best oil for XN engine?
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    nJm

best oil for XN engine?

Time for an oil change, and after filtering through all the previous posts here, I could only find information about gearbox oil (think that one has been done to death ).

I was just wondering if there is one type of oil any 504/505 owners recommend for the XN1?

Cheers,
    Nick

Advertisement
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

Fellow Frogger!
    I was just wondering if there is one type of oil any 504/505 owners recommend for the XN1?
    [/QB]
    Mobil Synth S. This is a semi synthetic oil which retails for about $28 and provides much the same benefit as Mobil 1 (smooth running, etc) but is about half the price and is twice the thickness (10 grade as opposed to 5).

I can't speak highly enough of Mobil Synth S. My XN1 just runs so nice with this oil. My father has found a similar benefit in his 203.

Dave

nJm
    So, is it ok to mix Synth with mineral oil?

I've been told Castrol Magnatec is good as well.

It's just I don't have time to change the oil until next week or so, although I'm going on a long drive on the weekend, so I want to top it up.
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

Nick,

I'd stick with Dave's advice on semi-synthetic.
    I've used it on CXs with great results, used it on my 16V but was a bit iffy in the multi-valve environment about it. There is no reason why synth and mineral can't be mixed if you need to top up.
    Be a bit wary on Magnatec; a few of the guys over in UK used it on BXs and noted their cars did a few strange things afterwards. I'm not talking about someone posting and a few jumping on the bandwagon but a few postings from different people over a couple of years. I treat oil like Magnatec in the same way as I treat oil additives, with great caution possibly because to me that's all that magnatec probably is; oil with additive.
    I'll get all evangelical now and suggest as I usually do when these questions are asked to throw an eye over this site & draw your own conclusions.

<a href="http://www.fernblatt.com/longhurst/engineoil_bible.html" target="_blank">http://www.fernblatt.com/longhurst/engineoil_bible.html</a>

Or check out Gabor Deak Jahn's site for his opinion. Gabor incidentally is an engineer and writes most of his stuff in conjunction with another guy we know as "Z" - if I spelt his name you'd probably never pronounce it in English but he is also extremely well versed on these subjects also.

<a href="http://www.tramontana.co.hu/citroen/engine/engine.html#SyntheticOil" target="_blank">http://www.tramontana.co.hu/citroen/engine/engine.html#SyntheticOil</a>

Hope that helps.

Alan S wink
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

nJm
    Thanks Alan,

those sites were helpful. I'll go with Mobile Synth S.

Cheers
    Nick
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

Does anyone have experience with the semi-synthetic Total 7000?

How are these French oils anyway?

Cheers,

Justin

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

nJm
    Dave,

is Mobile Super S the same as Synth S? It appears to be semi synth.
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

Pug307:
    Does anyone have experience with the semi-synthetic Total 7000?

How are these French oils anyway?

Cheers,

Justin
    Justin,

I can't speak for the Peugeot range but the Citroens have always recommended Total Oils.
    I had access to a bit a couple of years ago & found it both cheap and good.
    The reason the price of Total is lower than say Mobil, Shell or Caltex is that they don't have an official presence in Australia and we have distributorships dealing directly with the Total parent company so there's a few middlemen cut out.
    I understand also that Total do a lot of R & D in conjunction with Citroen which probably explains the Total corporate colours and logos all over the Citroen WRCs.
    As Cit & Pugs are now basically all poured out the one tap, I think it would be fair to assume that they would be a Pug recommendation too.

Alan S

Alan,

Thanks for that. If you want some Total oil, it's only $28 from a Pug dealer (Cit dealers probably have some as well I'd guess).

I got my oil from Hamilton, which is a pretty rural place, so if there are Pugs there, the oil's there too.

We've got the ESSO/TOTAL sticker in the engine bay. I was just wondering whether it was good - you know, sometimes manufacturers recommend things, but there's better available

Cheers,

Justin

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

[quote/]
    "a pretty rural place"
    Justin,

The reason it is more available in rural rather than metropolitan areas is that they put out a fantastic range of agricultural and industrial lubricants that have a big reputation amongst the farming community.
    Our ability to be able to access the car lubricants is a by product of dealers buying it in to satisfy the "cockeys"
    whip The place I bought it from was a "Fruit growers co-op."

Alan S

Fellow Frogger!
    I use Valvoline "Durablend" in all my cars it's widely avalable and 15-50 SAE some of the thinner oils tend to bring on, or make existing oil seepage/leaks worse. Concur semi syntetics are the way to go as far as superior protection and value for money goes ( can chage twice as often as full syntetics for the same price wink . Durablend sells for about $25 for 5 Litres. Although thinner oils may be better in colder winters down south. :p
    Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten!

Of course I swear by Cadillac oils... which are made on a paraffinic base stock with maximum additive packages. Good gear, available at Plainlands...

I used Valvoline Durablend for my first oil change a while back, it seemed strange that the ZDJL engine drank 5.5L to reach the MAX mark on the dipstick instead of the specified 5L, but anyway...

I noticed a bit of blue smoke during cold starts, but I haven't seen that recently. I think the 15-50 rating is thin enough as these engines are getting on a bit and anything thinner, like Rick said could bring about oil leakage problems.

Richard
    - Richard

Now: 405 SRI D70 '93
    - 2.0L manual
    Earlier: 505 GTi Executive '85
    - hence "Silver Exec"...
    25 GTX '86
    - manual conversion

I've been using Castrol Magnatec in my Renault 16 and Peugeot 504 (XN1) for quite a while now. First thing I noticed after changing from BP Course Plus to Magnatec is free-er reving, easier coasting, better fuel economy, quieter running and easier cold starts. If it sounds too good to be true, give it a try.

I have no way to check overall engine wear since I put the Magnatec in the Pug, but one clue is this:
    I adjusted the tappet clearances at 147,000 km, and checked them again the other day at 158,000 km and found no measurable change in clearances. The engine was redlined many times over that period.

I havn't checked the tappets in the Renault since changing to Magnatec, but havn't had any mechanical problems, despite regularly redlining, and going over well over 6000 RPM on several ocasions.

Also, Magnatec's viscosity rating is 10W/40 which is the rating recommended for the XN1 in the Peugeot 504 Haynes manual. It's important to use the viscosity recommended by the car manufacturer for several reasons. There is a myth going around that 'thicker is better': This is not the case unless your engine is worn out.
    2004 Clio Expression Verve 4sp auto -
    1984 Fuego GTX 5 speed (now a write off) -
    1976 504 GL auto (sold)

French cars, Australian wine.

frogs4ever:

I adjusted the tappet clearances at 147,000 km, and checked them again the other day at 158,000 km and found no measurable change in clearances. The engine was redlined many times over that period.
    That's pretty normal for these engines, whatever the engine oil used. I take mine to over 6000rpm all the time and have gone many kms further than that without experiencing any change in tappet clearances. In fact I've found they've very rarely needed adjusting at all.

As for the other benefits you mention, I've experienced much the same with semi-synthetic Mobil oil.

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

davemcbean:

That's pretty normal for these engines, whatever the engine oil used. I take mine to over 6000rpm all the time and have gone many kms further than that without experiencing any change in tappet clearances. In fact I've found they've very rarely needed adjusting at all.
    That's reassuring to know. I'm new to Peugeots so I'm not yet sure about how much punishment they can take. I've been around Renaults for years and can assure the uninitiated that their engines and drivetrains can take A LOT of hard work and maltreatment, if you are that way inclined.
    davemcbean:

As for the other benefits you mention, I've experienced much the same with semi-synthetic Mobil oil.
    Which Mobil oil are you referring to?

<small>[ 19 January 2003, 11:32 PM: Message edited by: frogs4ever ]</small>
    2004 Clio Expression Verve 4sp auto -
    1984 Fuego GTX 5 speed (now a write off) -
    1976 504 GL auto (sold)

French cars, Australian wine.

frogs4ever:
    Which Mobil oil are you referring to?
    Mobil Synth S
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

I'll still stick to the Cadillac oils...

And though I don't cane my car, when it needs to be whipped, it will be whipped.

Peugeots can take plenty!

nJm
    Yes, I found out the other day when I demonstrated to Pug307 what my car sounds like at 7000rpm....

not bad for a 21 year old engine!
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

frogs4ever:
    I've been using Castrol Magnatec in my Renault 16 and Peugeot 504 (XN1) for quite a while now. .
    Yes I use Castrol Magnatec too. Readily available and though not cheap its a reasonable price at KMart (compared at least to some of the exotics).

Haven't had to add a drop to the 250,000 k plus XN6 engine in the sLi between changes, despite a lot of fairly high speed country driving, interspersed with city stuff.

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 4008 2016Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, (deadish), - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 406 ST 1997, 307 XSE, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

nJm
    Now that the Magna's going we've got about 4.5 litres of unused Castrol GTX3 15w40 mineral oil. Would it be ok to use it in the 505? Now that its getting colder a slightly thinner oil could be good (currently have 20w50), as I have to do lots of short runs. Any good, or should I just buy some semisynth like everyone said before?

cheers
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

I would think the GTX3 would be fine, Nick, unless you have marginal oil leaks or high consumption for some other reason (in which case synthetics etc would be wasted anyway too). If it was me I'd use it up.

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 4008 2016Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, (deadish), - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 406 ST 1997, 307 XSE, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

nJm
    It has two very minor oil leaks - and when I say minor I mean the dipstick level doesn't change over a 5000km period. One from the rocker cover and one from the timing chain. Fairly normal I think .
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    it's oil that i personally would use in a g/box
    i'm a semi synth or fully synth oil person for engines
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Fellow Frogger!
    I use Mobil 1 15W50 in my 404 C and 405.

It's "only" $6.50 CDN (what, $8 AUS?) per litre here in Canada, and in the 405 I take the car up to 12,000 km before changing it.

In fact, the Purflux oil filters I use often fail before I change the oil. By fail, I mean the anti-flowback device stops working and I have to screw a new canister on between changes once in a while to stop oil pressure delay upon cold starts.

The 405 has 293,000 km on it and I'm pretty sure she'll top 400,000. I whip this engine very hard too, in mountain driving. In fact we just got back from a trip to the Interior of British Columbia and she was pulling 180-190 km/h in the mountains on the motorway (downhill) and about 150 uphill, four up and loaded to the hilt.
    -Mike
    1966 404 Coupé KF2
    1989 405 DL
    2005 smart fortwo cdi cabrio

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information