306 XT clicking noise (relay??)
  • Register
  • Help

Default 306 XT clicking noise (relay??)

Hiyas,

Newbie question time again My 98 306 has just started making a strange clicking noise randomly, which sounds rather like the indicator noise. At first, it was just in bursts after I'd indicated.. but this morning when I hopped in the car, it was doing it constantly. Turning the wipers on/off didn't do anything (I'd left them on rain-sensing, so I thought it worth a try), likewise indicating didn't stop it - while indicating, I could just hear the normal noise, indicator off and it went back to a faster rate of clicking.

ARGH!

And.. to top it off... the service-indicator has suddenly zero'd. It should have about 5000km to go (it's been counting down nicely) but this morning - 0!.

So.. any thoughts on what might be causing this?

Advertisement

Thanks all,
    Dave.

...ahhhh the indicator stalk clicking again rises its ugly head. One of the 306's trademark. Take the car to a good service center and explain your problem.
    Its not something i recommend as poking around there on a 306 could lead to an air-bag failure/setoff if you are not careull.
    How ever if you are VERY comfy and confident in you own ability then have ago at replacing the unit youself.
    Do a search (here on AF) as i know this topic has been around before. good luck-chris
    ... ptui!

Quote Originally Posted by sysiphus
    Hiyas,

Newbie question time again My 98 306 has just started making a strange clicking noise randomly, which sounds rather like the indicator noise. At first, it was just in bursts after I'd indicated.. but this morning when I hopped in the car, it was doing it constantly. Turning the wipers on/off didn't do anything (I'd left them on rain-sensing, so I thought it worth a try), likewise indicating didn't stop it - while indicating, I could just hear the normal noise, indicator off and it went back to a faster rate of clicking.

ARGH!

And.. to top it off... the service-indicator has suddenly zero'd. It should have about 5000km to go (it's been counting down nicely) but this morning - 0!.

So.. any thoughts on what might be causing this?

Thanks all,
    Dave.
    Hello,
    Your not alone... N3, N5's all have this problem from time to time.. The indicator stalk it's self is to blame... as advised by Chris16 taking the car to a dealer is the easy option and should set you back around $150... Get done sooner rather than later as I have seen melted dashes... (rare though!!)

PS If you Really want to DIY Let me know I'll give you the part number and a guide to the method...

Good luck..

Thanks for the advice, everybody... guess it's just something to put on "the list" when I take this baby in for its first real service.

*sigh*

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by J4RS
    Hello,
    Your not alone... N3, N5's all have this problem from time to time.. The indicator stalk it's self is to blame... as advised by Chris16 taking the car to a dealer is the easy option and should set you back around $150... Get done sooner rather than later as I have seen melted dashes... (rare though!!)
    In case anyone's interested, I haven't managed to get the relay fixed yet.. but as I was just driving home, a small plume of electrical smoke blossomed from my steering column.

"Oh bother" says Dave, <small>as he calls his auto-leccy man to book the car in for Tuesday</small>

*sigh*

Guess I won't be driving the old girl this weekend

Thread Information