405 Driving Lights
  • Register
  • Help

405 Driving Lights

I am after some ideas on how to mount a pair of driving lights to my 405 Mi16 (Series 2).

I thought about a nudge bar type arrangement, but there doesn't appear to be any good mounting places. Then I thought about straight into the bumber, but it looks hard to get to the back of this to attach the nuts. Any further ideas??

Also, how much spare power should there be from the alternator. ie how much current can additional lights draw. I already have a pair of fog lights mounted in the lower bumber.

Does anyone have recommendations on what are good driving lights? I drive mostly through country NSW so something to see in further in frount and to the sides of the car would be nice.

Thanks, Simon

Advertisement

I doubt the alt will have any probs coping, seemed fine with 1200WRMS worth of amps.

Thanks Andreas.

As another thought, the headlights are rated as 55W/60W (dual beam H4 globes) and 55W (High beam H1 golbes). Has anyone had success running higher power globes than these. Comments seem to be that you melt the reflectors if you go over the recommended ratings.

Thanks, Simon

i ran some 90/100 on my jeep for a while but found that they blinded the oncoming driver (even more so than normal car as 4x4 is higher)so i replaced them with some 60/100....they ve been fine and i ve had them for over a year now.....i also run the same arrangement on my 205....though admitedly the 205 has not seen long periods of high beam driving so am not sure wether the reflectors will go into a thermonuclear meltdown....have sseen many customers (vk cramydore and ealier)have this problem so definitely BE carefull...whatever you end up doing make sure you BUY quality globes (not the nasty blue/whites from korea) and possibly consider installing a heavy duty relay....

cheers
    dino

Hi Dino,

What do you suggest as quality globes?
    And were are the original relays for the lights hiding - are they easy to get to and change.

Thanks, Simon

...to be honest...i m not sure where the light relay is to be found on an mi16 (most likely under the bonnet...there should a fuse/relay box....)many others know better i m sure...in regards 2 the globes id recommend....well PHILIPS are the way i d go....they r great quality and i really have not had any problems with mine....we had a demo done (when i was at autobarn) and the "light guy" from philips (obviously biased) still managed to convince us easily on the quality of their light globes and their back up should u "ever" get a dud...another thing that i forgot 2 mention: what rating are you existing driving lights rated to...many handle 100W quite easily so u might even want to consider uprating them 140w....its only a suggestion....not necessarily a wise one...but its pretty easy 2 check...somebody like hella might be able 2 advise ...their tech. dept.is quite intelligent and very customer friendly from my experiance...

cheers
    dino

Thread Information