406 Airbag Ecu locations
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default 406 Airbag Ecu locations

Had the side airbag in a 406 HDi D9 deploy without reason while travelling along a clear road, no impact or visible debris to explain the event. With Peugeot Australia being entirely unsympathetic or helpful on the issue I've set about getting this back on the road.

Pulled a replacement seat from a wreck (props to Jollys excellent system: Jolly's U Pull It - Dismantling and Wrecking All Makes and Models ) and fitted that without any problems, the diagnostic tools see all the parts fitted and correct and show 3 airbag ECUs of which one has the airbag deployed fault code. Problem is the diagnostic tools cant reset the code so the instrument cluster airbag light is on full time and I'd like to be warned if any new faults come up since they are relatively common on this model.

I've seen some suspicious websites claiming they can either reset the module, or reprogram it but the cost will be over and above pulling the part from a wreck. Either way I'd need to know the location of these mysterious ECUs, does anyone have some hints as to how to access them?

Also are the left/right units interchangeable? The only hint I've been able to get so far is this picture:
    Peugot 406 side airbag - tablecloths skirts paper
    Which shows the same part number on a pair of units, and no sidedness/handedness.

Advertisement

There are two interchangeable units (left to right) for lateral airbags, they remain from inception to RPO 9120 (October 2001) - not sure what happens after that.

Air bag modules can be reset by use of third party software, but the cost of used parts locally should undercut the postage and service cost (with the present exchange rate it's probably a $140 exercise). I don't know of anyone who does it locally, nor a commercially available means to extract the data.

For giggles, I suggest contacting one of the "shock horror tonight" type commercial TV programs. They might like to run with your story.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    I don't know of anyone who does it locally, nor a commercially available means to extract the data.
    I'll not link to the locals I found since they seem shady and their prices are rather high. The actual procedure once the ecu is removed is not too complex and involves knowing which bits/bytes to modify on the onboard memory chip by reading off the memory, modifying the data, and loading it back on. But that knowledge is something you pay for or need the OEM tools for the ECUs. And if I have to remove it anyway I'd rather just swap it for one off the wreck and go from there.

Not so hard if I knew where they were located!

Today Tonight has stopped production on the east coast, you've not been watching much TV lately

I don't watch any TV. It's damn near guaranteed to be shite.

The ECUs are going to be either low down on the B pillars or just inboard of them.

1000+ Posts

Either delayed reaction OR maybe your Pug new someone needed a pillow to rest there weary head on??

the ecu is located between the seats under the hand brake see attached.... have the airbag past their use by date ( 15 years ) this could well cause premature deployment
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 406 Airbag Ecu locations-406-d8a-8-82g80a-control-unit-sensor.jpg  
    Meggsy
    Current - 4007HDi
    Had - 407 HDI 406 SV 404, 504, 505 GR and STI. 405 GR ( carbie version) STI, MI16
    And an Austin 1800
    Learnt to drive in 203 Convertible and a 403 SW

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Meggsy View Post
    the ecu is located between the seats under the hand brake see attached.... have the airbag past their use by date ( 15 years ) this could well cause premature deployment
    I'm familiar with the location of the main airbag ECU as shown, its how to get to the two side airbag ECUs that are buried somewhere around the B pillar or in the floor/sill.

Also I would hope airbags detonating without cause is not considered "normal", these show a build date of 2000. If they are a part with a limited life and are required to meet roadworthy requirements then how will we be able to continue to run these cars into the future?

I've been around cars quite a bit, not once in that time have I heard of a spontaneous firing from someone whose word I would rely upon.

So your outcome is, I reckon, pretty unusual. What's the RPO - does it have the additional accelerometers?

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    So your outcome is, I reckon, pretty unusual. What's the RPO - does it have the additional accelerometers?
    The RPO/BAM is an 8600ish, early D9 without the com2000. I'm pretty sure the extra units are on the car as it reports 3 airbag ECUs over the diagnostic tools and the side airbag ECU shows the fault for a deployment while the main unit is clear.

A delayed deployment is possible as I was travelling along a dirt road that was throwing up the occasional rock prior, but there hadn't been any conditions like that for minutes before the airbag deployed.

After RPO 9100 there were external accelerometers fitted to the lateral bags according to Serve Iceblocks. However, I wouldn't rule out their association with a later (CAN) variant of the main control module. It's not clear.

Sounds like you may just be the 1:5000000 unfortunate who cops a random airbag firing! At least it wasn't the main driver's unit.

I don't have my 407 or 406 anymore however I was under the impression that the recommendation was a service life of 10 years initially then it was extended to 15 years see the attached page from the 406 handbook. It only mentions 10 years
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 406 Airbag Ecu locations-pages-153_155_406-dad-ed01-2002.jpg  
    Meggsy
    Current - 4007HDi
    Had - 407 HDI 406 SV 404, 504, 505 GR and STI. 405 GR ( carbie version) STI, MI16
    And an Austin 1800
    Learnt to drive in 203 Convertible and a 403 SW

Possibly so - but they truly don't explode spontaneously in normal situations; PSA airbags were made by the same supplier to Volvo and many others - they weren't an in-house product.

Fellow Frogger!

Checked mine (2000 MY01) vs the wreck (2002 model). The modules are under the rear passenger carpet between the outboard mounting points for the seat. To access you need to remove the B pillar lining, rear passenger foot lining, front seat, and the cable retainer under the seat, then peel back the carpet to reveal the empty space under it.
    406 Airbag Ecu locations-2000.jpg 406 Airbag Ecu locations-2002.jpg

So no luck on finding the right part there, anyone know of a wrecker with a 406 D9 from 1999/2000/2001 ?
    Last edited by hypermiler; 30th March 2014 at 12:56 PM.

Thread Information