306 XSi Suspension/Tyres Rear Noise
  • Register
  • Help

Default 306 XSi Suspension/Tyres Rear Noise

Whenever I have two to three people in the back of my car (depending on weights) something seems to scrape/hit in the rear suspension or tyres of my car. This happens over dips and bumps in the road and sometimes when cornering hard. You can see the rear wheel arches drop a significant height when people are in there. Iím wondering if this could be a suspension thing (have no idea what) or if it could be something to do with having 205 sized tyres. Iíve never really had other tyres so I donít know what it should be like. Whatever it is it doesnít sound healthy but Iíve managed with it for 18 months or soÖ If anybodyís had any similar experiences or has any answers they would be much appreciated.

Advertisement
    '99 306 XSi Black Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. 306
    Whenever I have two to three people in the back of my car (depending on weights) something seems to scrape/hit in the rear suspension or tyres of my car. This happens over dips and bumps in the road and sometimes when cornering hard. You can see the rear wheel arches drop a significant height when people are in there. Iím wondering if this could be a suspension thing (have no idea what) or if it could be something to do with having 205 sized tyres. Iíve never really had other tyres so I donít know what it should be like. Whatever it is it doesnít sound healthy but Iíve managed with it for 18 months or soÖ If anybodyís had any similar experiences or has any answers they would be much appreciated.
    I had the car bottom out on me, at the rear running 195/55R15s, on some spirited driving on the last cruise I went on. I was very surprised, I must say. Don't know what else to say really, just that I've had this too, don't know the answer.
    - Lincoln

Contribute to the World Community Grid.

I think it must be the tyres. It hasn't really caused any issues apart from hey that doesn't sound to good. All the more reason to put some 195s onto the car.

If anyone else has any ideas I'd still like to hear your suggestions.

I think it must be the tyres. It hasn't really caused any issues apart from hey that doesn't sound to good. All the more reason to put some 195s onto the car.

If anyone else has any ideas I'd still like to hear your suggestions.
    yep, ive got the exact same problem,,(3 door 306) I put 205's on the car and with people in the back it scrapes..Its actually worn a hole in the wheel arch plastic bits, worse now that its lowered It seem to be where the bumper and wheel arch meet that it scrapes on, also on the drivers side there is a small cover for the fuel pipe that has about 5mm clearance, so when the cars low...crunch, the only solution really is to put 195's on..the damage is not bad though, all the plastic is easily replaceable.

1000+ Posts

I've never had a problem, and I've had some pretty serious weights in my car.

The first time Dave organised a ski day, I had my mate Adrian and myself and three girls in the back (not all small) plus a pile of luggage. We drove on some pretty bumpy roads that day and no worries.

I've also been camping in the car. I had all my camping gear and had enough stuff in there for 4 days, plus me and 2/3 others depending on who was riding in which car and again, no worries.

From all that, my guess is it's the 205 width tyres because I have the 195/55R15's. I'm surprised that it's SO close - I mean 10mm isn't a whole lot is it?

Derek

I know 10mm isn't much at all. You would think there would be clearance?

That's why I also included suspension in the post as I thought it could maybe be that.

Ok, I've had this also.

Firstly the wider tyres do make a diffence, especially if the car has been lowered, have you considered having your wheel arches rolled? This will accomodate the wide tyre, don't forget that having a tyre that is too wide will actually upset your handling instead of making it better.

Secondly, what sometimes happens when they lower the rear of your car(having torsion bars) it puts the tracking off slightly, so for example, you may find that the left rear tyre is 10mm from the guard and the right is only 5mm, this will cause the scraping sound you have described, you will find that one the tyres have worn out a little around the edges it happens less and less. This is easily fixed but make sure you take it to someone who knows what they are doing.

I know having wider tyres is no good. I have to drive on them and believe me I can't wait to put some 195s onto the car.

It's rare that I have that many people in the car so I don't think I'll do much about it as I should be putting some 195s onto the car in the not to distant future and in theory this should solve the problem.

Thanks for your help.

I know having wider tyres is no good. I have to drive on them and believe me I can't wait to put some 195s onto the car.

It's rare that I have that many people in the car so I don't think I'll do much about it as I should be putting some 195s onto the car in the not to distant future and in theory this should solve the problem.

Thanks for your help.
    There is nothing wrong with having 205's on the car, only if you start going wide than that, then you may find it could upset the handling of the car. My experience with 205's on the car are good, just that little bit more traction when moving at speed through corners.

Fellow Frogger!

i had the same problem when i fitted 205's to my car

Removed some of the plastic inner guard and fitted some 5mm spacers to the rear wheels. Never had this problem again even with 5 adults in the car and a boot pretty much full.

Try getting some spacers i think i paid something like $15 for them

Thread Information