1.9litre Mi16 INSTRUMENT CLUSTER LIGHTING
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By LeRob

Thread: 1.9litre Mi16 INSTRUMENT CLUSTER LIGHTING

Default 1.9litre Mi16 INSTRUMENT CLUSTER LIGHTING

Mes Amis,

My instrument cluster lights started flickering a few months back. Then, last month, they'd go off for a time then come back on. When off, they seemed to be re-ignited when hitting a bump. Unfortunately, despite our appalling tracks called roads, they went off & haven't come back on despite how many potholes I try to avoid but hit

Advertisement

Fuse is OK. Switch is OK as parkers come on & headlights can be turned on as can high beam.

So, with the cluster & surrounds out, I've checked the tiny globes for lighting the ignition & warning lights etc, but I'm not sure HOW the tacho, speedo & associated gauge lights are illuminated. Are they "back-lit"? From what, how?

With the erratic behaviour, I'm thinking that maybe there's a loose wire or connection somewhere.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated as, despite all those "road users" we see driving from dusk to night without ANY lights on, we DRIVERS know it's not very safe driving at night without lighting, even instrument lighting.

Merci buckets in anticipation of your help.

Has a wire come off the dimmer switch? well not come off but not making good contact

Via the aussiefrogs App
    2011 Renault Koleos manual petrol, yes it's boring, but not as boring as:
    2017 Renault Koleos auto

Fellow Frogger!

Assuming same setup as BX 16valve, check the rheostat under the steering column enclosure first. Hard to believe that all the lights would die at once.

The instrument cluster is all back-lit, but the bulbs do not all illuminate what is directly in front of them - the innards of the cluster is a bit of a rabbit warren WRT lighting paths, the best way to check which light does what is to remove the bulb and shine a light of some kind through the hole.

I've got a diagram in a notebook somewhere that shows which light does what that I've been meaning to adapt into a jpeg and share, but haven't got around to it. If you're stuck after trying the above then let me know and I'll try and dig it up.

Replaced all the lights with LED's a while back and they work much better, only you lose the dimming function. Given the mildly painful process of removing the cluster I would suggest doing it next time it's out, with some $0.10ea LED's from ebay.
    renard argente likes this.
    '92 BX 16Valve (Bathurst 12 Hr edition)
    '93 BX 16Valve (Bathurst 12 Hr edition)
    '01 406 Coupe 3.0L V6 Manual

My bx16v has the same issue and the backlight has been dead since I purchased the car. I haven't had time to check it out, but it is a common issue.

Note: Somebody on the forum had multiple bulbs blow at once when working under the instrument panel without blowing a fuse.

Many Thanks for all your prompt responses. I now have 3 wet days to work on my errant lights using your suggestions.

May you all enjoy a safe long week-end.

Well, I FINALLY got, not only the instrument lights working, BUT, the blower fan!! At last, the ability to blow air - hot or cold - through the cabin.

Thanks again LeRob & cav91. The rheostat was the culprit. Pity I didn't put my call for help out BEFORE I pulled the dash & cluster apart.

Thread Information