Hi, and 206 gti "upgrade" to suspension and intake queries
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Hi, and 206 gti "upgrade" to suspension and intake queries

Default Hi, and 206 gti "upgrade" to suspension and intake queries

Evening fellow froggers!

First post here, although I have to admit that I've been "spying" on you all through this site for a few months now! ;-) It's nice to be here and I hope to participate in the free exchange of information and ideas relating to all things Pug.
    I've got a 206gti (138) which I purchased a few months ago; after discovering I bought it with a blown head gasket (interestingly there was no mayo under the filler cap, it had all found it's way to the radiator reservoir and the coolant lines) and accepting that I'm better off to wear the cost of repair and at least have a decent car (albeit slightly more expensive than initially thought) than ditch it and try to get something else, I've decided that if I'm going to hang onto it for a few years i may as well give it a little love. I'm trying to get the best "bang for buck" from about $1500 whilst still keeping the car looking stock and maintaining daily commute drivability.
    First plan is a cat-back 2-2.25" (haven't decided yet) stainless exhaust, which I'm getting made locally. I've also decided to get a K&N panel filter; not because I think I'm likely to notice any performance gains, but I like the idea of not throwing a filter away every 10000km.
    In terms of induction, I was wondering if anyone has done the intake mod from The Peugeot 206 GTI Page and if so what your thought on it are? Second hand info also happily accepted :-)
    After that I wanted to get an ECU remap; after digging around I'm leaning towards the Powerchip mod, which I discovered today after chatting with them is actually the remap from BR-Performance in Belgium http://www.br-performance.be/en-be/c...7-2-0-s16-gti/. It looks to give a modest but consistent increase in power across the rev range, but more importantly a roughly 15% increase in torque all the way from 1500rpm to about 6000rpm. I also like that the peak power is consistent from around 5000rpm all the way to 6500; in stock form you're never going to see peak power as it's only reached just on redline. Anyone got any past experience with this software they want to share?
    Lastly, I was thinking of some simple suspension upgrades; I can probably make a front strut bar, but if anyone knows of a good locally available one I'd be happy to consider buying one. Was also thinking of upgrading the shocks to something with a little more low speed damping to help control body roll, but also wondered if any of the uprated rear suspension from the GTI180 can be retrofitted easily to the standard gti?
    Wow, that's much longer than I had intended! Anyway, would love to hear your thoughts and feedback, and thanks for reading my rather long-winded first post! :-)

Wiffle

Advertisement

Hi Wiff,

Sad to hear about the head. nevertheless welcome to AF. the 138 is a great runabout/daily drive, so im happy youve decided to keep it. Ive done the 206gti intake mod, havnt done a dyno yet tho so I cant say its any better than stock (it feels smoother on accel though) and a slightly better sound with a pod fitted in leiu of the panel filter. however after about 6 months I upgraded the aluminium tubing to PVC piping as it is more sturdy, id imagine if you could fabricate a pipe like the KN typhoon cold induction kit would be the best. im keen to see how you go with the powerchips, i havnt got to that stage yet.

Hi Wiffle,

Welcome to
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

The biggest improvements to the 138 engine I've read about is changing the intake and exhaust manifolds!

Thanks for the friendly welcome folks!

Hey Kinroh, clever thinking with the PVC; don't suppose you have any pics? Did you still stick with 100mm OD? Any issues with water entry?

DRTDVL, I know what you're saying, but I suspect that would have seriously blown my budget, and I want to keep the car relatively stock so hence the chip and exhaust option. The induction Mod mentioned is virtually free, so figure it's a no-brainer unless there's something significantly wrong with it.

Anyone got thoughts on suspension mods?

Cheers, Steve (Wiffle) :-)

Fellow Frogger!

Hey Wiff, my Gti180 has all the mods you ask about....and many more, how much you keen to spend? hahaha. I have the KnN Typhoon pipe, great for snorkling water into the engine (water over road equalled flooded pug), even better for cold air intake, wouldnt mind cutting it short and taking air in through the 'mouth'. ECU tune is done by Magic himself, i take 107 kw at the wheels from the dyno. exhaust i have hand made sections, all looks super sexy and works a treat, so it seams intake and exhaust are the nicest net mods to be done, or a DP turbo conversion . As for suspension, ive been told you cant have the torsion spring and shock setup that the 206 CC (odd) and GTi 180 (RC), anyone care to correct this if im wrong? Im using all AST Sportline I coils, shocks and camber caster solid top plates n blah blah adjustable this that n the other, if you want a comfy car, dont get all this stuff, if you want the most brutal G forces round any corner (better have track rubber) then this is for you Im soon to turf the AST in favor of the Eibach b12 kit, for just on a grand it looks to be a very nice performing everyday ride. Welcome!
    PUG 206 GTI 180
    AEGEAN BLUE
    OZ RACING ULTRALEGGERAS
    BREMBOS
    ACHILLIES 123S TRACK RUBBER
    AST SPORTLINE I
    AST SOLID TOP MOUNTS
    EMS EXHAUST
    EMS TUNED
    AP CLUTCH
    PHILLIPS HIDS
    GENUINE MORETTES
    IPOD CABLE
    DYNAMAT

107 fwkW DYNO'D 2012

Hey WRC, sounds like you've got a bit of a road weapon there! I've got to keep this thing fairly sedate, 80% of the time it'll be my wife's daily drive and I don't think she wants me to rattle her teeth loose; also need to keep things on the cheap (as much as possible). If you do end up getting the B12/eibach's I may be interested in your AST setup, assuming it'll fit (at least the front should be ok?).
    Any suggestions on best places to get suspension bits for pugs? OS or in OZ?

Hi good to see another aussie frogger in wollongong.

Did you see the damaged 206 gti 180 on ebay and it is in wollongong?

I also have a smashed 206 gti in my back yard no sure what I am doing with it at the moment.

Regards jamie

series 2 405 mi16
    205 si
    series 1 205 gti
    series 3 205 with a gti6 motor project
    1970 404 ute 504 ti motor project
    parts cars 2 205 si's 306 sedan
    2004 206 gti180

Hey Jamie,
    Nice to know I'm not the only frogger in the 'Gong! Do you have a link to the ebay one? I couldn't find it. What colour is your damaged gti? what sort of damage?
    Demanding bugger, aren't I?!

Black and front end damage and ebay number 251416218535

series 2 405 mi16
    205 si
    series 1 205 gti
    series 3 205 with a gti6 motor project
    1970 404 ute 504 ti motor project
    parts cars 2 205 si's 306 sedan
    2004 206 gti180

Did that 180 sell for 800$!!!

?
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    91 205 Si
    87 205 GTi Race Car
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

Quote Originally Posted by cam85 View Post
    Did that 180 sell for 800$!!!

?
    Apparently is didn't meet reserve so was turned in...

Fellow Frogger!

I bid on that 180 at 810, i even PM him and he offered me 2K to have it, so thats his reserve, i email him every couple of days with 850 but he aint budging
    PUG 206 GTI 180
    AEGEAN BLUE
    OZ RACING ULTRALEGGERAS
    BREMBOS
    AST SPORTLINE I
    AST SOLID TOP MOUNTS
    EMS EXHAUST
    EMS TUNED
    AP CLUTCH
    PHILLIPS HIDS
    GENUINE MORETTES
    IPOD CABLE
    DYNAMAT

107 fwkW DYNO'D 2012

Fellow Frogger!

WIFFLE, yes my pug is targa ready to race bar the roll cage, cant bring myself to hack up the interior as the car is mint mint mint! it rides like a go cart, never been trumped round a bend yet, and its our only car and the missus complains now n then, so another car for her and i can continue the great work Ben the previous owner put into the 180 which is now mine
    Wiffle likes this.
    PUG 206 GTI 180
    AEGEAN BLUE
    OZ RACING ULTRALEGGERAS
    BREMBOS
    AST SPORTLINE I
    AST SOLID TOP MOUNTS
    EMS EXHAUST
    EMS TUNED
    AP CLUTCH
    PHILLIPS HIDS
    GENUINE MORETTES
    IPOD CABLE
    DYNAMAT

107 fwkW DYNO'D 2012

I think the guy with the crashed 180 is very optimistic; I've seen registered and essentially undamaged ones for around 5 grand, and his is smashed and doesn't even have an interior! Someone tell him he's dreaming! ;-)

Fellow Frogger!

Already have, lol. I told him because its outside and in the weather parts will be unusable thus really re registering that car is not an option and the longer he leaves it, the worse it gets, besides there is a black 180 still on ebay after longer than 12 months with FLH damage in a shed which he too wants ridiculous prices for parts.....$400 for a pair of head lights...really???? So its not like cars arnt out there
    PUG 206 GTI 180
    AEGEAN BLUE
    OZ RACING ULTRALEGGERAS
    BREMBOS
    AST SPORTLINE I
    AST SOLID TOP MOUNTS
    EMS EXHAUST
    EMS TUNED
    AP CLUTCH
    PHILLIPS HIDS
    GENUINE MORETTES
    IPOD CABLE
    DYNAMAT

107 fwkW DYNO'D 2012

Fellow Frogger!

who would in with me on purchasing that blue 180? since full interior is included someone may like some 180 mags, brakes and comfy big bucket seats for their 138 real cheap ?
    PUG 206 GTI 180
    AEGEAN BLUE
    OZ RACING ULTRALEGGERAS
    BREMBOS
    AST SPORTLINE I
    AST SOLID TOP MOUNTS
    EMS EXHAUST
    EMS TUNED
    AP CLUTCH
    PHILLIPS HIDS
    GENUINE MORETTES
    IPOD CABLE
    DYNAMAT

107 fwkW DYNO'D 2012

Be VERY careful buying any damaged car. With the new laws, if the car has been written off, and you didn't buy it within 28 days of being written off (and get relevant authorization to repair) it can NEVER be re-registered.

I believe there are exemption if it is your own car and you owned it for more than a month before being written off.

Tony.
    306 S16 1995 black
    Morris 1100 1965 green

Fellow Frogger!

Somehow i dont think anyone wishes to register it, we all want the juicy parts
    PUG 206 GTI 180
    AEGEAN BLUE
    OZ RACING ULTRALEGGERAS
    BREMBOS
    AST SPORTLINE I
    AST SOLID TOP MOUNTS
    EMS EXHAUST
    EMS TUNED
    AP CLUTCH
    PHILLIPS HIDS
    GENUINE MORETTES
    IPOD CABLE
    DYNAMAT

107 fwkW DYNO'D 2012

It's tempting, but given that I don't know a) how much my current pug repair will cost, and b) not sure how many of the parts on the blue one will fit on my 138, I think I'd better give it a miss for now. If someone else gets it I may be interested in a few bits down the line, though! ;-)

Icon6

G'day,
    where is this thing listed ?
    Is the body OK ?
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

Could be in for the rims if you go down that path

Fellow Frogger!

pug206GTI: front end is completely off the car, all relevent support areas are untouched and in one piece, im told all panels are available, alog with interior, im chasing the engine and gearbox to start a turbo charged conversion so building up a second donk and car still on the road works awesome for me, as for all interior, wheels, bigger brakes n blah, anyone else can have
    PUG 206 GTI 180
    AEGEAN BLUE
    OZ RACING ULTRALEGGERAS
    BREMBOS
    AST SPORTLINE I
    AST SOLID TOP MOUNTS
    EMS EXHAUST
    EMS TUNED
    AP CLUTCH
    PHILLIPS HIDS
    GENUINE MORETTES
    IPOD CABLE
    DYNAMAT

107 fwkW DYNO'D 2012

I might be interested in the brakes; anyone know if they'll fit on the 138? I'm hoping it's just a caliper swap...

Maybe the springs/dampers, too :-)
    Last edited by Wiffle; 16th January 2014 at 10:07 PM.

Fellow Frogger!

The calipers should fit on the the 138, the rotor would be needed too I think as they're bigger.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information