306 S16 Thermostat
  • Register
  • Help

306 S16 Thermostat

My theremostat has gone bung and I need a new one, however I am unsure as to whether the part is replacable by one of the generic ones you can buy from Repco or do I have to get a special part from a Peugeot parts supplier?

I have been quoted $38 for a replacement.

Advertisement

It looks like a standard thermostat and is marked for 89deg.
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

nJm
    Where did you get that price from?

The first time I bought a thermostat for my 505 I went to Regans (official Peugeot importer) and paid $28 for it. Last week I went to a 3rd party french car parts place, got a different brand (Sasic) for $15.
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

Why does it need another one, Nick? Thermostats should normally last for many, many years.

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 4008 2016Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, (deadish), - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 406 ST 1997, 307 XSE, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

The rubber O-ring around the valve has spit and come fully away from the valve itself.

I was quoted that price by my Pug mechanic.

Sorry Phasis, I was wondering about Nick's rather than yours. A 1995 thermo dying I can understand, but a presumably almost new one like his is another matter. (Even the peugeot 12 month parts warranty might have covered it).

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 4008 2016Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, (deadish), - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 406 ST 1997, 307 XSE, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

nJm
    I don't know why it stopped working. I must admit I bought the new one before I took the old one out, as the temp guage never went above 1/3 warmed up unless in heavy stop start traffic. Since putting the new one in it definatley runs a lot better although the guage doesn't move much more than it did. I guess that is stuffed along with the fuel guage.
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

Brad, recently when my starter whent i did a overhaul of the radiator, the Th/stat cost me $30, but im not sure if its a pug part or a generic, eithert way its got a 12month waranty with it.
    But for piece of mind ring up pug parts compare prices and ask about the diffrences if any.
    Your a clever lad, why dont yo reinvent the whole system so that cars don't require any coolant.... ok ill shut up now. cheer mate Xq
    ... ptui!

nJm:
    I don't know why it stopped working. I must admit I bought the new one before I took the old one out, as the temp guage never went above 1/3 warmed up unless in heavy stop start traffic. Since putting the new one in it definatley runs a lot better although the guage doesn't move much more than it did. I guess that is stuffed along with the fuel guage.
    Is it "a lot better" just when its cold Nick. If so it probably was the thermo, but its not uncommon for Peugeot cooling systems just to sit continually on the same temperature regardless of the situation. Its when they don't that you worry!

You could have a problematic sender unit, I guess, but I doubt it. My bet would be that the improvement, unless it was just during the first few minutes of operation, was due to something else. Bump any plug leads when you replaced it?

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Bought a genuine one today, $36. Apparently you can get one that will fit, but not properly....needless to say for the sake of $10 i played it safe.

Got it installed, required quite a bit of water to get the fluid level up, but took it for a spin and was perfect.

Thread Information