Sound Deadening the 205GTI
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Sound Deadening the 205GTI

Hi Everybody,
    I'm about to install a new stereo in my 205 (finally... only took me 8 years of listening to tapes and cardboard speakers). I've already printed up the 2 articles on www.205GTIdrivers.com. My question is regarding the sound deadening (assuming someone else has done this). What material did you use? How much did you need? Did it make a big difference? What were your biggest problems? Anything else?
    Thanks

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

When I installed the stereo in my 205 I applyed a bitumen based sound deadner from jaycar (sells in a roll for about $20) to the rear plastic panels where the rear speakers sit, a pain in the arse to remove the panels and made only the slighest difference, i have not done the doors as yet as there is no rattles coming from the doors, the best thing to do would to be install the stereo and if anything rattles very likely in a 205 and try to locate them and then apply sound deadner as neccessary.
    05' Megane 225 Cup

Good too see someone doing this, sond-dedainig can ke $250 buck speakers sound like $500 jobs...
    I recommend a product called SOUND-off. It comes in a tub and can be applied by a brush onto any clean panel, its MUCH easier to apply than rolls or spray on stuff. Works like a paste, so include drying time. One standard tub costs about $80 bucks, but it can cover both front doors on a 205 and enough left to do that noisy tailgate too.
    In all the years i installed i used it every were, sub boxes, panels, behind trim, inside dashes, and even on inside the bonnets, once cured it works wonders, It is 95% as effecetvie as Dynamat, which is arguably the Ferrari of Sound dedaning products-chris

ps-on a 205 id do the doors and door trims (inside) and the hatch/tailgate. Also a little tip, upgrade the Ground earth wire of the Battery to body/chassis and engine block. This will help the car and stereo too. One last little thing wouldbe to mount your number plate on some foambacked tape, plates are the n1 source for external rattles.
    Last edited by CHRI'S16; 18th January 2004 at 01:33 PM.
    ... ptui!

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks for the info CHRI'S16, I intend to sound deaden the doors, rear tailgate, and the floor of the boot. Hadn't even thought of the numberplates. I'll be using 4ga cable to earth.

I'm not worrying about rear fill as it would probably muck up the front sound stage.

What's your opinion of G-Spot?

Thread Information