Peugeot 205 GTI values - Page 35
  • Register
  • Help
Page 35 of 35 First ... 253132333435
Like Tree270Likes

Thread: Peugeot 205 GTI values

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
    The reference to "series" is Aussiefrog vernacular. What we refer to as a series 1 car means phase 1, s2 is phase 1.5 and s3 means a phase 2 car.

Advertisement

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk
    Understood.
    Thanks Richard

Fellow Frogger!

Of course ppl can retrofit rear disk brakes and 15" Speedlines as well as the clear indicators from Series 3 to earlier cars.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Pintail View Post
    Hi All,
    Could someone please tell me how I can find out all there is to know about Phases and Series for 205 GTI.
    Classic Register talks about https://classicregister.com/guides?page=2
    1986-87 - Phase 1 (1.9l)
    1987-90 - Phase 1.5 (1.9l)
    1990-94 - Phase 2 (1.9l)
    There is no mention of "series".
    Other Googling did not help.

Thanks in advance.

Tadpole

ng850,
    Thanks for that. Very useful information. Just as a matter of interest, what is the source of it. I have been searching for something like this and just didn't find it.

Cheers

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Burnell View Post
    Hi Doug, yes you are right about it changing hands a few times in its later life, I must admit I was a bit worried re this! In its early life it had a couple of long term owners (looking at the paperwork provided) I actually rang one of them to find out a bit more. I must admit I hadn't done all (literally none) my homework on 205's and regarding aussie spec ones, i.e. dfz engine/cat. I saw a receipt for a second hand head so got a bit excited, turns out he bought it but never had it fitted, although he told me about the valve stem seals being replaced. Not sure if this head is original or has been skimmed but I am really happy with the performance of the car as I want to keep original as poss.
    Interesting thing I noticed when I purchased it was that the coolant use to come out of the expansion overflow after a long run (was summer time as well) after you had stopped the engine, turned out the expansion cap was faulty and replaced with correct cap, problem sorted. I was lucky with that as it could have been something worse, so maybe the last couple of owners got the frighteners re that, thinking it was head gasket etc!?
    I was fortunate so to speak just before we bought our house as we had saved,begged, borrowed and sold stuff over years to raise the deposit so thought well there is no chance I will be able to buy a classic car from my youth after mortgage etc so searched what cars were out there. Datsun 240z would be nice, checked the price and almost had a heart attack and thought I know a mk1 or 2 Mexico etc, even bigger shock. My budget was $20k absolute max, hence why the 205gti came on the radar, plus when they came out in the UK they were like some Ferrari hatchback that just changed the car world for teenagers like me but unfortunately I was driving a few hundred dollar Mini (mechanics wages sucked). So had I not bought the car last year, I could not now be able to afford even the cheapest non gti 205 for sale! So yes I bought unseen but was happy with what arrived, although driving a car with no p/s and all the rattles and creaks at first made me think what the heck have I done. Must admit I can really see what everyone on this site see's in them, I actually love it to bits and hopefully wont ever have to put it up for sale again! I have never made any money on vehicle purchases and usually buy quick on impulse and then spend some more on making it nicer and when I sell it, I loose money on it so as to do it all over again, lucky my wife loves and forgives me (25 year anni next year!) every motorbike I have owned I have sold for slightly less than I bought them for, but what is the fun of not being able to tinker on them

I would love to come and see your 205, I haven't seen any around since getting mine, but cannot remember seeing any in the 19 years I have lived in Perth. If there is anything I can help you with re yours, I am only starting to learn about these wonderful cars mechanically and use to be a car mechanic in my previous life, 30 years ago in the UK, so absolutely lost on any type of electronics (points and condensor ok
    Also I never knew there was so much interest in the 205 in Australia, especially in motorsport, and what with the vast knowledge of people on this site (Peter T etc) I don't think you can go wrong with 205 ownership here.
    Cheers
    Paul
    Hi Paul,

I'll PM you as to not to go to off topic for the thread.

Cheers,

Doug

Fellow Frogger!

Pintail, the matrix is based on what has been previously published, the collective wisdom of the AF fraternity and my own research.
    I also provided Tim, who runs the ClassicRegister site, with some detailed info on the AU spec GTi's.

The Phase 1.75/Series 2.5 is my own invention to distinguish this transition AM90 vintage... guilty as charged.

You always have to keep in mind with the UK (and Euro) references that our Series 1 and 2 (and 2.5) GTi's were based on 1.6 GTi's with a DFZ engine stuffed under the bonnet.

Another difference across all of the series is that Australia is deemed as a HOT climate market and so we had A/C, twin speed/dual rad fans and the oil/water heat exchanger installed as standard. We also got electric windows as standard as well.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Pintail View Post
    ng850,
    Thanks for that. Very useful information. Just as a matter of interest, what is the source of it. I have been searching for something like this and just didn't find it.

Cheers

Tadpole

[QUOTE=ng850;1591341]Pintail, the matrix is based on what has been previously published, the collective wisdom of the AF fraternity and my own research.
    I also provided Tim, who runs the ClassicRegister site, with some detailed info on the AU spec GTi's.

ng850,
    Much appreciated. Thanks again!

Here we go... S2 red 205 GTI restored by Australian Peugeot Distributor Sime Darby.
    $26,000

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/...-5739817/?Cr=0

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Red S2 GTI  K  2018-11-14_114032.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	101.0 KB 
ID:	110792

Looks very good but it has the wrong seat material and it came with clear driving lights not the yellow fog lights.

Cars creeping back up to their original new price, eh?
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Quote Originally Posted by David2051.5 View Post
    Looks very good but it has the wrong seat material and it came with clear driving lights not the yellow fog lights.

ooooh jeez your right! Better wait until another much better one pops up, any day now..
    S3 205 GTI x 4 and getting lower
    1998 S1 Lotus Elise
    2013 Fiesta ST
    2014 Audi SQ5

Fellow Frogger!

'generation 1' indeed... shakes head.

Quote Originally Posted by CEyssens View Post
    Here we go... S2 red 205 GTI restored by Australian Peugeot Distributor Sime Darby.
    $26,000

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/...-5739817/?Cr=0

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Red S2 GTI  K  2018-11-14_114032.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	101.0 KB 
ID:	110792

1000+ Posts

Clear driving lights were on the S1 I have one from new. Never yellow.
    87 S1 205 GTI / GTI6 powered a project underway
    306 convertible (gti6 candidate)
    307 HDi wagon
    407 HDi wagon

Yes, I bought one new in August 1989, hence my comments about seat trim and lights. Given it was restored by the Peugeot Distributor you think it would be 100% correct. Ignoring my OCD observations it does look immaculate and is probably a good buy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice to see it still has the pepperpots

Fellow Frogger!

This GTi was discussed on another thread a year back.

Peugeot 205 GTI values-7sx_3.jpg Peugeot 205 GTI values-7sx_2.jpg

Most of the restoration, including the seats, was done by an owner in WA before it was bought by S-D who then did a bit of cosmetic work. The yellow driving lights are a Euro spec version afaik.

Quote Originally Posted by David2051.5 View Post
    Yes, I bought one new in August 1989, hence my comments about seat trim and lights. Given it was restored by the Peugeot Distributor you think it would be 100% correct. Ignoring my OCD observations it does look immaculate and is probably a good buy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you have a link to the forum you refer to?

Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs

VIP Sponsor

It was on this forum Tim.

The cosmetic work done by S-D included fairly crudely painting all the grey external trims in an incorrect glossy black. It's a pretty car, but we are definitely not talking about a fastidious factory restoration.

If you've got that money to spend on a nice 205 at the moment, I think you would be much better off bargaining down the price of the reasonably nice S3 that is on Carsales at the moment.
    CEyssens likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
    The cosmetic work done by S-D included fairly crudely painting all the grey external trims in an incorrect glossy black. It's a pretty car, but we are definitely not talking about a fastidious factory restoration.

If you've got that money to spend on a nice 205 at the moment, I think you would be much better off bargaining down the price of the reasonably nice S3 that is on Carsales at the moment.
    Well said

That SD car is far from original.

The S3 on carsales is fair game.
    CEyssens likes this.

The SD red GTI is definitely restored, with lots of effort and $s gone into it, just some areas not purely original. Lots of 205GTI people wanting pure originality especially when asking a premium price. For me the biggest issue at that price point would be the grey external trim, and what is it like mechanically?

I do agree the grey S3 car from NSW is worth perusing, I wonder what work it needs done apart from that bumper trim.

Its a mates car. Ive been holding off getting involved. Its a very complete car and has had quite a bit of recent work done to it. It needs attention to the paint and some minor stitching on the seats. Mechanically its very good and shouldnt need any work as far as I know.

If it can be had for 15k its a bargain as all the hard stuff has been done. (Bushes, rear beam, shocks etc).

The car has the red trim with it along with a couole of other bits. Hes too lazy to do it himself and is currently too busy be bothered with it. A good time me thinks to offer him something!
    CEyssens and gsowner84 like this.

Page 35 of 35 First ... 253132333435

Thread Information