's got to be the fault of the windscreen installers. Unless you put it in, take it back to them and tell them to fix it!
    1998 Peugeot 406 D8SV Manual
    1999 Peugeot 406 D8ST Auto
    2002 Peugeot 406 D9SV Manual
    1994 Peuegot 306 N3 Cabriolet Manual
    1994 Peugeot 306 XR N3 Hatch
    1995 Peugeot 505 GTI executive
    1976 Peugeot 504 Sedan - Now sold

Over 60 Pugs in my time
    Gerry Mullock

This was an insurance job. Probably need to contact the insurance company first.

I hate even the default behaviour of auto wiping. Back when I drove my mums old 98 commodore, it had 3 settings. Slow, Medium, and Fast. Each were perfect. When it was pissing down i'd do fast, when it was trickling, i'd do slow. It was perfect and simple.

But on my 206 it's just frustrating, I set it to the first click, and it just wipes whenever it wants to, and frustrates me because the randomness makes me anxious I need rhythm god damnit. If I decide to drive faster it wipes faster, if I drive slower then it wipes slower. If I could I'd disable it, but I couldn't find an option in pp2000.

Hi
    What model; do you have some of the early cars fitted with an athermic windscreen did not work with after market screens. I actually had a problem with mine because there were fingerprints left on the sensor units lens took them a new windscreen to find out --- some one happened to look at the sensor before it was put back --- ie they followed the installation instructions ) so Id take it back to the installer and if no luck contact the insurance company.
    505604 likes this.
    Meggsy
    Current - 4007HDi
    Had - 407 HDI 406 SV 404, 504, 505 GR and STI. 405 GR ( carbie version) STI, MI16
    And an Austin 1800
    Learnt to drive in 203 Convertible and a 403 SW

It's a 2003 model. It is an aftermarket screen, tinted but I don't think it's athermic. Going to contact the insurance company. I agree a bit with lion5. The auto works most of the time, but an intermittent setting would be nice.

I have just done a search and it appears that non-genuine windscreens are causing lots of problems with not only euro cars but Hondas and Lexus also most significantly after windscreen changes ... I have had my 4007 windscreen replaced with a non-genuine one and it works well --- even seems better than the original Mitsubishi one
    Meggsy
    Current - 4007HDi
    Had - 407 HDI 406 SV 404, 504, 505 GR and STI. 405 GR ( carbie version) STI, MI16
    And an Austin 1800

Hi Did you get your wipers working properly ????
    Meggsy
    Current - 4007HDi
    And an Austin 1800

Quote Originally Posted by Meggsy View Post
    Hi Did you get your wipers working properly ????
    Sort of. I removed the sensor and cleaned it, but it hasn't rained properly since, so I'm not sure if it's a fix. They now go at full speed if I spray the windscreen with high volume hose.

Fellow Frogger!

The auto wipers on my 607 have never worked properly unless the windscreen is regularly treated with rain-X

I thought the whole idea of Rain-X was the need not to use your wipers?
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Interestingly I changed the wipers blades on my C4 with cheaper eBay sourced blades from the UK. I didn't realise they were for a LHD car so they were blowing off contact with the screen as upside down. I swapped them over then they banged at the top as the longer one was on the wrong side. The whole time the auto wipe was always in over kill either way. Then I pushed out the metal pin & turned over the clip fitting into the arm so now they are RHD correct. Since then the auto had been perfect, maybe better than previously.
    Citroen C5 II manual '05; C4 Exculsive '07; Citroen CX2200 Pallas '76; CX2400 C-matic Pallas '78

Thread Information