should i buy 206 GTi?
  • Register
  • Help

should i buy 206 GTi?

Hi, I'm thinking of getting a 2001 206 GTi and i was wondering if it costs a lot to maintain the car since it's an european import.
    How much does it usually cost for each trip to dealer for regular servicing?
    How's the price for parts such as headlight unit, bumper, bonnet and etc...
    Also, does it mean I should only go to peugeot dealers to get service since not many people know much about them?
    Any comments or experience in repair and maintenance of 206 GTi will be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement

They're a great car, very reliable and still has that great pug handling. The gear ratios are excelent and the gti is fitted out well for a mid-price hatch.
    Not as raw and fun as a 205 Gti, but its not far off either. Looks good too and the colours are more interesting than people get. Great engine block, the same as in the WRC 206.
    The very few quibles are parts can be iffy, weak front rotors. Most ape footed people hate the pedal placement,(i love it, tops for track work), seat adjustment never seems perfect, but not all that bad. Shit CD player, most fail.
    Insurance can be high for young ones, around $3000 compre, no claim bon.
    Take one for a good test drive and enjoy! they are very good but still a FWD hatch back. A real hoot and very rewarding to drive.
    You don't have to take it to peugeot to service, but find a past thread here on this very subject. think it was called good peugeot service.
    cheers Xq
    ... ptui!

try 206gti.net

or .au on the end if that doesn't work.

its car right, they all cost money! they ain't investments now r they! we wish.

i have a '90 205 gti. they are the same chasis, with the same/similar engine block. 206 just refined, same idea. little car big engine! same problems for servicing (like a lot of euro hatches). things are harder to get to, so it takes more time.

but then not if you take it to exeperienced pug people, then they know the ins & outs so real diff in maintainence costs compared to the easy peasy jap mobiles.

i've had my pug for 3 years, it has a really good history. only service costs $250-300, and replacing hoses, shocks etc. that pretty typ for that age.

but it IS MORE $ than, my old corrolla to maintain, but then i never really cared for that car, and i love my pug! some cars give back what they put in!

i'm going to sell soon to upgrade to a newer 92+ 205. so i'm sold on the car, and if i cared that much about money, i wouln't own one!

if u got a lot of $ and time then wait for the 206GTi 180RC, 133Kw of monster power, yeah!
    renn
    Renn
    Peugeot 205 s16
    Megane RS 225 Cup

Well, I would love to get the 133KW one too but out of range of my budget.
    I'm just planning to get a 1-2 year old 206Gti for around $25,000.

The one i'm currently interested is 2001 model. The owner bought it in October. It had 16in wheels. Would this model have new audio (not eurovox), trip computer, auto headlight, new steering column stalks and passenger seat height adjustment? What's the difference between this model and the new model currently on sale at showroom, if any? W

<small>[ 26 May 2003, 11:44 PM: Message edited by: coladuna ]</small>

nJm
    For servicing costs from an official Peugeot workshop, take a look at this website:
    <a href="http://www.peugeot.com.au/peugeot/au/me.get?site.home&FFFF115" target="_blank">Peugeot Australia Menu Service Price List</a>

So basically you have a service every 20,000km. Each service it alternates between a $305 minor service and a $665 major service. At every 10,000km interval there is a quick fluids check at the dealer. Every 80,000km or 4 years you'll need your cambelt replaced which costs $590.
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

Like xqisid said

XTC
    nJm:
    So basically you have a service every 20,000km. Each service it alternates between a $305 minor service and a $665 major service. At every 10,000km interval there is a quick fluids check at the dealer. Every 80,000km or 4 years you'll need your cambelt replaced which costs $590.
    The $665 service is only every 40,000kms - a long way apart and with recomended servicing at 20,000kms that's almost double a lot of other cars - there are many people who still get 10,000km minor services ... but most dealers knock the price under $200 (mine did) - in future though I think I'll opt to doing just an oil and filter change myself @ 10,000kms.

XTC206
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

XTC
    coladuna:
    The one i'm currently interested is 2001 model. The owner bought it in October. It had 16in wheels. Would this model have new audio (not eurovox), trip computer, auto headlight, new steering column stalks and passenger seat height adjustment? What's the difference between this model and the new model currently on sale at showroom, if any? W
    The 16" wheels could have been put on as an option at the time ... I know some other late 2001 GTi owners who still have 15", if it's not a Multiplex car (see the 206GTi <a href="http://www.206gti.net/faq/" target="_blank">FAQ</a> for some other helpful info) then it will not have the trip computer this was a 2002 addition. If it has the new head unit, it'll have the new audio stalk ... the new stalk does not move up and down (like and indicator) and is broader and flatter.

There is currently a project underway by a few of the 206GTi.net contributors to put together a "pictorial" FAQ highlighting all the differences between MY99 to MY03 206GTi's - might take a few weeks to complete (and probably too late for you) but it'll be a great reference point in the future.

XTC206

Now this is a .sig

XTC
    coladuna:
    Also, does it mean I should only go to peugeot dealers to get service since not many people know much about them?
    Any comments or experience in repair and maintenance of 206 GTi will be greatly appreciated.
    Prices for spare parts will never be as cheap as the holden/ford/toyota parts bins - plus the number of secondhand parts is also limited - i guess it all comes down to;
    • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"> A). how you treat the car - thrash the box off it and something will break in the end.
    • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"> B). Do you service it - or let it suffer for 1,000s of kms after a service interval has expired.
    • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"> C). How prone you are to accidents (or how unlucky you have been)
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">It is a great little* car (* it's not *that* little ... you can carry 4 adults in relative comfort (maybe not 4 rugby players though)) whistle . It's got plenty of useable space in the boot and the seats fold down for more. It handles superbly - not as raw as the 205GTi, but doesn't suffer from as much "step off oversteer" as the 205 does and is a more refined ride. It has a somewhat cult following and never fails to turn heads. 2ltr with 1050kg and 90% torque @ 2000rpm means it'll be a fun drive anytime - it's nice not to have to change down everytime you approach a crest or just want to pick up speed.
    Sure there are faster cars - but who wants to spend all of their driving time in the 6000rpm range just so it's in the "power band" And for $25k .. you'll be smiling (even if the service costs are a little higher).

XTC206 (who maybe a little biased - but why not )

Now this is a .sig

renn_205:

i have a '90 205 gti. they are the same chasis, with the same/similar engine block.
    Huh??

I think you'll find that both the car and the engines are not related at all.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    nJm:
    Every 80,000km or 4 years you'll need your cambelt replaced which costs $590.
    306 timing belt is $380 so how is a 206 nearly $200 more ?????
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

nJm
    Don't know, but the cost of cambelts varies widely depending on the car:

<a href="http://www.peugeot.com.au/peugeot/au/me.get?SITE.sitesections.show&FFFF482" target="_blank">Peugeot Cambelt Change Prices</a>
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

The 2 litre EW motors all seem to be $590 regardless of what they are fitted to. The 8 valve motors and 1.6 litre 16 valves seem to be 380. Thje XU 10 motors, regardless of what they are fitted to, are $450. The V6's are $690 (but every 120'000 k's. The little 206 1.4 and 1.6 8 valve are $295. My guess would be that its all due to the regular parts and labor equation.

Hey, the difference in price if you do 20,000K's a year between replacing the belt on an 8 valve 1.4 litre 206 and the 16 valve 2 litre is about $1.50 a week. The price of a weekend paper or a can of coke! If this is a problem you can't afford the car.

Cheers

Rod

<small>[ 27 May 2003, 07:39 PM: Message edited by: Rod Hagen ]</small>
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 4008 2016Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, (deadish), - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 406 ST 1997, 307 XSE, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

Rod, you hit the nail there, (crampt litlle engine bays, are all the rage) access thus labour add costs on those damm belts, ive done mine at 82,000. and i remember it cost me just over $800, wich included a minor service and a wash! yeeepe.
    this is for a x series twin-cam 306.
    Cheers Xq
    ... ptui!

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    Rod Hagen:
    The 2 litre EW motors all seem to be $590 regardless of what they are fitted to. The 8 valve motors and 1.6 litre 16 valves seem to be 380. Thje XU 10 motors, regardless of what they are fitted to, are $450.
    mine is the XU10 engine and i was quoted by 2 different dealerships $380 to get the belt done

after looking under the bonnet of mothers 206GTi and mine i am sorry but i can't see where in the hell the extra $200 is for a belt change
    is the belt for an EW engine made of something special ???
    people really have to start questioning prices before things are done i think
    prices seem to be just thrown around like they don't matter
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Googling around for some comparative cam belt replacement figures for other other marques I ran into UK quotes of UK 400 for Toyota cam belt replacement and regular service. Almost makes Peugeot look cheap at 3 dollars to the quid!!

I also ran into this Melbourne Peugeot related page , which I hadn't seen before (tyhough probably every one else has!) , from a well known Melbourne operator. Worth a look. <a href="http://www.bluep.com/~eai/TECHNICAL.HTM" target="_blank">http://www.bluep.com/~eai/TECHNICAL.HTM</a>

Their home page seems to be <a href="http://www.bluep.com/~eai/index.html" target="_blank">http://www.bluep.com/~eai/index.html</a>

Cheers

Rod

<small>[ 27 May 2003, 08:06 PM: Message edited by: Rod Hagen ]</small>
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 4008 2016Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, (deadish), - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 406 ST 1997, 307 XSE, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

Tadpole
    coladuna:
    Hi, I'm thinking of getting a 2001 206 GTi and i was wondering if it costs a lot to maintain the car since it's an european import.
    How much does it usually cost for each trip to dealer for regular servicing?
    Okay,
    Parts are kind expensive - the mux 206s more so. I had to get a headlight replaced and it's just under $500! Personally I do take the car to the dealer (only one in Adelaide) as they do a good job, their labour prices are very good (esp considering they're a dealer) and access to the ECU tools which have helped me when I had an intermittent idle issue (turned out to be a sensor gone bad).
    MMC
    --
    206gti.net

XTC
    Matthew Moyle-Croft:
    Personally I do take the car to the dealer (only one in Adelaide) as they do a good job, their labour prices are very good (esp considering they're a dealer) and access to the ECU tools which have helped me when I had an intermittent idle issue (turned out to be a sensor gone bad).
    Yep that's a bit of an issue .. only the dealers have the diag kit ... did someone say anti-competative, ACCC and Trade Practices Act all in one sentence

XTC206

Now this is a .sig

Thread Information