Speeding
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Speeding

Tadpole

Default Speeding

Very intersted to know what your country is like for speeding, in the UK we have loads of speed camera, and i'v heared u do as well. Am intersted to know is speeding a serious offence in oz and what are the penalties like etc?

Advertisement

Tadpole

Id love to say to you that we can do whatever speed we like out here.. but alas we cannot.

Camera's are everywhere... main arterial roads , outside schools , street corners etc... all out to earn the local bobbies as much loot as they can get there hands on. They tell us all that its to make us slow down , but there is many cases that id argue there point.

It is a serious offence too , they fine you alot . Having not had a fine for a long time i couldnt accurately tell you the costs , but its high. Well into the hundreds for 15km over the limit. This gets well into the 200's if your higher still....There are points attatched to the fines as well. Loose more then 12 of those , and your a car passenger rather then the driver from there on in.

Hope this helps some....

Phil

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by TestySpice
    Id love to say to you that we can do whatever speed we like out here.. but alas we cannot.

Camera's are everywhere... main arterial roads , outside schools , street corners etc... all out to earn the local bobbies as much loot as they can get there hands on. They tell us all that its to make us slow down , but there is many cases that id argue there point.

It is a serious offence too , they fine you alot . Having not had a fine for a long time i couldnt accurately tell you the costs , but its high. Well into the hundreds for 15km over the limit. This gets well into the 200's if your higher still....There are points attatched to the fines as well. Loose more then 12 of those , and your a car passenger rather then the driver from there on in.

Hope this helps some....

Phil
    Intersting, what are your motorway speed limits like there, in the uk 70 mph (112kph) on motorway and there very striked if your court, me and alot of people I know drive aroung 85mph (137kph) and a maximum of 95 mph (153kph). 160 kph or over and your baned for a while. How about you?

rek

Here in Victoria, the land of the speed camera:

Residential streets 50kph
    Minor roads 60/70kph
    Major roads 80kph
    Freeways 100kph

There is a 3km speed camera tolerance. 103kph in a 100 zone will get you a letter in the mail.

Fixed speed cameras and red-light cameras are signposted. They also do cool things like report that fully loaded semi-trailers do 160+kph through a tunnel in peak hour traffic. They aren't acting on the fines from these cameras.. at least until they've finished testing them again. Mobile speed cameras are operated covertly. Tailgating, inattentive driving and other dangerous behaviour still runs free and wild.

I've never had a speeding fine but I think they start at $165 or so. We have a demerit point system in place too, accumulate more than 12 points in 3 years and you're out on your arse for 6 months.

(AFAIK) Speed camera operations are no longer an arm of the police, but are a privately contracted division of the transport authority.
    Peter
    2008 Saab 9-3 1.9 TiD Sportcombi
    2011 Volvo C30 DRIVe 1.6D

XTC

Depends on which state ... 30kph over the limit nets you a licence suspension in some states ... 40kph over you could be charged with wreckless driving, makes it a criminal offence and not just a traffic violation.

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

[QUOTE=rek]Here in Victoria, the land of the speed camera:

Residential streets 50kph
    Minor roads 60/70kph
    Major roads 80kph
    Freeways 100kph

not to mention the new school safety zones of 40km/h..
    and most highways/motorways our of the metro area are 110km/h
    boy that's slow.....

Last I heard (about 6 months ago) the fines were:
    up to 10kmh over: $125 and 1 point
    10-25kmh over: $200 and 3 points
    over 25kmh can do you for 3-6months depending on your history.
    (I believe there's also an "easy" option of good behaviour for 12 months instead of an immediate suspension, and if you break that, it's double the suspension period of what you would have got)

But indeed Victoria is the land of fixed speed camera's. I have a list of the new and proposed fixed speed and/or red light cameras around Melbourne Metro. If anyone wants it, i've popped a copy here:
    http://www.peteandnga.id.au/speedcameras.jpg

Might not be the most current though.

Happy speeding...

Fine in NSW is $127 for 0-15km/h over. I believe it's around $180-$195 for 15-30km/h over.

30-45km/h over, I'm not sure. Might even be a short suspension these days (3 months?).
    45km/h+ over the limit is definitely a suspension (3 or 6 months).

Additionally, 130-140km/h in a 110km/h zone will see you walking for 1 month.
    Care factor = -273.15șC

Fellow Frogger!

Hi road hog,
    It's far, far worse in Australia! I moved here from UK just over a year ago and still can't believe how restrictive driving is here. There are lots of good things about Australia but road rules, speed limits etc. are the very worst thing about living here. Compared to the UK it is worse because:
    1. Although the max limits for a type of road are similar to the UK (e.g. 70mph on motorway about the same as 110kph here) they put lower limits on any interesting twisty bit of road instead of leaving you to make your own judgement.
    2. Less tolerance. In the UK they give you 10%+2 mph over before they book you. Here as little as 3kph over the limit and you can be done.
    3. Less roads. The UK has so many little back roads from 100s of years that you can usually find a quiet road away from it all. Here far fewer roads so less chance to get away from traffic etc.
    4. The amount over the limit before a ban is far lower here.
    5. And just to be really nasty, over every public holiday weekend they have a purge where you get double the normal points on your licence for an offence.

I know there are lots of cameras etc in the UK and it is getting worse, but it's already got worse here.

Cheers, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by 106 Rallye
    1. Although the max limits for a type of road are similar to the UK (e.g. 70mph on motorway about the same as 110kph here) they put lower limits on any interesting twisty bit of road instead of leaving you to make your own judgement.

Cheers, Jon
    Jon,

Move to Melb where we have the great ocean road and many lovely curvy roads in the yarra ranges where you can drive to the limit (100kmh) ... as long as there are no camrys or caravans in front of you that is

Luan
    Then - 2001 206 Gti
    Now - 2000 306 Gti6
    Now - 1974 GS 1220 Club

Quote Originally Posted by road hog
    Very intersted to know what your country is like for speeding, in the UK we have loads of speed camera, and i'v heared u do as well. Am intersted to know is speeding a serious offence in oz and what are the penalties like etc?
    Nothing like the treatment that the UK metes out to our Froggy Pom cousins...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/28/35014.html

Cheers,
    John Lane.

The Northern Territory is the only place in Australia these days where there is no open road speed limit, although I think this only applies to roads a certain distance from Darwin & Katherine...can anyone correct me on this or provide more info?

Also, as I've mentioned in another post, a member of an opposition party (Victoria, I think) stated a week or two ago that if they were elected they would reinstate the 10% leeway on the speed limit before they did you. Again, can anyone clarify this?
    Ben.
    _ _________________ _
    A very fun 1997 manual 406 ST
    A lovely 2006 407 HDi Executive

Fellow Frogger!

Default FYI

British Columbia, Canada:

in town: 50 km/h generally, sometimes 60
    normal highway: 90 or 100 km/h (2 lane, some 4 lane)
    freeway: 110 km/h on Vancouver Island and on the Coquihalla Highway and Okanagan Connector.

The tolerance is about 9 km/h on lower speed limits and 19 km/h in 110 zones.

Speed cameras (manned and unmanned) are deemed to be an invasion of privacy by our otherwise stupid provincial government (hey, we do have a Charter of Rights here) and are not used for speed enforcement, only for red light runners.

So in effect you can get away with cruising right past a cop at an indicated 130 km/h in a 110 zone, given that most cars' speedometers art you can get away with cruikm/h is perfectly safe. I regularly see the far side of 160 in my poor battered 405 (some moron in a Jeep mashed the side today, cosmetic wrinkling of 3 panels) when it's clear and conditions allow. Usually for a shortish burst. I only sustain 160+ on the Coquihalla Hwy where cops are pretty thin on the ground.

Radar/laser detectors are legal here. I don't have one - no tickets in 13 years...

in NZ they are getting less tolerent, but i still dont really see many cameras around,

i drove from palmerston north up to napier (about 2hrs) on monday and saw 1 camera, which the trusty valentine picked up way before i saw it other than that ,i saw no coppers. and driving home, well, it took me considerably less then 2 hours and i didnt see a single revune gathering point on the way home

but im sure it will get worse here........

just as long as they dont ban radar detectors
    Current:
    09 Volvo XC70
    89 405 Mi16

Past Pugs
    02' 206 GTi
    90' 405 Mi16

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

well coming in from bathurst today into parkes i got pulled up for having my fog lights on and doing 60 in a 50 zone
    the bloke was pretty well cranky but let me off
    it's the first time i have ever been let off
    he was more worried about me having my fog lights on but i said that we had just driven in from bathurst where it was raining and i forgot i had them on
    he asked where i was from and i told him i was from parkes and that seemed to ease his mind a bit
    i really thought i was a goner
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Here in Tasmania the speed limits are as follows;
    School zone 40kmh (about 25mph)
    Residential streets 50kmh (about 30mph)
    Main streets 60kmh (about 37mph)
    Some areas 70kmh (about 42mph)
    Slow down areas and some minor country roads, major roads through the city 80kmh (about 50mph)
    Main country roads 100kmh (about 62mph)
    Freeways 110kmh (about 68mph)

For a couple of ks over the limit there is a $110 fine and a couple of points, the fines go up steeply. 12 points in 3 years and you lose your licence for 3 months. Repeat within 3 years and you lose it for 6 months, again and you lose it for a year.

37kmh over the limit gets you instant disqualification.
    Pugs Rule!

403, now sold
    404, project
    2010 Mitsubishi i MiEV electric car

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

one thing i found wrong the other day was that this bloke told me about the law of having fog lights turned on
    now then i see signs that say be safe, be seen have your lights on in the daytime

now i know that some people don't like certain cars driving around with the fog lights on due to the mis-alignment of them but what about normal headlights on cars that are the same and not forgetting people who turn their headlights on and have them on high beam during the day on the highways

now if i had been booked for having my fog lights on of which are adjusted so that they aren't blinding oncoming traffic i would have fought it

in my opinion i was bieng safe

i have also noticed that by having the fog lights on during the day on a highway i don't get anyone pulling out from side roads in front of me as they do if i have them turned off

now this i have tested the last 3-4 trips io have made from here to bathurst in the last few weeks

i agree they are not needed in towns or built up areas

as for the speeding he said he clocked me at i was still coming into the 50km/h zone and no i don't hit the brakes i just take my foot off the pedal and let the car slow naturally before i get to the zone
    so in this instance i came from an 80 zone to a 50 zone and i had my foot off the gas before the 50 sign and doing 60 not far from the 50 sign

i was just lucky i didn't get a ticket for either or both offences

maybe seeing i had two young children in the car, plus i told him i was a local, the car was dirty from the rain we went through which accounted for my story of having the fogs on in the first place and "had forgotten to turn them off" all worked in my favour

on another note how do people go with their older cars bieng in MPH go with the 3km/h tolerance in Mexico when you think that 60km/h is close to 37mph, add to that speedo error your creep up to 40mph ?
    you are then speeding by 4km/h
    it just goes to show how ridiculous the 3km/h tolerance really is

ok i have had another whinge
    sorry guys lol
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Tadpole

I'd didnt realise you guys had fixed speed cameras over there - we have thousands here in the UK, most of them are placed on open and safe stretches or road so that they can collect maximum revenue off the motorists

People are getting pretty pi$sed off with them now, and many are ending up like this:

1991 205 1.9 GTi Turbo Technics 175bhp

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LookingforMi16
    I believe it's around $180-$195 for 15-30km/h over.
    I found out yesterday My cousin and I drove to Temora in my 306 yesterday to the aviation museum for the airshow. On the way back, I stopped to change drivers. My cousin got in the driver's seat, and off we went. Within minutes, heading down a long hill on the motorway near Yass, a little man in blue shot out of the bushes The fine is $203

Quote Originally Posted by LookingforMi16
    Additionally, 130-140km/h in a 110km/h zone will see you walking for 1 month.
    My cousin was dangerously close to this - 130km/hr exactly. Given it was exactly on it, he didn't lose his licence. At least the police officer involved was understanding. Personally I think it stinks - why were they sitting at the bottom of the hill? If they booked people doing 130 on the flat, I wouldn't complain, but at the bottom of a hill? That's not fair. We'd talked about how careful we had to be of the speed limits when we left Sydney early in the morning too...

My cousin's GF drove from then on, and sat dead on 110. Guess what, almost every car from then on overtook us at a fairly decent amount faster than us too. It's like a lottery - being in the wrong place at the wrong time, cos I'm sure alot of those cars were doing alot more than 130 on the flat ground.

What a wonderful weekend to lose points too. At least he didn't have a speeding fine history so it's not such a big deal regarding loss of points.

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Pete95

People are getting pretty pi$sed off with them now, and many are ending up like this:

That is one of the prettiest pictures I have ever seen!

Bring on the radar-seeking missiles!

Originally posted by 106 Rallye
    Hi road hog,
    It's far, far worse in Australia.....

3. Less roads. The UK has so many little back roads from 100s of years that you can usually find a quiet road away from it all. Here far fewer roads so less chance to get away from traffic etc.....
    What a load of rubbish!

I can show you a load of roads just about anywhere that you can enjoy to the full.

And as for the size of fines, everyone's seen the one that proclaims 'up to $3,300 and loss of licence' haven't they?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete95
    I'd didnt realise you guys had fixed speed cameras over there - we have thousands here in the UK, most of them are placed on open and safe stretches or road so that they can collect maximum revenue off the motorists
    Yeah, it's a shame really that La Peruse hadn't been a few weeks earlier; he would have beaten Cook to the flag raising and we would all be driving froggy cars, talking frog, driving on the correct side of the road (the European side), having a choice of all those lovely LHD cars, having fewer speed cameras, more tolerant police and probably better food. About the only thing that wouldn't have been better would be the wine
    Bruce

Currently owned:
    1988 505 GTi S2 Familial
    1999 E46 BMW 328Ci, 2002 Falcon AUIII Ute
    Previously owned:
    ('78-'81) 1970 504 (with the beautiful French seats)
    ('81-'89) 1977 504 (took the family on postings to Sydney, Melbourne, Perth and Canberra)
    Brother owned:
    203,403,404,504 (each when they were current vehicles)

Originally posted by yawood
    Yeah, it's a shame really that La Perouse hadn't been a few weeks earlier; he would have beaten Cook to the flag raising and we would all be driving froggy cars, talking frog, driving on the correct side of the road (the European side), having a choice of all those lovely LHD cars, having fewer speed cameras, more tolerant police and probably better food. About the only thing that wouldn't have been better would be the wine
    Actually, that's not true...

The fact is that La Perouse was under instruction to not come to our east coast at all... he only came here because he was in trouble, having lost both longboats and about 30 men in the New Hebrides.

If he'd arrived earlier, he would still have been killed off by Phillip (not Cook... Cook was here 18 years earlier still) just the same...

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell
    Actually, that's not true...

The fact is that La Perouse was under instruction to not come to our east coast at all... he only came here because he was in trouble, having lost both longboats and about 30 men in the New Hebrides.

If he'd arrived earlier, he would still have been killed off by Phillip (not Cook... Cook was here 18 years earlier still) just the same...
    Thanks for the history lesson (and the spelling correction) Ray, I must admit that I was just shooting from the lip but it would have been interesting wouldn't it...
    Bruce

Currently owned:
    1988 505 GTi S2 Familial
    1999 E46 BMW 328Ci, 2002 Falcon AUIII Ute
    Previously owned:
    ('78-'81) 1970 504 (with the beautiful French seats)
    ('81-'89) 1977 504 (took the family on postings to Sydney, Melbourne, Perth and Canberra)
    Brother owned:
    203,403,404,504 (each when they were current vehicles)

If you want to quietly protest at speed camera revenue, then do what I do...

If you see a mobile camera on the side of the road, pull over and park right in front of it, close enough to render it useless. Then get out and take a walk around the block for 10 mins.

I've done this several times, and have never been challenged. In Victoria the camera operators are a private contractor, so they probably aren't phased, and don't have the authority to challenge you anyway. So long as you are parked legally, then you're committing no offence.

If thousands of drivers did what I do it would send a powerful message to the pollies.

Originally posted by yawood
    Thanks for the history lesson (and the spelling correction) Ray, I must admit that I was just shooting from the lip but it would have been interesting wouldn't it...
    Actually, the French weren't out to colonise anything, La Perouse's expedition was purely exploration so that France could gain some kudos in the world exploring trade.

And as for the history lesson, much of that history is yet to actually be written... I'm working on it though...

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information